Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bridgestone Potenza S-03

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-04, 07:54 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with Brandon at TireRack as well as a very helpful customer service rep today. TireRack engineers reviewed my photos today and have forwarded them to Bridgestone in request for a, "Platinum Warranty" replacement. I am very hopeful that TireRack will help me with this issue and that Bridgestone will be considerate to our request. From my discussion with TireRack today, their engineers blessed the situation and authorized the next step....Bridgestone.

Here is what concerns me with this process....Bridgestone will most-likely only offer a credit towards my new TireRack purchase after physically inspecting the tires. My fear is that they still have an opportunity to take my tires and deny me a credit. How messed up would that be?

Like I said, so far everyone has been very receptive to this issue. I have no doubt that my situation will be resolved shorlty and I can move onto a new brand of tire. What I requested from TireRack was a statement that expresses the credit will be issued immediatley upon RECEIPT of the tires NOT based on further inspection. Clearly there are separation cracks on the inner side wall on both tires and they are both in excellent condition on a car that I baby more than my own son. My time alone that has been invested in this issue more than offsets the cost of replacement. This should be a red flag to anyone who has a "larger size" Lexus and plans to run on S03s.

I will keep you all posted...
Old 04-16-04, 08:05 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the updates synergy...

i didn't buy my tires from tire rack... hope that does't have any effect my replacement outcome... n e ways it sucks that we are all even in this situation and having to waste time dealing with it... but its good to know im not alone in this and at least none of us crashed because of these tires
Old 04-17-04, 09:37 AM
Synergy

Originally posted by CarlssonLS400
but its good to know im not alone in this and at least none of us crashed because of these tires
Agreed - we could have been in real bad shape if one of the tires split further on the freeway!
Old 04-17-04, 02:05 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the updates synergy...

i didn't buy my tires from tire rack... hope that does't have any effect my replacement outcome... n e ways it sucks that we are all even in this situation and having to waste time dealing with it... but its good to know im not alone in this and at least none of us crashed because of these tires
It shouldn't matter where you buy the tires. If Bridgestone starts to hear more of these stories, they need to have an investigation and replace the tires. I don't think any tire company wants to go through what Firestone went through. I think all you of SO3 owners need to hit up other car forums and direct them to this thread. There could be other BMW's and MB's out there with the same SO3 tire problems. If there are more owners having the same problems, then Bridgestone will have to remedy this situation quickly before someone gets hurt...
Old 04-17-04, 05:03 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Well I just had my HRE's put back on today with S03's, I'll definitely check my tires after this summer to see if I have any cracks going on. I only have 1K miles at most on my S03's so far. Keep us updated guys, I am happy I checked up on this thread. FYI, what size rims were these defective tires on? I have 18" rims for what it's worth. Wondering if wheel size is an issue at all, as I see in one pic 20" and the other 19". Thanks

Last edited by GS430 GUY; 04-17-04 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-17-04, 06:10 PM
Synergy

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
FYI, what size rims were these defective tires on? I have 18" rims for what it's worth. Wondering if wheel size is an issue at all, as I see in one pic 20" and the other 19". Thanks
My wheels are 20 X 8.5, tires are 245 / 35 / 20...
Old 04-17-04, 09:54 PM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Post Asked my wheel guy...

I got my other SO3 put on today and while I was there I asked my wheel guy what would cause this problem? His reply was " Bad Alignment", now I don't believe that may be the cause but looking at the tire wear he could be telling the truth. I don't know, just throwing that out there! By the way, I had already purchased the tires before this thread opened, so we'll see what happens....

-R-

Last edited by R.U. IN AW?; 04-17-04 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-17-04, 10:20 PM
Synergy

Default Re: Asked my wheel guy...

Originally posted by RU-INAW
I got my other SO3 put on today and while I was there I asked my wheel guy what would cause this problem? His reply was " Bad Alignment", now I don't believe that may be the cause but looking at the tire wear he could be telling the truth. I don't know, just throwing that out there! By the way, I had already purchased the tires before this thread opened, so we'll see what happens....
I had my car aligned multiple times while these tires were mounted on my car. My tire wear also does not indicate an alignment or wear issue. These are performance tires and this situation is unacceptable.
Old 04-18-04, 01:01 AM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Asked my wheel guy...

Originally posted by Synergy
I had my car aligned multiple times while these tires were mounted on my car. My tire wear also does not indicate an alignment or wear issue. These are performance tires and this situation is unacceptable.
Synergy,

I totally agree with you that this situation is unacceptable, that's why I said that I didn't think that bad alignment would be the root of the problem....I just hope that these don't act up like the others!

-R-
Old 04-18-04, 09:55 AM
Synergy

Default Re: Re: Re: Asked my wheel guy...

Originally posted by RU-INAW
Synergy,

I totally agree with you that this situation is unacceptable, that's why I said that I didn't think that bad alignment would be the root of the problem....I just hope that these don't act up like the others!
I would just make sure to carefully inspect your inner tire wall during each rotation. The scary thing is that you can't really see the cracks when they are mounted on the wheel because they are streteched and full of air.
Old 04-18-04, 11:57 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Asked my wheel guy...

Originally posted by Synergy

I totally agree... i had my car aligned when i just got these tires. so this can't be the problem. totally unacceptable
Old 04-21-04, 07:23 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Any updates?

I think I'll stick with my Michelin Pilots
Old 04-22-04, 11:34 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Last edited by CarlssonLS400; 04-22-04 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-23-04, 06:20 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Old 04-23-04, 11:55 PM
Synergy

The nice people at Tire Rack sent the pics to Bridgestone and they will issue me credit once they have the tires. I made it clear that I wanted somehting in writing that it was based on receipt of the tires, not further inspection. They understood and came through. I am unclear on the credit amount - I will let you all know the end result when I get the credit.

Let's just put it this way - the two new replacement tires that I purchased are NOT S03s

Buyer beware!

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza S-03