VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

Question for the VIP guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 09:56 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question for the VIP guys

Where you guys picking up these wheels at?

Every site iv been to doesn't give you the option of choosing your own Offset? Is there a company that deals in Customizing wheels? Like offset and Width? if so what company(s) are there out there?

ALSO what is the Math equation (if there is one) to find out how much offset or Negative Offset is too much and how much they would stick out of the fenders. Im Very good at Eyeing rims up to see if they will fit but i want to know how i could tell what i would need to do, modification wise, for wheels i would order offline.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-25-09, 10:27 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most people order through vendors who deal with Japanese rims companies. You can order your own offsets for no extra charge within a certain range for Japanese multi piece wheels. just visit some of their sites e.g. Work, Rays, Leon Hardiritt etc etc and they will have sizing charts with wheel size, wheel width, standard 'off the shelf' offsets, then an offset range that is available by special order. in brackets next to the offset is the amount of dish you get in mm. Also these charts are normally divided into 2 or 3 columns by Disk Size which is how much brake clearance they have.

as far as math equation most people just measure compared to stock or whatever they have on the car and work out the maths. The other thing to use is the wheel offset calculator on 1010tires.com (google search wheel offset calculator). With this you put in your current rim width and offset and your new one and it tells you how much further out it will stick
Old 03-25-09, 11:26 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

So just so i understand this site correctly
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

When i input the STOCK is-f wheel (rear) which is 9 inch wide with a +35 mm offset (correct me if im wrong)
the the Desired wheel which is a 10.5 inch wide with -25mm
its saying

41mm more
EXTEND an extra 79mm

Meaning i have 41 mm on the inside edge of the wheel clearance wise based on the strut (41mm of space before it rubs on the strut)

and 79mm sticking out Past the Fender? meaning it would stick out More then 3.1 inches from the car?

Last edited by JDMmuscle; 03-25-09 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 04:09 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

okay, for the width of a stock is-f wheel i dont know those specs..but as for the result from the calculator:

you have said up there you put in 9 +35 and then new spec of 10.5 -25.

Was that negative sign a type? Did you mean 10.5 +25? If you did mean -25 then yes that result is correct. If you meant +25 (so an extra 1.5" width and 10mm less offset than a stock wheel) then you get:

9mm less
Extend an extra 29mm

so that would stick out an extra 1 1/4" or so.

And no, the first figure, where in your example it has said "41mm more" this is inner clearance compared to stock. So on your 10.5 -25 it is saying you will have 41mm more clearance to your strut than the stock 9 +35 wheel. But when i did the recalculation for you above on 10.5 +25 (assuming you made a typo) then the result is 9mm less clearance to the strut.

hope this clears it up for ya!
Old 03-26-09, 10:29 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

you the man, thanks a bunch

the -25 wasnt a typo, but i dont know if the calculator does negative offsets because i got the same numbers with -25 as well as +25

basically i want to fit a 20x8.5 -15 front and a 20x10.5 -25 in the rear, and i wanted to get an idea of how much modification im going to have to do to the fenders
Old 03-26-09, 05:15 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

^ right-o, thats some wild offsets! i'm pretty sure it does do negative and positive offsets because i did +25 and got the numbers i did, and you got different ones.

as someone said on your topic on VIPstylecars, you have to bear in mind that the extra amount sticking out is from where the stock wheel sits. So you need to do some measuring and thinking e.g. say your stock wheel sits in about 15mm, then you have say 15mm of guard lip, so take off those (30mm) from the 79mm result and you get 49mm out from the actual car itself. Then you need to account for camber. My rims stick out almost an inch when the car is jacked up but they sink under when i lower it. Thats a bit of a hard one to account for though unless you know.

they are some aggressive sizes mate, good luck with it!
Old 03-27-09, 09:22 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a wheel with the widths and offsets you want why dont you go with CCW wheel? Im buying a set for my brother's SC. I want to throw 12' widths on the front and 13' widths for the rear. With CCW you can choose to go up to 17' wide with any offset your little heart desires.