Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rim Choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 04:57 PM
Davidtttt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your consideration
18” Speedline 2209
Attached Thumbnails Rim Choices-speedline-2.jpg  
Old 12-08-03, 06:12 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally posted by Doc C
Sexy SC,

You're right on the pricing for the 540Rs, however, the ones in the pics on the black SC are not full polished. They are polished rims with painted and clearcoated centers. The only reason I point this out is that that saves quite a bit of money not having the full polish. Stevelaw is right. These look good, but not TOO polished. Also, if you get a scratch in them, It can be buffed out easily. Get a scratch very deep in chrome and you'l likely have to have them stripped and dipped. Also, since it's a three piece wheel, if you bend or scratch a component of the wheel too bad, you can just replace that component. They are really expensive and Stevelaw got an AWESOME deal by the way, but they do allow for some curb rash from the girlfriend without having to buy a whole new wheel. Just my two cents.

Doc C
No, I wasn't referring to the wheels in the pic, & I understand what you're saying. I am just posting the price of what I've looked at as I've recently looked for wheels for my G35coupe & got quotes for both the HRE440R & 540R series in full polish & clearcoated, which I prefer for my white coupe. I ordered a set of 448R's as I decided pricewise, the 540R series is a bit of an overkill for a car the price of the G35, but is open to the possibility of getting one of the 540R series in future for the SC430.
Old 12-08-03, 08:11 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Sexy SC,

WOW!!!! That G35 will look awesome. You must post pics!!!! You are the MAN!!! Hey, just one tip. When I bought mine, Peter at Wheel Experts recommended not to clear coat the outer rim because rocks and such can chip it and he said it really shows when the clear coat is chipped. However, I live in Colorado, where salt and rocks and sand are all over the place and that might have been the rationale for his recommendation. You probably knew that, but I just thought I'd let you know what he had said. I love the G35. Maybe in another year or so, I too can have an SC and a G35 in my stable like you. Take care.

Doc C
Old 12-08-03, 08:14 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

davidttt,

Love the wheels. I just love the indigo SC period. You have it looking good!! Nice job.

Doc C
Old 12-08-03, 09:59 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

some like it some don't but here are chrome 20" Brabus Monoblock IIIs

or I was thinking of mixing things up a little and swapping my 19" Chorme AVS Model 5's onto the SC

or if I felt really crazy slap on the 18" old school DP Wheels from my Supra
Old 12-09-03, 05:06 AM
1ton
Driver

Stevelaw,

That's an awesome deal you got on those wheels/tires. I am getting new tires this weekend. I think I may hold off getting new wheels for now.

I'll let you know if I am coming that way. I don't see that I will in the near future but you never know.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 12-09-03, 08:47 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 1ton
Thanks for everyone's input. Would putting 19" rims do anyrhing to the odometer?
The speedometer should not be too far off at all.. (possibly .005% or so) as long as you try to keep the dimensions of the stock setup.. and for the sizes listed below it is as follows...

19" rims, I believe it is 245/35/19 all around or 245/35/19 F and 275/30/19 R
18" rims, I believe it is 245/40/18 all around or 245/45/18 F and 275/40/18 R

These are just the most common.. Hope I helped.

-Anthony

Last edited by Captain Bone; 12-09-03 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-18-03, 11:07 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DPRSupra
some like it some don't but here are chrome 20" Brabus Monoblock IIIs

or I was thinking of mixing things up a little and swapping my 19" Chorme AVS Model 5's onto the SC

or if I felt really crazy slap on the 18" old school DP Wheels from my Supra

Swap the monoblocks onto the GS and the Advan's on thr SC...
Old 12-18-03, 11:16 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Rim Choices

Can anyone give me any recommendations on nice rims for a black SC400? I am in the market and have looked at some on the gallery. Any suggestions with links or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what makes a rim better than another?

