VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Is your Lexus VIP or VIP-Styled? Post here and get expert opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 12:34 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
Please don't confuse the two.
well... if you look at his sig he is running 245 on 8.5 and 275 on 10... that right there tells me something... then telling us what is or isnt vip, basicly doing what he's accusing everyone else of doing... w/e... *yawn*
Old 07-01-08, 05:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I8ABMR,

I started this post when I first opened the VIP Style forum with the intent it be an educational thread for members to read and learn about what VIP and VIP Style was. There were (still are) a lot of misinformed members (and magazines, etc) calling cars VIP or VIP Styled.

You aren't furthering the objectives of this thread and are making the topic a very confrontational and antagonistic discussion... the exact opposite of what was intented here.

Please exit this thread.

All other members, I ask you to please help get this thread back on track.
Old 07-01-08, 11:17 AM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
are you kidding. Its a total checklist kind of deal. They are all the same generally. low and wide. just a few models actually qualify, and they all have the same mods man( air suspensions, exhaust, 20's,and the random fusa knot and curtains. you also see the standard body kits ( job design, juction produce, aimgain, fabulous) Dont kid yourself . They all follow a mold. If they dont guys like you would tell them its not VIP enough. Thats the prob with the VIP scene in my mind. You guys are always telling each other that your cars are not VIP and that the other guy doesnt know what VIP is. If you are not yakuza then you dont really know what VIP is I guess

No one driving a Lexus infiniti or most any other car on here is an actual 'VIP'..... maybe if your LS600hl is your 'go to work' car you could qualify. Take a look at some pics from 'vip styled' shows in Japan and see if they all fit the same mold.
Old 07-01-08, 12:59 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya c'mon guys, we have more in common than differences. we all like the style of VIP that come from japan!!
Old 07-01-08, 03:34 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The differences in views on VIP combined with the lack of VIP platforms in the US will always be a factor in the growth of VIP here in the US. In addition, some of the "experts" on the other forum are so conceded and stick to their own cliché; also hurt the spread of what is VIP. A lot of outsiders who read their comments often say they are just a bunch of stuck up people. Funny....some don't even own a VIP platform.

The 2 articles I wrote a few years back still hold true.....

http://www.hincity.com/blogs/entry.a...9C7X6E0KC7Y6WB

http://www.highsocietyvip.com/vipstyle.html
Old 07-01-08, 05:34 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Like many things in life, I suppose the definition of "VIP" is open to some interpretation. I am by no means an expert in all things VIP, but I work in the industry and am exposed to this world on at least a weekly basis. At a minimum I would expect to see the following from a VIP car:

-Rear wheel drive "big body" platform (i.e. an S2000 would not qualify)
-Low stance
-Wide wheels with aggressive offsets
-Moderate to extremely stretched tires
-Body kit

There are plenty of nice cars pictured in this tread, but for me, a set of wheels and a set of springs "do not a VIP car make..."

Another great example of an "almost VIP" car was Gato's old black cherry 2GS. This car had the right stance and wheels, but never had a body kit - to me, it was just a low, clean, cool car, but to others it was VIP. A great example of perspective...

I'm a bit active on VIPStyleCars.com and I've never claimed or represented my car as VIP. In fact, I usually put a disclaimer when posting pics of my 2GS, something like "pics of my new wheels, NOT VIP..." in the thread title or thread text. My car does certainly have some VIP look to it, but I would not classify it as outright VIP.

Recently, I posted photos on that site of my new wheels. In spite of my disclaimer, much to my surprise a few members said things like:

If thats not VIP then im not sure what magazines you guys are getting from Japan. This car could easily be in one of them. The amount of detail in this ride is what you would find in a vip magazine feature car from Japan. Maybe its not the US version of what "vip" is but it is a very well built car.
I agree. This car is VIP period. Very clean.
Sheet what you are dont matter ... you made a sick @ss car !~!
I always loved your car. Wasn't about what type of build it is, its just probably one of the best builds out there. I really really like the Zone 10s also, great look man.
At the end of the day, unless your goal from the outset is to build a VIP car, I say don't worry about it and do your own thing. I was never one to color between the lines anyway!
Old 07-01-08, 06:49 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Everyone assumes that there are a set of guidelines to what VIPStyle is, but in actuality, its a group of enthusiast that have modified their cars to suit their taste and called it a style. That's why there is no rule, guidelines or requirements for this. Everybody else is just following that original group's taste in mods, who are we to say what it is and what is not. I like the style from Japan with these (VIP)cars, and have made my mods to what I see and what I like. VIP Style or not, it's exactly what I like.

