Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

lots of road noise, tires? what gives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 04:50 PM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mentioned that sometimes it sounds like a helicoptor. If the noise occurs in a repetitive cycle (like a helicoptor sound) it could be 1 of 3 things:

1. Worn or wearing tires (uneven tread, etc..)
2. Warped rotors
3. Slightly to severely bent rim(s)

Some things to consider to help you narrow down the problem:

a. Does the whole car vibrate when you hear the noise?
b. Does the steering wheel alone vibrate when you hear the noise?
c. Do you only hear the noise when you're breaking?

You said that you just put those tires on 2 months ago. I am assuming they are new tires. If that is true then, it is likely warped rear rotors. The reason I narrow it down to rear rotors is because you didn't mention anything about vibrating or shaking steering wheel (which if you did, we could narrow it down to a front-end problem - possibly front rotors). If the rotors are not badly warped, you may not get any vibration or shaking at all, but you will occassionally hear a slight "thud-thud-thud-thud" sound especially when you're applying the break. The more warped the rotor the greater the possibility that you will hear that "thud-thud-thud-thud" sound even when you don't apply the break (as the warped rotor will tap the caliper as it cycles).

Another likely possibility is the worn tire scenerio. I know this because I have 2 worn tires on my car (due to need for an alignment) and the "thud" noise is daunting at times! This scenerio is all contingent on the consistency of your tires. You said you put them on 2 months ago, so they are fairly new (unless you put on used tires). Though some tires wear faster than others, unless you are VERY, VERY aggressive ALL THE TIME, and possibly track your car, it is not likely that after 2 months your tread is worn down so bad that you will hear "thudding". That being said, take into considerartion that P7000s are known to wear quicky, so if those are used tires, that could be the problem. I am going to provide a direct quote from the Trie Rack site of a customer's experience with his new P7000s. I will also give you a link to all the customer reviews of the P7000s.

Obviously, the two scenerios I cited above could be wrong completely (but not likely). I actually have a bunch of other possible scenerios in my head, but to state them all would not help you as much as my next suggestion will. Take your car to a tire shop and have them look at and test all your tires! I don't know if you're in the New York area, but the reason I was able to tell you that I have 2 worn tires is bacuse I took my car to Cross Island Tire, in Queens Village, NY and for FREE, they examined my tires AND tested each of my rims for dents and bends. They actually put them on some electronic machine, which rotates the tire and checks for symmetry. If you are in the NY area, I would take it to them and have that done so as to narrow down the problem. By doing so, you will kill 2 of 3 birds (integrity of tires and rims) with one stone for FREE! If both check out fine then you can begin thinking on the rotor possibility.

Here is the review I said I would post about P7000 tires (which is just one persons experience). Right after the review, you will find the link to 352 other testimonials from actual customers who bought Pirelli P700s. Hope this helped. Wish you the best! - Cheers!

Vehicle: 2000 Audi A6 2.7T
Driving Style: Spirited
Miles driven on tires: 11,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 6.75 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-11-25
The Pirrelli P7000 Supersport are a good tire when they are new but they fall apart. The tread on all four tires is falling off. I have taken pictures and submitted them to the manufacturer but they have been very unhelpful to my warranty claim. In checking through the reveiw pages I noticed another customer with the same issues, which means there may be others out there. I cannot recommend this tire to anyone. I am now going to purchase Continental tires.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE OTHER REVIEWS:

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P
Old 01-26-04, 05:26 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks alot everyone. You all have been very helpful, it turned out it was the rear rotors, they are warped I'm currently in the process of finding new ones as I have not been driving my SC lately. Does anybody have any recommendations?
Old 01-27-04, 09:47 AM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by soarer213
Thanks alot everyone. You all have been very helpful, it turned out it was the rear rotors, they are warped I'm currently in the process of finding new ones as I have not been driving my SC lately. Does anybody have any recommendations?
Do you have the OEM brakes on there or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what size?
Old 01-27-04, 08:41 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

just have oem for now, looking to upgrade one day to TT brakes, but I just need replacements for now.
Old 01-27-04, 10:37 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Rotors

Steve Gantz has an excellent deal on Rotora Slotted Rotors.
Get in touch with him at Carson Toyota.
Or here on the forum.
Rob

Last edited by setwire; 01-27-04 at 10:38 PM.