Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Just because rims fit on a supra doesnt mean they fit our cars [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-03, 05:11 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woa, Jeff makes an appearance. I have two sets of supra TT wheels. Neither of wich rub with 265 or 275. It is my 18*9.5 +35 halo's with 275's that are rubbing. They are indeed a jza80 spec'd wheel. I'd have to wip up some courage to take a saw-zall or the like to my baby. Maybe a grinder would do the trick. I appreciate the input greatly. I have seen the baseball bat method too. Are you still rockin' your coupe or did it get sold?

I didn't know they had SC's 45 years ago...

Just ribbin ya ... I know what you mean.
Old 11-24-03, 05:56 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I also have an 18x9.5" rear with +35 (on 275/35/18 tire) that rubbed until I rolled.
Old 11-24-03, 06:27 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

you guys are right....it might rub a little till corrected..i wouldnt reccommend rolling...it has a bad tendency for cracking the paint...that is why toyomoto cut them..........
i had a 295 35 18 tire on my enkei wheels...never rubbed once trimmed...Jeff
Old 11-24-03, 06:30 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SC300TURBO
on the back i believe the correct offset for 18x9.5 is a 35 offset..and that should be for a supra or a lexus....any wheels designed to sit correctly on a supra TT should fit perfectly on a lexus sc300....the 20 offset is designed for cars like a mustang.....this is my experience.....not that i have much

AWJ...your supra wheels shouldnt rub unless you have a 285 or 295 tire...then if you do you just need to trim the inner fender with a nice air saw...start by masking tape of the entire lip.....draw a pencil line where you want to bring in the cut......at a nice flowing angle...then cut as much of the lip off as you can through the sides and top of the fender........bring a nice smoothe exit angle at the end of the cut.......then remove the tape and use a sealer on the cut...i had mine done by toyomoto but i watched it...not a very difficult thing for anyone half way competent.......had it done 5 yrs ago with no problems....ever......and i had stock supra tt wheels with 285s back then....Jeff
I agree with Jeff completely. I have test fit 18x11 wheels from SW's 95 Supra on my 97 and had the exact same clearance as his Supra. And on my 92, I had a set of 17x10 drag wheels with 315/35/17 BFG Drag radials that just cleared on my car, but rubbed slightly on the Walser Supra, probably because his car was just ever-so slightly lower than mine.
Old 11-24-03, 06:34 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Default Re: Just because rims fit on a supra doesnt mean they fit our cars [pics]

Originally posted by MrJohnTan
My blitz 03's will not clear the supra TT brakes. So I went ahead and borrowed a set of Work Meister S2R's. They are 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 all around with 265/35/18 tires in the rear. They are +20 offset for a mean lip. My friend had them on his supra and they fit just fine. So we figure, hey... they fit a supra, they should fit an SC right?? Im all excited and I go home and test fit the rim. Guess what, we were WRONG. The 1/4 panel is basically is sitting on the tire with about 1/4" of tire sticking out from the side of the tire. On goes my quest to find a set of rims that will clear my brakes........
Sorry bud, you may have gotten wheels with the correct centerbore and bolt pattern, but a +20 offset is way too much for those width wheels. If those are on you friends supra, I bet they look the same way.
Old 11-24-03, 06:41 PM
JMSxAP1
Driver School Candidate

Go wide body JT. :hammer:

Sucks for you bro. Oh well, stick with your rims and save some money.
Old 11-24-03, 06:57 PM
sc300power
Rookie

kinda of of the subject but how much are those work rims and where can i get some, they are sick!
Old 11-24-03, 08:47 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the confirmation clint...its getting old skool up in here......lol..
how are those sc's doing anyway...wanna sell one cheap
Jeff
Old 11-24-03, 09:04 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

315's! No rubbing at all?
Old 11-25-03, 06:04 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

You'll need an offset of +45 up to +50 or more to fit the widest wheels , Jeff +35 is way off IMO. Clint as much as you're sure that if it fits a mkiv it fits an SC, there does seem to be a difference in the inside of the wheelwells. The pkg I have on mine i've been told fits a mkiv with no rubbing, yet there's contact with the innner fender in my case when I take a turn hard. A couple more mm of positive offset would have helped, but since they don't make that fitment i'll be doing the fenders. awj, my tuner has the tirerack tool, he'll be doing mine soon and it wouldn't be a problem to do yours if you feel like driving your country butt up here.
- Jon
Old 11-25-03, 06:56 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Yee-haw....
Pack the bags honey, we's goin' to the city! Shall I bring some tobacker?
Old 11-25-03, 09:21 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
You'll need an offset of +45 up to +50 or more to fit the widest wheels , Jeff +35 is way off IMO. Clint as much as you're sure that if it fits a mkiv it fits an SC, there does seem to be a difference in the inside of the wheelwells. The pkg I have on mine i've been told fits a mkiv with no rubbing, yet there's contact with the innner fender in my case when I take a turn hard. A couple more mm of positive offset would have helped, but since they don't make that fitment i'll be doing the fenders. awj, my tuner has the tirerack tool, he'll be doing mine soon and it wouldn't be a problem to do yours if you feel like driving your country butt up here.
- Jon
I have never seen a problem with Supra fitments on an SC300, and I have experience with over 6 different wheels on both my SC, along with mulitple local SCs. Now, there may be a miniscule difference, but with every application I have used, it has never come up. The point is that the huge offset difference on MrJohnTans car is not typical for a Supra fitment put on an SC and is completely misleading as the offset on those wheels are completely wrong and NOT the correct fitment for an Supra.
Old 11-25-03, 10:30 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Off Angels Supra, I think I had 285s on these and had no rubbing problems.

Your offset is way off, I have tried many Supra wheels on my car and all fit wonderfully as long as they worked on the TT. There where a few wheels that needed to be hi-disc but that wasn't a porblem because most needed to be to fit on the Supra. Many times I could have even put bigger brakes on the front (brembos) and had clearance.

One thing you might need to have your fenders cut, but many times you need to do this on a Supra as well with 10.5-11.5 inch rims (CCW comes to mind on Neros car) so you just have to be careful.
Old 11-25-03, 12:56 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for confirming for me guys......also the only slight issue with the sc if anything is just trimming the inner fender in the rear........which is very minor and very common on any car sporting a 275-295 rear tire....
putting a 10 in rim with a 45-50 offset might run into rubbing on the strut assembly...depending on the tire size.....Jeff
Old 11-25-03, 01:26 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by sc300tt
I have never seen a problem with Supra fitments on an SC300

I have, Clint. The Volks and Yokohamas I have on my '99 are a specific Supra fitment, and they rub.

Quick Reply: Just because rims fit on a supra doesnt mean they fit our cars [pics]