VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

"VIP style" = Very Important Person

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 08:13 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its just like musical trends, alternative music can be anything from nirvana to sarah mclachlan (dont care enough to check if its spelled right) but even so they are both grouped under the same name. I doubt that if someone was to listen to one that they would consider the other to be in the same genre. either way its how people view whatever ur looking at that gives their definition. i just wouldnt sweat it... tons of idiots in this world and you cant reform them all...
Old 11-07-06, 11:28 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

man i knew it would come to this! why cant tuning cars be as simple and innocent as it used to be?!
Old 11-08-06, 05:16 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha yet again. Threxx, i definitely feel you and I think the VIPcar purists would have to agree with the origin of the letters. There are those that take ownership of the term VIP but it is what it is.... I see it as an evolution of what the term has become in regards to automotive styling. I dont think anyone will argue that VIP is an exclusive Japanese term here. I mean seriously, I dont think the Japanese alphabet even has a pronunciation for the letter "V" thats why its pronounced "Bippu"

either way, to really dig in the original history of VIP would almost be impossible. There's no way we can get in the peoples heads back then to find out what their inspiration was when gracing their cars w/ the term VIP. I've researched quite a bit and the hard part is that there is no definitive line of when VIP styling started because like everything else, its been an evolution. Gradual changes took place and so there really is no set date on when the overall styling took place.

so what is VIP? if you ask a VIPcar enthusiast.... its an exclusive styling cue that has taken home in Japan. If you ask the rest of the world. Its Very Important Person. What we can intelligently decipher, is that the VIPcar stands for the elite top. J-VIP was graced because the cars were what very important yakuza's (persons) rode in, or something of that sort.
Old 11-08-06, 05:17 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

VIP Auto Fashion plug....
www.VIPAutoFashion.com
Old 11-09-06, 08:39 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sc_sauce'd
man i knew it would come to this! why cant tuning cars be as simple and innocent as it used to be?!

Amen...........
Old 11-09-06, 07:19 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sc_sauce'd
it is simple and innocent (innocent sometimes )...some people need it to be more difficult than it is.
Old 11-10-06, 02:23 PM
Answer300
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

you know, i bet back in the day this was not an issue! the only thing that was gangsta' or somewhat vip was greasers and mafia people! they had nice cars, the cops never harrassed them about their vehicles and they could beat the snot out of you! i think now the younger generation has a misconception on what gangsta and vip really is!

MORAL OF THIS COMMENT: fix up your car the way you like; to hell with what everyone thinks about it; get you some GOJO hand cleaner when you're done; go drive it around and get some PUNANNY in that baby!
Old 11-10-06, 02:40 PM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found this and maybe this will help some for this subject

VIP Cars

History:
The VIP car style had its beginnings, oddly enough, in the poorer sections of Japan about 15 years ago. Originally, VIP cars were the creation of a group of enthusiasts called Black Cockroach in Wakayama Prefecture of Japan. The Black Cockroach team consisted of a black Cima (Infiniti Q45), Cedric (currently Infiniti M45), Celsior (Lexus LS) and Crown (no US equivalent), which were uniquely styled and exemplified the owner's personalities. Many of the VIP cars had deep ties to the Japanese underground group, better known as the Yakuza, or Japanese mafia. Keeping with the mystic and underground origins of the scene, most of the cars were colored black. In the years afterwards, a team named VIP Company was established by Takahiro Taketomi, the eventual owner of Junction Produce, a leader in VIP styling in Japan.

In the early years of the VIP movement, there was a Japanese magazine called Young Auto, which exhibited modified cars predominantly owned by Japanese motorcycle gang members. The magazine editors selected these cars to attract readers and exemplify this type of automotive modification. Before the naming of VIP cars, the cars modified in this style were called a Haiso car (high society saloon cars). As time went on, the name VIP CLUB became synonymous with the remodeling of high end luxury cars. This was the birth of the phrase VIP. VIP CLUB eventually became the very popular Japanese magazine, VIP Car Magazine. VIP Car Magazine demonstrated the artistry and quality of luxury cars modified in the VIP style and was instrumental in bringing this style of automotive customization to the public. With the help of Young Auto magazine and VIP Car Magazine, the popularity of VIP cars soon spread from Osaka, to Sendai city in Miyagi prefecture, and eventually across all of Japan.

