Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Anyone Else Waiting an Eternity on an Expensive Wheel Order?(AFTER 1/2 YEAR, RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 07:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
man for some reasons the tires look so meaty, maybe i am just not used to it
275 rears on 9" rims is FAT. I want to put 285's on my 10" rims next time.
Old 01-26-04, 07:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
275 rears on 9" rims is FAT. I want to put 285's on my 10" rims next time.
oh it's 9 in the back? no wonder why it looks so fat... yeah with 9 i think 265 is more appropriate.

i am tempted to do 285 next time i get new tires too
Old 01-27-04, 02:27 PM
LexFather

Your car looks great! So does your crib!. Mark and X next to the good guys...
Old 02-03-04, 06:25 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I just tuned back into the thread. I had to unsubscribe since it was so painful reading it. To compare service levels. The HRE 540Rs I ordered in Late December are done and are being shipped to me. Now if I can only get DaveH to get my intake manifold back then I can drive my car again. That is becoming a saga like this one.

Last edited by Hermosa; 02-03-04 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 02:47 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Those look awesome. I'm not going to make any "Worth the wait" type comments though.

Hermosa - Are we going to have to do another thread like this for your intake manifold and my body kit?

Last edited by Vegassc400; 02-05-04 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 05:56 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

I've got 285's on my 10" wide rear rims and am rubbing bad...+49 offset on Zauber Gettins. I think if I were to do it again I would probably buy another set of 275's!
Old 02-05-04, 07:39 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GS4ADRLexo
I've got 285's on my 10" wide rear rims and am rubbing bad...+49 offset on Zauber Gettins. I think if I were to do it again I would probably buy another set of 275's!
Who came up with that offset and design for you? Did you specify what you wanted overall when they had them designed for you?
Old 02-05-04, 07:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GS4ADRLexo
that's kinda hard to understand though. +49 is very conservative setup (i assume you have the 2nd gen gs). my 20s are 10 +43 in the back and i have 275, but i still have around another 2mm to go. if you are on 10 +49 with 285, i thought it should fit?

no matter what, if it rubs, just shave the fender a bit
Old 02-16-04, 07:52 AM
jjc01
Rookie

Default Yes, I still live!

Gents:

Please forgive my recent silence. I did not abandon the site, just needed to get away for a while. You all were so supportive in my time of need that I always ensured I did a lot in the way of preparation with every post. It was very time consuming (I know your probably thinking I had a LOT of time while I was waiting for my wheels. . .), I had been ignoring my family a bit, and I wanted to make things right with them before I returned for more regular participation. I also wouldn’t be honest if I didn’t admit the endless wait, communications with Discover Card, BBB, and other attempts to get my money back, was in truth more emotionally taxing than I could admit. I have to tell you, when the ordeal finally ended, I felt like I had been cured or a sinus infection after living with it for six months. . . . For those of you who have never experienced a sinus infection, I apologize. For those of you who have, you know what I mean when I say we discover we’ve been needlessly tolerating a level of discomfort and confusion we no longer could accurately perceive, because we had automatically acclimated, and pressed on with life, despite the anguish of our symptoms. . .

Thank you for the compliments you have bestowed upon the new look of my GS. I have to tell you up front that I probably did go one size too large with the rear tires, because they rub slightly when I hit a good-sized dip. It’s funny, because a bump or pothole won’t do it, but the right dip or moderately hard cornering (I know, what a bummer!) will do it every time. I’m still working on the corrective measure.

I arrived at the tire size by using the wheel/tire configuration calculator at a tire/wheel web site (it is not their fault it is mine, so their name is not important). When I plugged my existing tire and wheel size into the calculator, and plussed-up from 16, to 18,” factoring-in the staggered set-up, it told me I needed a 275s for the rears, so that’s what I purchased and mounted. Next time around, I will go with the 265s, but I do want to note that I very carefully checked the circumference of the 275s prior to making the purchase, and that size in fact gave me the exact replacement (in circumference) for my stock tires. So I guess when the time comes and I do change to a 265, my rear wheels will actually be spinning a little faster for the same speed than they do now. I love the look of the 275s, but I mention this aspect so you so will not make the same mistake I did when it comes to the fitment of your rear tires with a stock set-up.

I never received an answer from the manufacturer for my request on how I can purchase additional valve stems. I think I have been “marked” as a malcontent, and may have to obtain them surreptitiously through a third party. I have very carefully adjusted the tire pressure on each tire to get the best combination of wheel protection, ride, as well as performance, and the valve stem on one of the rear wheels sticks when ever I attempt to let a little air out, so I will definitely have to get a replacement before I mount the next set of tires.

