Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Anyone Else Waiting an Eternity on an Expensive Wheel Order?(AFTER 1/2 YEAR, RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-03, 09:08 PM
jjc01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The face and lip are chrome plated and they'll be going on my 98 GS400. It was cloudy all day today, here in SD, and it looked like it was going to rain, so I did took the photos quickly. I should have taken more time to make a more contrasting background to better highlight the wheels, because I'm not exaggerating when I say the photos really don’t do them justice; they really are even more beautiful than the photos convey… I truly could not be more pleased with these iFORGED wheels...
Old 11-15-03, 10:12 PM
BayGS2200
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i can say is def. worth the wait..................very very nice
Old 11-15-03, 10:17 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Listen, let's not all jump on the bandwagon when you don't have any personal experience. I've owned BOTH brands of wheels and BOTH brands had delays and customer service problems
I cant follow the logic in this statement at all! If I am reading this correctly, only those that have owned both brands of wheels (HRE/ I Forged) have the knowledge to comment on this topic? The discussion is about how the guy had to wait way past his promised delivery date for his wheels. Im pretty sure that any of us that have spent any amount of time modding cars, has had to wait on parts that we were promised weeks(or months) before they actually arrived. Does this make it right....Nope! Should this be expected....Nope!

I personaly think it is good for other people to share their experiences with vendors...both good and bad. That helps the rest of us make educated decisions...word of mouth can make or brake a company, and its really the only true way for a consumer to measure companies up.

Once again, HRE was perfect all the way around with my order.....Im sure they are not perfect 100% of the time....but they were with me.

That being said,
jjc, that absolutely sucks that UPS F'd up your wheel..I feel your pain. If it helps you feel better at all, those are some nice looking wheels. They are going to look great on the car. Be sure to post some pics once you get everything squared away and mounted.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-03, 10:45 PM
mr who
Lead Lap

I've never seen chrome plated iForged wheels before, and they look incredible. Did Manaray convice you to go chrome?

They're gonna look great, I understand this...but I'm wondering why you went with such small and non aggressive sizing for your GS? Thats why I asked if you owned an IS..
Old 11-16-03, 06:34 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The finish on those wheels looks unreal! very nice!
Old 11-16-03, 07:09 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mr who
I've never seen chrome plated iForged wheels before, and they look incredible.

i said the thought the same , i didn't think iforged made chrome wheels, on their website they don't offer chrome as an option....oh well again they look great

Last edited by bluelex; 11-16-03 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-16-03, 09:35 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Wow that is one sick wheel. The lips are just so juicy looking. Well when you do get them on boy it is going to fun driving around. All the glares.
Old 11-16-03, 11:19 AM
jjc01
Rookie

TTurboPimp: I agree with you RE the desire for most people to be able to discuss their experiences in this type of forum, and while I appreciate hearing both sides of an issue, like you, I don’t expect someone to have to qualify himself or herself to any degree to simply post an opinion. I certainly will post photos once I receive the fourth wheel and get them bolted to my car. Just so you know in advance, even though I’ve owned the GS since 98, the wheels will be the only modification I’ve ever made. I can’t tell you how envious of you I am of your supercharger…

MrWho/BlueLex/JPA2400: I’m a tad embarrassed to admit I would have bought the same width wheels in a 17” height if I could have done so at the time, though now I would not. I’m 49, have owned a few vehicles in my day, and was very concerned about giving-up too much ride quality by changing the tire profile too much, so I played it as safe as I could with “plussing-up.” I sold my 93ZX11 and Modified Mustang GT to purchase my GS, and never really used anywhere near either vehicle’s performance potential (as was evidenced by the Ninja’s rear tire), so my rationale was, for my style of driving, the appearance and ride quality were probably the most important aspects for me. Like you, most folks on this forum have a lot more knowledge about the customizing options and potential for my car. I wasn’t a member when I placed my order, and thought I had increased the wheel height as much as I could for my comfort level. I now realize I probably could have gone bigger and be happy, but I’m going from 16” to 18” with this purchase and I’m so thrilled by the appearance of the wheels, so I don’t know if I really would have been happier going bigger. I purchased the chrome finish because I’ve always bought chrome when purchasing aftermarket wheels, wasn’t sure how long the polished look would last, and truth be known; I really enjoy polishing the chrome and seeing a maximum shine.

Lexus11: Believe me, I can barely contain my desire just to see them on the car. It will be an absolute thrill to drive them to work, and replace the “phantom-wheels” comments, I hear from my co-workers almost on a daily basis, with envy…

Thanks very much for your comments my friends.
Old 11-19-03, 03:05 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TTurboPimp - What I'm talking about are the people that jump on the bandwagon and just yell bloody murder when they, themselves, don't have any personal experience. A lot of people hear of delays and whatnot w/o knowing the whole story. For example, there were a few guys running around saying how iForged screwed up their wheels and whatnot when the REAL story is that the guys gave iForged very specific offsets and they ended up not working on their cars. So iForged had to RE-CUT new wheels. Of course, in the end, it comes out as it was all iForged's fault and how they were delayed, blah, blah, blah...

I have personally experienced BAD customer service and LONG delays with HRE and I know of others who have also....but hey, I understand this business a little better than most people and I understand the how and why of delays. Remember, you can't always predict delays...otherwise, there would be no such thing. JJC's vendor, not iForged, didn't communicate well with him. That's their bad...

The Bottom Line is that delays happen. It's unfortunate but it's a fact of life. I'm currently waiting on a set of 20's for another member which has been delayed but that is due to the fact that they have been refining their CNC programing (on that particular design). The end result will be a better wheel and that's definitely worth waiting for...

