VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Joining the Fender Modding Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 06:48 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Joining the Fender Modding Club

So I have some wheels that are coming in, somewhat aggressive.

Background
1 - I will need to have the fenders of my 2GS shaved and pulled.
2 - Will be running air suspension by the time the wheels get in
3 - Want to only run about 4degrees of negative camber

What are the step that I should do? How can I make sure I get perfect fitment (with 4degrees of camber) if the wheels won't fit beforehand. My wheels won't fit under the fender at ride hieght so how can I align it properly?

I don't like the whole make my wheels fit the car trick, I like the car to fit the wheels, but I know that takes a little more planning.

I know I probably am not asking the right questions, or the right order, but I hope you guys get the idea. There's a bunch of guys here with some SERIOUS fitment, so how you can help

Chris

Last edited by excluesive; 03-24-09 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 11:56 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn chris. good luck lol I cant wait to see the finished product.
Old 03-25-09, 03:21 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have air or super aggressive wheels on my current 2gs but have read alot and modded my fenders plus have on other cars. so some things to ask to clarify further:

- what are the specs on the wheels?
- how much stretch are you going to run?
- what size rims?
- when you say -4 camber, is that front or rear or both?
- is -4 at ride height or when down?
- what ride height are you going to be running and can you suss out approx how much camber that will be, as you may need a/m arms to get -4 at that height.

as for alignment, you cant have it all ways. you have to get it aligned at the height you're normally at which is ride height.

as far as not fitting at ride height/current setup, you have to do the maths basically. to get "perfect fitment" you need to say measure your current wheels relative to camber and tyre stretch. then work out if you are going to have more or less stretch. Then i would say maybe get your car set to -4 all round if you can, just so you can then see how much different it will make in clearance. Then get all your guards shaved since you know you will need to do that, and get your air on. Then when the wheels come fit the tyres you want and put them on the car and see if you need to pull the fenders.

the best way ideally is to get your air on, shave your guards, then get it to the height you want with -4 (where you are going to get it aligned) and put on some other rims and take some physical measurements.

at the end of the day what you will find is the guys with the best fitment didnt just go Stock -> Perfect Aggressive Fitment
they probably went Stock -> Mild Fitment -> Test Fit -> Aggressive Fitment -> Perfect fitment!

its very much trial and error so the more playing around with setups to get as close as you can before committing, the better.
Old 03-25-09, 01:35 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

What is somewhat aggressive to you?

What are the specs of your wheels so we have a better idea of what you will need to do. If your in the +20's offset I don't think you'll have much problems with the fitment, especially on air.
Old 03-27-09, 09:15 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn 4 degrees? The offsets must be in the negatives or the wheels must be super wide. Or maybe both. Lets get some specs! Also, if you are looking to get your fenders pulled, do not cut or shave.
Old 03-28-09, 02:04 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

^ wouldnt it be easier to give them a slight pull once theyre shaven? otherwise you have to hammer them flat then pull them and they get stuffed?

as for the camber, i have -2 rear with 10" +24 almost flush, and Vincent has -7 with 10" +/-0, so divide those both by two then -4.5 or so could be for around 10" +10ish which isnt that wide or aggressive really.

so i would say he is going more aggressive than that, but doesnt want to run like -7. hence needing a pull possibly.

any word on specs yet mate?