VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Is the media killing VIP style as we know it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 06:25 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the media killing VIP style as we know it?

There have been a few articles about VIP style that have been very well written and for the most part accurate. But lately, as the trend grows, there are a couple of articles that concerns me very much. Are these editors/writters really doing research, or are they making things up as they go along. Part of the influence could be from the owners of the cars that they feature, but I've been to a lot of photoshoots and most of the time the owners have no say to what is getting published. So, this bring me back to the writers and editors and the magazine itself. There's a lot of VIP styled cars in the US now, so why feature cars like these if they want to write an article or feature VIP cars.

Import Tuner:
Trendsetter - 1993 Nissan 240SX S13
This Z-Powered Sylvia Is A Brand-New Breed Of Style
writer: Jackie Liu
photographer: Henry Z. DeKuyper

Last Paragraph,
"In spite of his vast industry connections, don't be fooled into thinking that Andrade was able to write off the whole project. He estimates that he has spent well over $30,000 on upgrades and modifications. While others balk and argue that he could have just bought a new BMW or Lexus with that money, they are missing the point. The appeal of VIP style is that it allows you to purchase a relatively affordable vehicle, whether it costs $2000 or $20,000, and have that additional money for upgrades that you would never have in purchasing a car right off the lot. Look for more of Andrade as he continues to show the world what VIP style is all about, and how to make it your own."

Link: http://www.importtuner.com/features/...ble/index.html

Modified Magazine:
Bippu Love - 1989 R32 Skyline GTS-T Type M
Story: David Pratte
Photos: Gerry Frechette

First Paragraph,
"For those of you who follow automotive trends coming out of Japan, then the whole VIP thing won’t be new to you. But for the uninitiated, VIP styling is perhaps the hottest trend to emerge from Japan in recent years, focusing on aggressive but clean styling that was first seen on Yakuza (Japan’s mafia) machines cruising the mean streets of Tokyo and Osaka. These were traditionally all big four-door luxury barges that had been pimped out with really aggressive offset large diameter wheels, fender flares to match, and a super low ride (often achieved with air bag suspension) along with a very plush interior. However, like all emerging trends, the VIP style, or “Bippu” as it’s called in Japan, has evolved into a more varied and nuanced form of vehicle enhancement that includes not only the big luxury cruisers favored by the gangster-class but also more traditional tuner platforms and even sub-compacts."

Link: http://www.modified.com/sportculture...ture_1207.html
Old 11-27-07, 06:38 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In on page 1...will be back to EDIT
Old 11-27-07, 06:41 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG that S13 has a table! That MUST be VIP!

(- -)凸

PS: The R32 looks like every other car at the touge in Japan...Not VIP, but do like the VIP inspired look.
Old 11-27-07, 06:42 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

nothin like bad info.......

the import tuner article is the most disturbing.
Old 11-27-07, 06:42 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

This is gonna be good.

VIP style is very misrepresented in the media.
Old 11-27-07, 07:05 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I guess people are starting to believe that it's a all about the mods and not about the car. I wonder where would they get an idea like that.
Old 11-27-07, 07:30 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

poy, its me tu. i'm going to agree with you. to put it in short, all of that noise the media is putting down is that if any car has a show car appearance that is tuned conservatively, it is considered vip and i dont like that vision at all
Old 11-27-07, 07:44 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by chubby
poy, its me tu. i'm going to agree with you. to put it in short, all of that noise the media is putting down is that if any car has a show car appearance that is tuned conservatively, it is considered vip and i dont like that vision at all
Yeah Tu, it's not good. The reason why I wanted to stay traditional. It's really sad to have a good car culture go to waste.
Old 11-27-07, 07:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,387 Posts

I read the same sort of thing in almost any magazine article that mentions VIP, 50% of use of related terms seem to be incorrect. While I'm not by any measure a VIP expert and I don't own a VIP modified car, I think I know at least the basics and history of VIP and VIP styling.

I think what is considered purist VIP is done for in the next two-three years. How will VIP die? In three ways:

1) Continuous misinformation / misuse of terminology by the media or because it's cool to be called VIP (just like "JDM"). At nearly every car show over the last two years I have a show judge or someone with the show call my GS VIP and I have to correct them that its not; it's pervasive to the point there is miseducation for those who should know better.

2) More mainstream application of VIP-styling. I think many of the 'well done' VIP-styled cars (not traditional big body VIP) are very cool and look great, but for every well done one there are two dozen self-VIP-styled cars that aren't anywhere close and the owner often doesn't recognize it.

3) Migration of VIP style in Japan to flashier designs that seem more DUB than VIP. I don't care for many of them and see it more and more... I think there will be subtle resistance to the changing style in the US because of the conflict with DUB styling. Maybe this is just me because I haven't seen others express it, but I prefer the more traditional and classy stuff.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-27-07 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 08:31 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It can't be helped. There are not enough passionate enthusiasts to "maintain" this situation.

At least the 240 doesn't have a fusa?
Old 11-27-07, 08:43 PM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

This is why I support your site and post most of my pics and build up threads on there.

Its becoming harder to educate new followers of the style because like someone noted, the trend in japan is leaning more towards DUB. If you tell someone that something is not VIP, they will tell you that they seen it in a VIP magazine so it has to be.
Old 11-27-07, 09:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The sad part is, as we in America are trying to follow the true form of traditional Japanese VIP, but at the same time those in Japan are trying to follow Western culture and DUB Style...hence magazines like "LA Style" and what not. Go figure.
Old 11-27-07, 11:55 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thing is, Import Tuner... what a joke of a magazine first of all... and the young'ns buy it/read it/take it as the word of god Kinda like when fast n furious first came out, us old farts thought it was a entertaining MOVIE until ppl started believing it...

Unfortunately bippu is still 'new' in the states and misinformation at the 'dawn' will cause a bunch of ppl to 'get it wrong' right off the bat... oh well...

About Japan likes US and US likes Japan:
I lived in japan for 4yrs, i couldnt get enough Takeshi Miike/Takeshi Kitano films BUT NONE of my japanese friends would ever want to see one with me they ALWAYS wanted to watch something from hollywood...

Last edited by llamaboiz; 11-28-07 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-28-07, 07:17 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Something to take into consideration is that this is 2 totally diffirent cultures we are talking about and BOTH are borrowing styling cues from the other and its a beautiful thing. I bet wheels you'd laugh at here would sell in 2 seconds in japan since they were from the US.

It's like religion, some of us follow it strictly, some use the parts they like, some do neither.

It doesn't help that some of the styling cues they use in japan can be mistaken in the US for styling cues from another group of people (candy paint lowrider with chrome fender trim and small wheels, you feel me?)

Since there isn't a 2LOW 2VIP to educate the masses on VIP its going to stay underground and unfortunatly, will ulitimetly evolve into an amalgamation of VIP, Dub, and other styles.
Old 11-28-07, 08:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

as much as what some people (editors) think, i think vip is still very new to america. and sadly enough, a lot of them really don't have enough knowledge about the trend but they are making judgments already. they are giving out a lot of wrong information which in turns educate the public incorrectly.

it will take some time for america to truly understand what vip is and what defines vip. the culture was in japan for so long before they are what they are today. i will give it another 3-5 yrs for america to develop on vip.

to me the main thing is to have more people like us to be aware of vip and do the right thing. only then we can go out and tell people what's right

Quick Reply: Is the media killing VIP style as we know it?