Wheels and Tires Classifieds All rims and tires for sale belong here.

Has anyone shipped wheels from U.S. to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 11:24 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Has anyone shipped wheels from U.S. to Canada?

Sorry,

I understand that this may not be the 100% appropriate question for this forum, but since it's concerning wheels I would be very grateful if someone can help me on this matter.

I have been trying to ship a set of wheels to Canada via UPS Ground, which charges substantially more than what I imagine would cost ($208.18). What's even more interesting is that on the very next day, the price has gone up to $214 with the same box dimensions and weight. Oh well, that I can live with.

What I don't understand is that UPS stated I would have to fill out something called the Commercial Invoice. And that I have to state either both parties' SS # or Tax ID # on the form, if not the items would be held by the Canadian customs.

Also, UPS told me that I would have to specify where the parts I am sending were manufactured. Supposedly, parts that were made in the U.S., Mexico or Canada receive preferential treatments. Arrrgh... I guess Lexus SC430 wheels are made in Japan?

For privacy's sake, I don't really feel comfortable giving away this information. Could anyone share his/her experiences regarding shipping wheels to Canada? Did you have to go through the same thing or is Canadian customs more forgiving than what UPS thinks?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jon
Old 10-30-08, 04:16 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a homeboy that works for fedex and i had another friend who shipped wheels through him to canuck land and i never heard of them asking for that kind of info. My friend would have told me they asked for all this BS info is etc etc. and would have told me its alll bs! like telling/asking me whatsup with all this!!
Old 10-30-08, 03:08 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If shipping with Fedex Ground to Canada you need to have an account with them. At least that's how it was a few years ago. Setting up an account should be free and you need to have a credit card on hand. UPS might be different so they may require all that information.
Old 10-30-08, 04:47 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Canada and I have sent/received wheels via UPS ground many times.

Yes you do need to fill out a form which specifies the country of manufacture. This determines if there will be duty or not. If its made in the USA/Canada/Mexico then NAFTA states there will not be duty charged to the buyer.

I just shipped some wheels via UPS ground from Canada to the US and had to fill out the form. I never has the SS # or Tax ID so I leave them blank. Never had a problem shipping or receiving.
Old 10-30-08, 11:24 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the helpful information everyone. I appreciate it.

I wonder if Lexus OEM SC430 wheels are made in either US/Mexico/Canada... I guess not.

Jon
Old 10-31-08, 01:39 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as you know Lexus is a USA brand, hence the wheels should be made in the USA.