JJC01- I'm glad you wheels "sorta" made it. After reading your post, I spoke with Vince to make sure that your order was taken care of. Hopefully, you will get your fourth wheel soon.
Old 11-19-03, 01:28 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Manaray,
Having said it like that, I understand where your coming from now. Your original post was a little more direct and abrassive. I, like you, fully understand the idea of waiting on parts...as much as it sucks!

Also, big ups for making the call to follow up for JJC!
Old 11-19-03, 04:18 PM
LexFather

jjc01

Dude, that is an adventure. It looks like it will be finished soon.
Old 11-19-03, 11:05 PM
jjc01
Rookie

Manaray: Thanks very much for the back-up. Vince has been great since he took this for action, but I certainly appreciate any additional intervention on my behalf. I am absolutely thrilled with the appearance of the wheels I have received, but obviously won’t really be able to start enjoying them in the manner for which they were designed until they’re bolted on to my GS…

1SickLex/TurboPimp: I also want to thank you for your support, because until I joined this club, and started this thread, the only thing I was getting for reinforcement was the run-around. When I moved back to the west coast from the east coast for my job a few years ago the commercial moving van transporting my (and two other families’) personal belongings caught fire in Barstow, CA and I lost everything I owned, except for what I was wearing and had packed in the cars my wife and I drove cross-country. I spent the next two years replacing everything I had acquired during my earliest years, as well as what my wife and I had purchased during our 20 years of marriage. We were initially so devastated we didn’t know where to begin, and then one of my daughter’s teachers said something so simple and logical it made us laugh and gave us focus; “work from the underwear-out.” As you can well imagine, we made a lot of purchases in the next two years, and as anyone who has ordered furniture knows, it can take up to six months to acquire a single piece; but the sales folks always gave us accurate ETAs up-front. On occasion there was a delay, but never anything like what I had experienced with the wheels. More importantly, I always receive honest communication, timely follow-up, an accurate status, and a realistic new delivery date when a complication occurred. During that entire process of replacing (most of) my worldly possessions,, I never once had a retailer treat me, my purchase, or any of my concerns, with such total disregard as I had, until two weeks ago, received with the purchase of my wheels. Hell, even my insurance company treated me a lot better… I’m relating this personal piece not for sympathy, there are more than 300 families that recently lost their homes to fire in this part (Scripps Ranch) of San Diego, and they’re the ones who deserve that sentiment. I’m telling you this because I had recently become so worn down by the frustration of the waiting process and repeated erroneous ETAs, that I was really starting to feel helpless as well as hopeless. However, comments of support from folks like you (and even my tire dealer, God love him) kept me focused, gave me the tenacity to hang-tough, and just as importantly, as I have stated previously, proved that I was not the crazy one. In truth, your support has been as helpful to me as any advocacy group or therapy sessions could be for an issue, and so my wife and I thank you all from the bottom of my hearts.
Old 11-20-03, 07:12 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

good luck with the whole situation. you were almost there too!!! sucks that ups f'ed it up for you. now that you have experienced the ordering headaches with iforged, hopefully you dont experience the quality issues too (no, manaray, i dont own a set of iforged wheels, but i can read and listen to other's comments, as well as see first hand. the same way i can say a yugo was a crappy car without ever having owned one ). funny, you rarely hear horror stories from other wheel companies. once again good luck.
Old 11-20-03, 07:11 PM
jjc01
Rookie

DrDrilz: The wheels I've received are beautifully finished and appear to be very solidly constructed. Hopefully bad things won’t be “coming in threes” for me this time, and that in this instance, two (long wait & the UPS piece) tests of determination will satisfy the gods of cruelty… I’m VERY anxious to receive the last wheel so I can see them on my car and post photos... Thanks very much for your comments.
Old 11-20-03, 07:39 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DrDrilZ
(no, manaray, i dont own a set of iforged wheels, but i can read and listen to other's comments, as well as see first hand. the same way i can say a yugo was a crappy car without ever having owned one ). funny, you rarely hear horror stories from other wheel companies. once again good luck.
So you have honestly seen, first hand, a set of iForged wheels that were not good? I'd like to know, specifically, what the problems were. If it's a finish problem, yes, that was a problem but that was the finisher (the same one that HRE used to use and they also stopped using because of the problems) and both iForged and HRE have not only changed finishers, but they have both taken care of customers who have had problems.

Funny, I have heard horror stories from other brands... Fiske, they've had problems with their centers cracking (well known problem actually). HRE has also had problems with their centers cracking in the past not to mention the clearcoat peeling (oh wait, those were mine!) Imagine that....

Yugo's are not built like Toyotas now are they? They don't use the same source for many of the raw parts, they don't build the cars on the same type of machinery (did Yugo even use machinery?), and wheels are not quite as complicated to build as an entire car (less places to make mistakes). Do you even have any clue as to how wheels are built? How iForged or HRE's are built (to be more specific)? If you'd like to know, feel free to email me. GS430@mac.com

As for "other's" comments....well do you know the whole story behind any of the comments or are you just hearing their side? I've seen the complaints and I've seen why they happened. I'm not saying that all the comments/complaints were made up or BS...some were very legit...but a lot of them were very, very one sided comments. Errors that the customer made and then tried to transfer the blame onto the manufacturer to get them to correct the error that the customer made. Other customers trying to capitalize on these complaints to get their wheels for less money....ah....but you don't hear about that from the complainers, now do you?

If DELAYS are iForged's biggest problem, then I think they're doing alright...because that means that they're pumping out products to capacity. Glashuette Original watches have generally a 2-year waiting list with some models taking even longer....their products MUST suck bad!

Last edited by Manaray; 11-20-03 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Waiting an Eternity on an Expensive Wheel Order?(AFTER 1/2 YEAR, RESOLVED