Traditional Definition:

Tradition VIP car definition is very simple. Usually pronounced V-I-P (vee-eye-pee) and meaning Very Important Person, the true pronunciation is VIP, or bippu, where it's pronounced like a word.
Cars that fit into the VIP category are predominantly rear wheel drive Japanese luxury platforms such as the Celsior, CIMA, Cedric/Gloria, and Crown, just to name a few. These cars are usually the more expensive models and are usually purchased by the more affluent car owners. It's not a VIP Car unless it starts with one of these platforms. Many VIP purists will not consider any other platforms as VIP, even though other cars can take the styling cues from the larger VIP sedans. This is commonly known as VIP Styling which will be covered later.
Old 11-10-06, 04:00 PM
gurume74
Driver School Candidate

Fantastic description!
Old 11-10-06, 04:39 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrkenji
i found this and maybe this will help some for this subject

VIP Cars

History:
The VIP car style had its beginnings, oddly enough, in the poorer sections of Japan about 15 years ago. Originally, VIP cars were the creation of a group of enthusiasts called Black Cockroach in Wakayama Prefecture of Japan. The Black Cockroach team consisted of a black Cima (Infiniti Q45), Cedric (currently Infiniti M45), Celsior (Lexus LS) and Crown (no US equivalent), which were uniquely styled and exemplified the owner's personalities. Many of the VIP cars had deep ties to the Japanese underground group, better known as the Yakuza, or Japanese mafia. Keeping with the mystic and underground origins of the scene, most of the cars were colored black. In the years afterwards, a team named VIP Company was established by Takahiro Taketomi, the eventual owner of Junction Produce, a leader in VIP styling in Japan.

In the early years of the VIP movement, there was a Japanese magazine called Young Auto, which exhibited modified cars predominantly owned by Japanese motorcycle gang members. The magazine editors selected these cars to attract readers and exemplify this type of automotive modification. Before the naming of VIP cars, the cars modified in this style were called a Haiso car (high society saloon cars). As time went on, the name VIP CLUB became synonymous with the remodeling of high end luxury cars. This was the birth of the phrase VIP. VIP CLUB eventually became the very popular Japanese magazine, VIP Car Magazine. VIP Car Magazine demonstrated the artistry and quality of luxury cars modified in the VIP style and was instrumental in bringing this style of automotive customization to the public. With the help of Young Auto magazine and VIP Car Magazine, the popularity of VIP cars soon spread from Osaka, to Sendai city in Miyagi prefecture, and eventually across all of Japan.

Traditional Definition:

Tradition VIP car definition is very simple. Usually pronounced V-I-P (vee-eye-pee) and meaning Very Important Person, the true pronunciation is VIP, or bippu, where it's pronounced like a word.
Cars that fit into the VIP category are predominantly rear wheel drive Japanese luxury platforms such as the Celsior, CIMA, Cedric/Gloria, and Crown, just to name a few. These cars are usually the more expensive models and are usually purchased by the more affluent car owners. It's not a VIP Car unless it starts with one of these platforms. Many VIP purists will not consider any other platforms as VIP, even though other cars can take the styling cues from the larger VIP sedans. This is commonly known as VIP Styling which will be covered later.
haha yeah I like this article too here's the link to the article.
http://www.hotimportnights.com/cars/

Whether VIP is a graced or owned term it doesn't matter. No one can deny the fact that the Japanese styling cue took something and ran with it. It now has a growing popularity and really i dont care if its here to stay or short run.... the variety in vehicles we have now and the different styling cues is great for all car guys worldwide.

Kudos to just doing your car and non-conforming lines.
Old 11-11-06, 11:11 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I say Tomato...you say TOMATO...I say Potato...you say POTATO...Tomato...TOMATO...Potato...POTATO....Let's just call the whole thinnnng ooofff...."

This thread reminds me of the really old jazz song from a loooong time ago...
Old 11-11-06, 11:37 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
"I say Tomato...you say TOMATO...I say Potato...you say POTATO...Tomato...TOMATO...Potato...POTATO....Let's just call the whole thinnnng ooofff...."

This thread reminds me of the really old jazz song from a loooong time ago...
Yeah, well when you say VIP I now say Black Cockroach!
Old 11-12-06, 12:47 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cherplex
Who cares..........
i 2nd that haha
Old 11-14-06, 05:17 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

I see now.... great definition found, UptownGS!!
Now I need one for 'DUB'...
Old 11-14-06, 06:07 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
I see now.... great definition found, UptownGS!!
Now I need one for 'DUB'...
....yeah, nice write-up !!!