VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

"VIP style" = Very Important Person

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 06:09 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "VIP style" = Very Important Person

First of all I don't know why I'm commenting on this since that style of car doesn't appeal to me in the least, but it does bother me to see so many people ignorantly shaking their heads denying that VIP = "Very Important Person". I mean maybe in your mind the style has transcended the original meaning, and if so, that's fine, but at least be able to admit its roots/origins in the word.

I see people all the time saying VIP doesn't stand for anything. OK, so if it doesn't, then why are the letters typically typed out in all capital letters such as you would an acronym?

I see people all the time saying VIP is pronounced "bippu"...
No, in Japanese it's pronounced bippu. In English it's pronounced "VEE EYE PEE" or as a single syllable, "vip". Here in the US you don't read a word spelled one way and pronounce it 100% different way. If you want to CALL it bippu, then SPELL it bippu.

And somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't speak any Japanese, but I looked up the word "bippu" in two seperate japanese dictionaries online and it said "Very important person" under each of them.

So saying "VIP", when referring to the style of car, is pronounced "bippu" and claiming that means it DOES NOT mean "very important person" seems to make even less sense, if that is true.

Either I'm completely misinformed here or there are some people in some pretty serious denial about the obvious roots of the name for a style of car.
Old 11-06-06, 06:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Who cares..........
Old 11-06-06, 06:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cherplex
Who cares..........
I probably shouldn't, but it bothers me when I read stuff like that, dancing around what's so obvious to see.

Search for "bippu" on google or even on this board and you'll see there's a lot of interest on the style itself.
Old 11-06-06, 06:30 AM
Sup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VIP is the general name/term designated for the mid to large RWD sedans. The term is used by everyone, regardless if the car has been modded or is bone stock.
Old 11-06-06, 06:57 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sup
VIP is the general name/term designated for the mid to large RWD sedans. The term is used by everyone, regardless if the car has been modded or is bone stock.
Well I've definitely heard a large group of people say that VIP = a certain 'style' of modification that has to be done to a certain TYPE of car (primarily the larger flagship luxury brand cars).

But it's plain to see where the term VIP came from in the first place - you're turning a car sometimes used to drive around very important people, and you're making it look even moreso like a VIP car.
Old 11-06-06, 07:50 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

you probably should post under VIP thread.
Old 11-06-06, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well for sure vip means very important person, i learned about this probably 20+ yrs ago when i was a very small kid watching tv and they talk about presidents, etc... as "vip - very important person"

i guess the term got adapted to big sedans due to the fact that often times they are used to hold those vip.
Old 11-06-06, 11:33 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

V.I.P - (Meaning) Very Important Person
VIP - Bippu (Japanese)

Whoever choses to adopt VIP as bippu or V.I.P., I don't see why it really matters. If I were to spell grey or gray...does that really matter? 2 seperate cultures...most here say bippu to follow the culture but we all know V.I.P. also means very important person...so...

Old 11-06-06, 11:54 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
V.I.P - (Meaning) Very Important Person
VIP - Bippu (Japanese)

Whoever choses to adopt VIP as bippu or V.I.P., I don't see why it really matters. If I were to spell grey or gray...does that really matter? 2 seperate cultures...most here say bippu to follow the culture but we all know V.I.P. also means very important person...so...

Point is VIP = V.I.P. = Bippu

They can all refer to the style of car which was originally named that way because of the words "Very Important Person" and they can all have the literal meaning of "Very Important Person"

Your example of grey vs gray is exactly my point.

There are people in the "VIP style" community who will swear up and down that the letters "VIP" in reference to the style have absolutely nothing to do with the words "very important person" despite that the literal translation of "bippu" is "very important person".

The people I'm presenting this to are the people who are saying, as per your example, that "grey" is nothing at all like "gray". I'm saying, yes they are.
Old 11-06-06, 12:10 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I don't think we are denying the fact that the root word of the style is "Very Important person". The separation that we are trying to achieve is the fact that there is a difference between the two. One main reason why we are trying to differetiate this style is to give the rest of the world (aside from Japan) a detached perception on what "VIPStyle" is. Because everybody knows that this style is totally different from what a VIP (Very Important Person) will drive or be driven in.
Old 11-06-06, 12:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Your point is certainly valid that historically the VIP term originated from the same sort of meaning of importance / important person as the traditional VIP acronym implies.

Does VIP styling / bippu still carry the same aura of 'importance' as the VIP acronym? IMO yes.

Originally Posted by Threxx
Point is VIP = V.I.P. = Bippu
So is it the same thing now? IMO absolutely not.
  • Would President Bush be consider a VIP? Certainly yes.
  • Would President Bush be considered bippu? No. First of all, the presidential limo's offsets are way too weak

Threxx, I think you're taking exception with the evolution of a term which doesn't really make sense. Words change over time and are reused for different terms that often have some similar characteristics as the original word (such as VIP / Bippu carries). They are not the same.
Old 11-06-06, 01:39 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
[*]Would President Bush be considered bippu? No. First of all, the presidential limo's offsets are way too weak [/LIST]
LMAO....
Old 11-06-06, 02:09 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I understand your frustrations Threxx. IMO I dont think a car with 24's is this "DUBStyle". Dubs are 20's or a company so how it applies to a style, Im lost.

I let it go though. I am living a happier life.
Old 11-06-06, 02:27 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I think where I might be losing some of you with my point is that I am simply saying that the letters "VIP" in "VIP Style" still stand for "very important person".

Once you add the word "style" to the end of it, it can take almost any definition that general society would like to give it. Just like as mentioned, DUBStyle should mean 20" wheels, but over time the definition has morphed to mean 20" or bigger. I could start a trend called "pimp style" and while the original intention of the style was to create a car that looks like what a pimp might drive, it doesn't literally mean the person is a pimp, and over time the style may even migrate.

So my only point here is that just because you add the word "style" to the word "VIP" doesn't change the original meaning of the word.

Calling it "bippu" doesn't change anything either because that just means "VIP" in japanese... not even "VIP Style"... it just means "VIP", unless the dictionary is leaving that part out? But I guess if the dicitonary is right then yeah you could call George Bush "Bippu"... but probably not "Bippu Style" as then you'd likely be referring to the style of car.

Oh well, I'm not going to worry myself over it. Just an observation.
Old 11-07-06, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lol, i think dave's post is the winner here

Quick Reply: "VIP style" = Very Important Person