L sportline 20X8.5 (F) 20X10 (R)

Sexy....
Old 12-19-03, 04:39 AM
1ton
Driver

Those look sweet...do they come in 18"?
Old 12-19-03, 07:51 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Those look sweet...do they come in 18"?
Yup.. but 18's looks too small...
Old 12-19-03, 08:32 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by TI II
Yup.. but 18's looks too small...
I swapped my OEM rims out for 18" OZ Opera II's. It definitely upgraded the look and improved the handling, but if I had had it do over I would have gone with 19" rims just to fill out the wheel wells a little more. If you upgrade to 20" rims, generally the ride becomes harsher, the wheels/tires escalate in price and road imperfections become a problem. Also, some of the 20" wheels I've seen on some SC430's make them look like "toy cars". I'm not part of the "bigger is better" school of thought when it comes to wheels, but a 1" upgrade on the SC430 is a pretty good compromise.
Old 12-19-03, 09:25 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Just FYI,

I had L-Sporltine model IVs which are not the ones pictured. I had 18 inchers with RF tires. When my car hit a 2.5-3 inch bump going 45 mph ALL FOUR WHEELS bent and were unrepairable. 7 tire and wheel shops had NEVER seen ALL FOUR wheels be bent at once except for a guy that hit a curb at 70, and needless to say the entire front suspension was ruined as well. I called L-Sportline and they were rude, and horrible to deal with. I was only informing them of what happened. My insurance covered the damage, and I could have (and was going to) buy some more of their wheels until the guy I talked to was an absolute a--hole. He said that that didn't seem unusual to him and that he shouldn't have to be responsible for my carelessness. I told him I wasn't expecting him to be responsible, I wanted him to know that everyone I talked to (wheel-wise) thought this was extremely rare and wondered if they had experienced any problems with the wheel's design. I wanted to know before having to do this all over again. He said that it wasn't his problem and asked if I wanted new wheels or not. No was my answer. I just want you to know the company you would be dealing with. Peter @ wheel experts (where I bought the L-Cheaplines) was excellent and made me a good deal on some HREs. The forged wheels are WAY stronger than the the L-Craplines, and they weigh about 13 pounds/wheel less even though they are wider and 1 inch greater in diameter.

Doc C
Old 12-19-03, 10:03 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like those Brabus Monobloc IIIs. They remind me of the Auto Couture Magnifique, another wheel that looks great on the SC (although I prefer the brushed/machined aluminum finish to the chrome, personally). OZ Operas are also a great choice. I think a clean dish wheel is what the compliments the SC the best.
Old 12-19-03, 11:07 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Doc C
Just FYI,

I had L-Sporltine model IVs which are not the ones pictured. I had 18 inchers with RF tires. When my car hit a 2.5-3 inch bump going 45 mph ALL FOUR WHEELS bent and were unrepairable. 7 tire and wheel shops had NEVER seen ALL FOUR wheels be bent at once except for a guy that hit a curb at 70, and needless to say the entire front suspension was ruined as well. I called L-Sportline and they were rude, and horrible to deal with. I was only informing them of what happened. My insurance covered the damage, and I could have (and was going to) buy some more of their wheels until the guy I talked to was an absolute a--hole. He said that that didn't seem unusual to him and that he shouldn't have to be responsible for my carelessness. I told him I wasn't expecting him to be responsible, I wanted him to know that everyone I talked to (wheel-wise) thought this was extremely rare and wondered if they had experienced any problems with the wheel's design. I wanted to know before having to do this all over again. He said that it wasn't his problem and asked if I wanted new wheels or not. No was my answer. I just want you to know the company you would be dealing with. Peter @ wheel experts (where I bought the L-Cheaplines) was excellent and made me a good deal on some HREs. The forged wheels are WAY stronger than the the L-Craplines, and they weigh about 13 pounds/wheel less even though they are wider and 1 inch greater in diameter.

Doc C
Bet the guy at L-Sportline had no idea you'd be chatting in a forum where there were hundreds (if not thousands) of Lexus owners who are constantly looking to upgrade their wheels. Companies have no idea how negatively they impact their business with bad customer service. Thanks for the heads up. I'm in the market for 18's for my GS but will stay away from L-Sportline.

Quick Reply: Rim Choices