There's no trademark or copyright to "VIP Style", so someone else can call whatever they have "VIP Style". When this hit the US market, it was bound to change, just like everything else that gets adopted in society. Nothing remains as it was, and if some of us prefer the ways of the "old or original", we just have to appreciate it on our own.
Old 07-02-08, 12:37 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

vip style= styling of vip (luxury) cars. There is no real difference between vip cars and vip style cars except for the magazines. Not a big deal, you'll know if the car is vip or not. A civic with work wheels, slammed, leather interior, no matter how 'vip styled' it looks, will never be a vip styled car. It's just not the same as a big body luxury sedan.
Old 07-02-08, 06:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I started this post when I first opened the VIP Style forum with the intent it be an educational thread for members to read and learn about what VIP and VIP Style was. There were (still are) a lot of misinformed members (and magazines, etc) calling cars VIP or VIP Styled.

You aren't furthering the objectives of this thread and are making the topic a very confrontational and antagonistic discussion... the exact opposite of what was intented here.

All other members, I ask you to please help get this thread back on track.
The spirit of this post applies to others whose posts I have just removed.... that was the 'back on track' part in case you missed it.
Old 07-02-08, 11:51 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
The spirit of this post applies to others whose posts I have just removed.... that was the 'back on track' part in case you missed it.
ok ok... i'll help get this back on track... but i did think the Lacrosse comment was kinda funny

Here is my car with 'perfect fitment' with springs... unfortunately since i put on the coils and slammed her i've gone from tsuraichi to tsurauchi and... i dont like it...

Old 07-02-08, 12:40 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Just look to the vip car and vip style magazines for inspiration. Japan is the originator of this style. We follow them for what a vip car is and what isn't.
Old 07-02-08, 01:57 PM
golfkid777
Lexus Test Driver

My GS on springs.

My Q on air.

Old 07-02-08, 03:26 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

for the most part, we all know what VIP style and its origin. We all quarrel among our selves with what is what and what is not. And the end of the day, nothing is gained.

the fact of the matter is, the people outside of the VIP scene have no clue what VIP is. The general public just sees a 4 door sedan with wheels. They don't even know it's lowered, they don't even know it has a kit, they don't even know if it's sporting Work-Wald wheels or cheap ADR - lexani chromies. For the most part, they think it's no different than the 24" spinners they saw in the latest Young Jeezy video.

all our hard work and efforts all go down the drain.

the general public see's a lowrider impala and they immediately know it, they see a hot rod 67 camaro and they immediately know it. They see a 2007 mercedes S class Lorinser package and they know it. They see a older model 1998 Lexus LS400, kitted with Aimgain, 20" work wheels and slammed to the floor, and for the most part they look the other way, don't even know it's there. Heck, even the pocket rocket, rice tuners have an identity.

we as a scene strive so hard to stand out as a different genre, yet the only people who really know about it is ourselves.

Last edited by mikemareen; 07-02-08 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-02-08, 03:36 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very true. I don't get any look here when I drive my GS, LS,
only time people ask, is when they see my " Junction Produce ", they ask me why I put something on the windshield that makes no sense!
Old 07-02-08, 03:38 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
ok ok... i'll help get this back on track... but i did think the Lacrosse comment was kinda funny

Here is my car with 'perfect fitment' with springs... unfortunately since i put on the coils and slammed her i've gone from tsuraichi to tsurauchi and... i dont like it...

thats not even close to "perfect fitment". Your car sits wayy too high, you dont even need that much of a stretch cos your offsets arent that aggressive. If you were to drop it another inch those wheels would surely tuck in, and you would be tucked NOT flush. I see that you did post thats what happened, and Im sorry if you are taking offense, but I just cant stand people that use the word PERFECT. That wasnt even close to perfect fitment when your car was that height.

Quick Reply: Is your Lexus VIP or VIP-Styled? Post here and get expert opinions