VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Air suspension guru's

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 09:44 PM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension guru's

for the LS430's with UL, can the air ride shocks be replaced with aftermarket shocks? would aftermarket shocks be better than factory shocks is what I am aiming at.

this is all speculation, since I dont own a lexus, yet...
Old 07-20-07, 09:49 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

what are your intentions as far as suspension is concerned?
Old 07-20-07, 10:09 PM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

well, with the air ride controller, and maybe aftermarket shocks, a smoother ride than factory on the road? I am not sure. dont have an LS yet, but just wanted to know if anyone had gone down this road of replacing their factory shocks with aftermarket shocks on their factory air ride.
Old 07-21-07, 10:56 AM
chubby
Lead Lap

i know this may sound obvious to some, but air shocks are completely different from what you think are "aftermarket shocks." if you're talking in terms of coil suspension then you are way off. you're just going backwards. if you are talking in terms of air suspension, factory is almost always the best thing to use - they didnt engineer these cars with air suspension for nothing, catch my drift? if you think a lexus with factory air suspension isn't smooth, then consider a better brand car (of your preference)
Old 07-23-07, 07:24 PM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

this thread was made under speculation. I may have not been clear enough for you. after looking at some advertisements from air runner in VIP magazine, I wondered if anyone has replaced their factory air shocks with an aftermarket air shock like the air runners

I was curious if the aftermarket replacement for the factory air ride shocks(and shocks only) have any benefits(cost? serviceability?)? just wondering if this is a something worth going in to...
Old 07-23-07, 11:55 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couldn't help ... I chose a different route ... I hear good things about the company ... Maybe someone with airrunner can help ?
Old 08-11-07, 03:03 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not going to 'ride' better than stock.

If you want adjustability, then go aftermarket. If you're looking for a better ride, get your car serviced and suspension parts replaced
Old 08-11-07, 10:51 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Tein CS-T's ride better than stock, but then again, you want air.

Bottom line is you're going to have to sacrifice something...
Old 08-11-07, 03:44 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Ride quality on a factory UL is the best you're gonna get as far as comfort is concerned. Air Runners would have to be a close 2nd as far as comfort, but with the added feature of performance adjustable dampers.

Now, if you're asking if you can replace the struts on a UL and leave the actual factory air bags in there. The answer is no, both strut and bags are incorporated.
Old 08-12-07, 10:59 AM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

There are many Celsior Bippu guys in Japan replaces OEM air suspension to the after market air set up. For faster height control, more precise controllability (more than what Data System Controller can adjust) etc...

If you are looking for a comfortable ride, I would just stick with OEM and not spend extra $$ on after market.

You will loose Lexus comfort once you start play around with height drop, bigger rims/thinner tires.

But for those love for the Bippu looks, comfort may not be the top of your priority
Old 08-12-07, 11:34 AM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Ride quality on a factory UL is the best you're gonna get as far as comfort is concerned. Air Runners would have to be a close 2nd as far as comfort, but with the added feature of performance adjustable dampers.

Now, if you're asking if you can replace the struts on a UL and leave the actual factory air bags in there. The answer is no, both strut and bags are incorporated.
whooo! you came closest to what I was asking. I was wondering if the shocks/struts/bags combo can be replaced with aftermarket ones, but still have the factory air ride system in place? but with all of these answers to my questions, I have a better grasp on what can and can not be done.
Old 08-15-07, 03:50 PM
AFLS430
Driver

There is actually a company in japan that uses the factory bag and puts a coilover strut in there and it can be lowered through that.
Old 08-18-07, 09:08 PM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

Am I asking the right questions here?

with the factory air lines, controller, compressor in place, can the shock(or strut)/airbag be replaced with aftermarket ones in hopes of better handling capabilities?
Old 08-18-07, 09:42 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by 6spd
Am I asking the right questions here?

with the factory air lines, controller, compressor in place, can the shock(or strut)/airbag be replaced with aftermarket ones in hopes of better handling capabilities?
No, the OEM air management won't work with AM bags.
Old 08-19-07, 02:47 AM
6spd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
No, the OEM air management won't work with AM bags.
why is that? the fittings on the airbags? cant the fittings be replaced?

Quick Reply: Air suspension guru's