VIP Style Discuss Lexus VIP and Lexus VIP Styled cars.

air solenoid location theory.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-13, 06:19 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
its a d2 racing double bellow 4 corner setup.
alright that explains the double bellow how's the ride? I know D2 ksport and Air Force are all built in the same factory and my ksport a rode great when I had their coils.
Old 12-08-13, 06:45 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

harsh over these detroit are michigan streets but awesome on the highway. Its very stiff, handles great, sharp turn in with very minimal body roll.
Run 80 psi front, 65 rear at ride height. Loving the high speed damping but severly over damped on lower speed stuff (45 mph).

They definitely take a bunch of volume to fill up.

Always have to air it up over ride height pressure, then lower it down a bit for proper height at preset pressure.
Which involves waiting for the tank to fill up again.
Old 12-08-13, 08:53 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

harsh over these detroit are michigan streets but awesome on the highway. Its very stiff, handles great, sharp turn in with very minimal body roll.
Run 80 psi front, 65 rear at ride height. Loving the high speed damping but severly over damped on lower speed stuff (45 mph).

They definitely take a bunch of volume to fill up.

Always have to air it up over ride height pressure, then lower it down a bit for proper height at preset pressure.
Which involves waiting for the tank to fill up again.
if you switched over to elevel you wouldn't have to do that
Old 12-09-13, 10:32 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

how so? its just a management system, nothing to do with the volume and pressure required to lift 5k lbs. It can keep trying to get more pressure in the bag but if theyre not a high enough difference between tank and bag, even a 10k management system wont do anyone any good.

Even when i install the height sensors, it will try to keep the valves open as long as possible to reach max height, but again, if not enough pressure difference, it wont go higher and will time out. I can hodl the valves open manually with the dakota but doesnt help.

Bottom line, i think being 4 double bellows, it takes a huge amount of volume, where a 5 gallon at 150psi pressure just wont deliver. I got a 170-200psi switch on order. Tank and all fittings are DOT rated so should be ok. If anything blows..well, lets just hope it doesnt.

im still goign to go through and use soapy water everywhere to eliminate possibilities of leaks. Systme is 4 years old now.

Last edited by Greg5OH; 12-09-13 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 09:18 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

how so? its just a management system, nothing to do with the volume and pressure required to lift 5k lbs. It can keep trying to get more pressure in the bag but if theyre not a high enough difference between tank and bag, even a 10k management system wont do anyone any good.

Even when i install the height sensors, it will try to keep the valves open as long as possible to reach max height, but again, if not enough pressure difference, it wont go higher and will time out. I can hodl the valves open manually with the dakota but doesnt help.

Bottom line, i think being 4 double bellows, it takes a huge amount of volume, where a 5 gallon at 150psi pressure just wont deliver. I got a 170-200psi switch on order. Tank and all fittings are DOT rated so should be ok. If anything blows..well, lets just hope it doesnt.

im still goign to go through and use soapy water everywhere to eliminate possibilities of leaks. Systme is 4 years old now.
Funny you say that I install ls 460 with triple bellow and they have now issue lifting to full ride height with the pressure switch being at 150psi. The elevel works with the pressure switch along with the height sensors to fill the system to the desired ride hieght. I would think you may have a lot of water in your tanks which would not allow it to lift up. The size of the bags is not the issue since you contuine to add volume as it fills. I have double in the front and rear on my car and have no issue at 150 I would see if there is water in your tank.
Old 12-09-13, 09:26 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