I hope I don’t disappoint you too much, but I don’t know the offset of my wheels. When I placed the (now infamous) order, I just said I wanted to replace my stock 16 X 7.5” wheels with 18 x 8” in the front and 18 x 9” in the rear. There was never a discussion of offset, and at the time I didn’t think I needed to research that issue since the manufacturer was custom building each rim for the specific year, make and model of my car. Though I will acknowledge up-front, I know little if anything about offsets, I did notice when I was mounting the new wheels that they seemed further away (out) from the brake caliper housing, and as such, had a lot more clearance in that area than did the stock wheels. I do not have any rubbing when I turn my wheels so maybe that’s the trade-off; again, I am a complete novice in this area, so I will leave that debate to those (probably all) of you who know more about wheel fitment than me.

I’ve had a lot of people send me private emails asking this question, so I’ll answer it for those of you who wondered but didn’t ask as well.
Bottom line: I love the new wheels. They make my car look new, and I again have the same level of excitement when I walk up to my GS that I did when I purchased it almost six years ago. Was it worth the wait and shenanigans of the retailer and manufacturer? Of course not. No consumer should be subjected to that type of maltreatment. I kept the wheels because I love their looks and wanted to put an end to the ordeal as quickly as I could, but would I ever again buy wheels from the same manufacturer? Listen; there are a lot of other high-end wheel manufacturers out there (like HRE) who make excellent products and treat their customers decently, heck, even respectfully. And just because a particular wheel manufacturer now advertises in the Dupont Registry, doesn’t mean they now service their customers better. To this day, I truly believe the CL support had more to do with me getting my wheels than anything else anyone else did or promised. So next time, regardless of the price, I’ll be going with one of the other manufacturers, because when I factor in all the time I spent pushing this issue, staring at the ceiling in the middle of the night, or living with anxiety to the point of feeling sick to my stomach, it simply wasn’t worth it. . .

I don’t want to spend another word talking about the wheels’ delivery or my satisfaction (too much bad karma), but will gladly follow-up on any other aspect of the wheels you may inquire about.

I hope all is going well with you my friends. Best wishes to you and your families. I am eternally in your debt. . .

Warm regards,
John
Old 02-16-04, 08:01 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

As always a classy response from a classy guy. Don't lie you just got back from days on end of driving with people looking at your car saying DAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNNN those wheels are hot! Only if they knew what you went through to get em lol
Anyways welcome back and don't be a stranger!
Old 02-16-04, 08:51 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

As always a classy response from a classy guy. Don't lie you just got back from days on end of driving with people looking at your car saying DAAAAAAAAAAMNNNNNN those wheels are hot! Only if they knew what you went through to get em lol
Ditto
Old 02-16-04, 11:19 AM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Yup, I agree. Very classy as always!

As far as you not hearing from the manufacturer regarding the purchase of extra valve stems, you myself and everyone who has followed this thread from the beginning are not surprised. And our lack of surprise has nothing to do with you being a malcontent; but everything to do with iForged being what comes very naturally and easy to them - incompetent. (I will PM you on this.)

I'm glad to hear you will be seen here at CL more often! We missed ya!

Till next time John!
Old 02-23-04, 03:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Very nice pics with those wheels on your car. Enjoy them !!
Too bad,I could have ordered those same wheels for my car if it weren't for this thread . . . . .
Old 04-03-04, 07:19 AM
jjc01
Rookie

Hello friends. I’ve had PMs over the past couple of months from folks experiencing the same kind of difficulties that prompted the creation of this thread. Sadly, it seems like some manufacturers and distributors continue to lack honesty and integrity when it comes to providing their customers wheel statuses or delivery times. I would encourage those in similar situations to keep a ledger, document everything in writing, and consider early engagement of the Better Business Bureau.

Several months have passed since my rather unpleasant experience, and while I have not been continually engaged, my deep appreciation for everything you all did for me has not diminished one iota…
Old 04-05-04, 01:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by jjc01
Hello friends. I’ve had PMs over the past couple of months from folks experiencing the same kind of difficulties that prompted the creation of this thread. Sadly, it seems like some manufacturers and distributors continue to lack honesty and integrity when it comes to providing their customers wheel statuses or delivery times. I would encourage those in similar situations to keep a ledger, document everything in writing, and consider early engagement of the Better Business Bureau.

Several months have passed since my rather unpleasant experience, and while I have not been continually engaged, my deep appreciation for everything you all did for me has not diminished one iota…
you saying that it is STILL going on? or those are just past experience from people?

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Waiting an Eternity on an Expensive Wheel Order?(AFTER 1/2 YEAR, RESOLVED