Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bridgestone Potenza S-03

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 07:17 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SoCalSC4 - i was just wondering what ever happened in your situation with bridgestone
Old 04-15-04, 08:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

even worse, we have YET another case today by one of the member on this board. more info to come!
Old 04-15-04, 08:31 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
even worse, we have YET another case today by one of the member on this board. more info to come!
Just what I need to hear.

The GSD-3 are on major backorder so I settled with the SO-3's because I never had any trouble with them.

I hope I don't regret it.

-Anthony
Old 04-15-04, 09:50 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Angry AW HELL NAW....

I just ordered the same tire and hopefully they won't follow suit? Maybe Brandon can chime in and tell us what's the deal with these SO3's.....and to think I was the only one with those cracks.....to clear things up though, I bought the package from someone else and one of the tires came like that! Brandon where are you?

-R-
Old 04-15-04, 10:28 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Yep - Rominl is correct....I too have inside wall separation cracks on two of my S03s with only 6K miles! I spoke to a local tire shop tech today and he told me that he has seen five sets of the Potenza S03s in the last six months with this EXACT issue. He also mentioned that the cars that had the problem were all Lexus and Mercedes. Now that is scarry!!

I have been in touch with TIreRack and they are reviewing my digital images of the cracks now. I am hoping they will help me out and I can then pick up some new tires quickly. The cracks are similar to others that are posted on this thread. I run at 40PSI and they are 245 / 35 / 20s with minimal wear.

I will let you know what I hear from TireRack. My local Firestone store manager told me that they were surley defective and that he could send them back to Bridgestone for a credit. The problem is that it could take up to 30 days to get the credit and I have a car show in a week!!!

I am hoping others who have this issue will chime in so we can see how wide spread this S03 issue is.

Last edited by Synergy; 04-15-04 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-15-04, 10:50 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap... I was just going to order those tires for my new set of wheels coming soon. Someone needs to get in touch with Bridgestone and show them this thread. This is too scary man...
Old 04-15-04, 11:08 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Holy crap... I was just going to order those tires for my new set of wheels coming soon. Someone needs to get in touch with Bridgestone and show them this thread. This is too scary man...
Yep - very scary and very dangerous. IMO I would stay clear of these tires!
Old 04-16-04, 02:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

just off the top of my head, i already know about 4 guys with this problem. say all you want, but i really don't think this is "a few percentage" or occasioanl cases
Old 04-16-04, 05:13 AM
sirsomo
Pole Position

FWIW I am on my 3rd set of S-03 and have never had the cracks. Ive never heard of this happening either. Maybe you guys got tires from a bad batch or something? Whats scary though is that the tires picutred have minimal wear. It would be hard to argue that it wasnt a defect. I just ordered a pair for my car, I will keep everyone updated.
Old 04-16-04, 06:30 AM
altaf
Pole Position

I just scratched this tire off my wish list... keep us posted guys!
Old 04-16-04, 06:34 AM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

ive talked to them on the phone and the problem for me is that all they would offer is a partial credit... not even a new set of tires but an offer for a replacement at a "prorated" rate...
Old 04-16-04, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by CarlssonLS400
ive talked to them on the phone and the problem for me is that all they would offer is a partial credit... not even a new set of tires but an offer for a replacement at a "prorated" rate...
do you still have the tires with you? if so, hold on to them. if they keep on saying the "prorated" bs, you have a case!
Old 04-16-04, 01:26 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hmm.

I have these tires on my IS. Around here we take them off for the winter and on so we see the inside of the tires all the time. Many of our sales staff uses these tires and we have tested them extensively ourselves and this issue has never come up befor. I will forward this thread though and maybe we will get a response...
Old 04-16-04, 03:47 PM
GGP4me
Driver

Default Glad I looked in tis thread TODAY

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
YIKES! Glad I looked in this thread today...

I too was to order some SO-3s TODAY since my first choice: Goodyear F1 are on national back order.

Now what am I to do?
Old 04-16-04, 06:03 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

i still have my tires mounted on the rims, sitting in the garage... have been running on stocks ever since the incident... hopefully something will come of this

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza S-03