interesting, ill have to take a look. Such a pain to get to it, will be modifying the false floor for an easy open lid without having to remove the whole sound system. Might get to it on wed after work...well see how it is with time, need to change my front BJs before thursday as well, yikes
Old 12-12-13, 02:49 AM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind had the same problem you do when I first installed my air. only had a 150 psi switch and viaair 380, I had to air front( not enough), air back(to fill a lil and turn compressor on) fill front to height, then fill rear to height. all that just to start driving. friggin ridiculous right. lol. I programmed my switch to 200 psi and scooped up a pair of 480s.life is so much better. your ccompressors kickon at 165 to refill, so you should never be without enough air to fill all at once. or at least hit front to ride height then hit back to height and should still have like 180ish in there. but I did find out that not all brands of air bags/struts operate at the same psi. I know most peeps with air runners or airrex operate pretty low(normal) @90-115. but I am running air force and I need at least 150 in my tank to lift it(for the pressure) but I drive it at 135-145 and that keeps me low. also correct me if im wrong, but try NOT dumping all the way down to 10-15 psi. I usually dump down till know my car isnt sitting on the bag itself so im resting on frame or you get to the point where youre dumping but car isnt going down then stop so you still have like sayyyy idk like 35 psi for example. theres still air in line and bags but its not under pressure. and itll take a little less to fill. thats just what I have gathered through my experiences. but please correct me if im wrong. sorry for the long story..........
Old 12-13-13, 11:46 PM
mlum808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reading through all this.... if your on a coil over type set up.. It really sounds like your struts are to short. you shouldnt have to wait for the bags to fill to a ceratin PSI before it starts to get any movement. There should be a smooth motion when you press the swtich.

AirREX Set ups come only with an 3 gallon tank and opperates on 200 psi . That 3 gallon has enough Pressure and volume in there to give you one good full lift to full up.

If what your saying you have is a 5 gallon and 380c that should do the job easy with that much air.

Try doing this

1 Raise the car all the way up
2Manually lower the Front
3 watch the car go down
4 when you see the car stop moving depress the switch.
5 look at your PSI. it should be at zero.

Repeat that for the rears.

If you have pressure still in the bags that means your struts are adjusted to short. and you are not getting the full travel from the bags and what also is happening is that now when you press the switch to Zero out the psi.. car is already bottomed out and your shaft is not and bag are not fully compressed.

So now when you air up the bag has to fill to a certain PSI before it starts to move the car up.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 12-13-13, 11:48 PM
mlum808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AIRREX requires 200 PSI tank presure and it is not a low pressure bag like AIr runner is. Bag on air rex are rated for 300 to 400 Maxi PSI. well over what the system can produce.

Originally Posted by Riksgs808
I kind had the same problem you do when I first installed my air. only had a 150 psi switch and viaair 380, I had to air front( not enough), air back(to fill a lil and turn compressor on) fill front to height, then fill rear to height. all that just to start driving. friggin ridiculous right. lol. I programmed my switch to 200 psi and scooped up a pair of 480s.life is so much better. your ccompressors kickon at 165 to refill, so you should never be without enough air to fill all at once. or at least hit front to ride height then hit back to height and should still have like 180ish in there. but I did find out that not all brands of air bags/struts operate at the same psi. I know most peeps with air runners or airrex operate pretty low(normal) @90-115. but I am running air force and I need at least 150 in my tank to lift it(for the pressure) but I drive it at 135-145 and that keeps me low. also correct me if im wrong, but try NOT dumping all the way down to 10-15 psi. I usually dump down till know my car isnt sitting on the bag itself so im resting on frame or you get to the point where youre dumping but car isnt going down then stop so you still have like sayyyy idk like 35 psi for example. theres still air in line and bags but its not under pressure. and itll take a little less to fill. thats just what I have gathered through my experiences. but please correct me if im wrong. sorry for the long story..........
Old 12-16-13, 02:14 AM
Riksgs808
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what I was trying to say is, that it doesent take much psi to lift or ride on a set of airrex and air runners vs my air force set. I dont know why. but it is what it is.........
Old 12-16-13, 08:10 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Riksgs808
what I was trying to say is, that it doesent take much psi to lift or ride on a set of airrex and air runners vs my air force set. I dont know why. but it is what it is.........
air runner and Air Force use the same style bag. the thickness is very then and that why there have been so many complaints about these bags lately