Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

19" or 18"

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04 | 07:56 PM
kutscher
Lead Lap

Funny...

no not even close to whipped. She just mentions the fact that all the mods do not help resale and if anything cause it to be worth less. This happined with my maxima. Plus she coorelates things to this or a nice hawaiian vacation.. which makes things hard..
Old 01-16-04 | 08:00 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by kutscher
Funny...

no not even close to whipped. She just mentions the fact that all the mods do not help resale and if anything cause it to be worth less. This happined with my maxima. Plus she coorelates things to this or a nice hawaiian vacation.. which makes things hard..
Thank goodness mine doesnt do that! The good thing is if you keep the factory parts, you can get about 1/2 of that money back when you sell the car (hopefully )
Old 01-17-04 | 02:03 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Default Best of both worlds

If you go 19 with a higher profile than the standard set up, you will get just about the same ride / noise as an 18" set up. You will also fill the wheel well even more, while raising the overall ground clearance of the car, but with the illusion will be that the car is more slammed. Almost like having 20's as far as filling the wheel wells.

Exampe instead of going for the standard 245/35-19, 275/30-19 combo, go for 245/40-19, 275/35-19. This is a "best of both worlds" set up to me.

Gotta say I'm lucky. My wife thinks 18's are too small for her IS. She even pays for her mods herself, I just provide the free labor.

BTW, I do snuggle up at night with a CL member .

Wife's IS ride:
Attached Thumbnails 19" or 18"-rear-tire-view.jpg  

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-17-04 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-17-04 | 06:59 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

RMMGS4,

That setup never crossed my mind. How much of a change in the speedo will I see if I do this?
THANKS!!
Old 01-17-04 | 08:23 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: Best of both worlds

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Gotta say I'm lucky. My wife thinks 18's are too small for her IS. She even pays for her mods herself, I just provide the free labor.

BTW, I do snuggle up at night with a CL member .
You're so lucky man, my g/f is patient with me when it comes to the mod-disease, but she is not IN to it deep like Indogrl! Like she knows 20", and chrome vs silver finish, and lowered or not, kitted or not, but I cant call her and say "so and so got some 20x13" HREs on his car now" and have her say WOW

You have the Best of Both Worlds! LOL

btw- your comments about wheel sizing were dead on too!
Old 01-17-04 | 10:12 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Re: Best of both worlds

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RMMGS4 If you go 19 with a higher profile than the standard set up, you will get just about the same ride / noise as an 18" set up. You will also fill the wheel well even more, while raising the overall ground clearance of the car, but with the illusion will be that the car is more slammed. Almost like having 20's as far as filling the wheel wells.

Exampe instead of going for the standard 245/35-19, 275/30-19 combo, go for 245/40-19, 275/35-19. This is a "best of both worlds" set up to me.

that sounds like a great set-up. i like being able to clear all the crap like curbs and concrete stops in parking spots that i was hitting when my car was a 1/2 inch lower while at the same time filling up that wheel well. are there any rubbing issues with that size setup? i know with 20" you have to really watch it.

thanks now i want bigger wheels again. i talked to her again about that and untill i can pay cash i can forget that.

i had no clue how bad those wheel wells looked until i joined club lexus. now i'm noticing how stupid it looks on every other car i see.

my wife had to have V8 power, so she ended up with a 99gs400. and of course she got all the toms braces, because she liked how they made my car handle so much better. i haven't been able to talk her into coilovers, she likes that cushy ride. i think at some point she might go for the tein cs. not nearly as stiff as my jic's and actually not very stiff at all but would give her much better handling than the stock springs & shocks which bounce to much for my taste, and that would also give her the ability to lower it a little bit. i'm in no big hurry to spend money on that untill after i get a torque-converter, yeah i do kinda think about my needs first, and she is not as obsessed about performance as i am.

sorry i got off a little off topic there. ivan
Old 01-17-04 | 03:33 PM
RMMGS4

Default Re: Re: Best of both worlds

Originally posted by 3dog

are there any rubbing issues with that size setup? i know with 20" you have to really watch it.

Rubbing will depend if you are using the correct offset. Usually the rear is never a problem.

The diameter of a 245/40-19 happens to be almost the exact same diameter as a 245/35-20, so technically your clearances will be the same as if you had 20's.

You can rub the fender lip slightly if you turn fully locked and go up driveways quickly. Also if you lower the car to almost zero gap, you will rub the top of the fender well over hard bumps. You either need to mod the fender or get a stiffer suspension to keep from bottoming.

I have modded Synergy's car to clear with 20's. He has about the lowest GS I know that has 20's and does not rub. Look for several threads posted by him.

I will also be posting a DIY on his fender mod in a month or so.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-17-04 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-17-04 | 03:46 PM
Neo
The One

Default Re: Re: Best of both worlds

Originally posted by 3dog
that sounds like a great set-up. i like being able to clear all the crap like curbs and concrete stops in parking spots that i was hitting when my car was a 1/2 inch lower while at the same time filling up that wheel well. are there any rubbing issues with that size setup? i know with 20" you have to really watch it.
Wow. I just noticed RMMGS4 beat me to the response but he is dead on about the wheel OD. Doing the fat setup with 19s will give you the same problems as running 20s with the normal setup. The plus about running the 19s fat setup is ride quality. It is not a lot but a little more rubber does help cushion the ride more.
Old 01-17-04 | 07:12 PM
RMMGS4

RMMGS4,

That setup never crossed my mind. How much of a change in the speedo will I see if I do this?
THANKS!!
I couldn't reach my dub counterparts to verify how much the speedo was off. I think it was off by 5 mph. At 80mph, actual speed was 85mph.

I'll update my answer when I hear back from one of my buds.
Old 01-18-04 | 07:32 AM
SCHEME
Pole Position

You gotta go with the 19's at least. I'm in the same predicament, I'm trying to decide betweeen 19" fat setup and 20" setup. I'm thinking of using the Tanabe DF210 instead of the L-sportline though.
Old 01-18-04 | 09:55 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

I will need help.

If I go with 19'' and th Fat Setup. I wil need help with offsets and where to purchase these and how to instruct the installer how to install these.
I am thinking the following:
Speedline 2210 19x8.5 and 19x9.5
with the fat setup: 245/40-19, 275/35-19 Micheline Pilot Sport a/s (expensive ones)
$2700 shipped from tirerack. Is this a good deal??

What concerns do I need to worry about with rubing etc.. if I use the L-tuned suspension.

Are there any fat 18" setups??
Thanks

Last edited by kutscher; 01-18-04 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-18-04 | 11:36 AM
kutscher
Lead Lap

I just told the wife that ordering L-tuned springs, struts and sways plus the rims/tires mentioned would be slightly over $4k installed. She had a cow, well a little one.

She would like me to stay around $3k for all of this. Any suggestions.

E
Old 01-18-04 | 11:54 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I just told the wife that ordering L-tuned springs, struts and sways plus the rims/tires mentioned would be slightly over $4k installed. She had a cow, well a little one.

E
CL Classifieds my friend!! The Ltuned suspension goes for about 300 used, and wheels go for different prices!
Old 01-18-04 | 12:15 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default make wife happy

E
my advice is get the suspension all set up first

SWAYS $500

TOMS BRACES Approx $1300

COILOVERS approx $1000-$1500

that keeps you around $3000 but you still need to get it all installed.

you can always do one mod at a time and then you can really feel what effect each one has on the handling and then you can post a review of what you think of that particular mod and that is very helpful to everyone else.

no sense putting on nice wheels first unless its all about the show.

for me its all about handling. and i would skip the springs and shocks just go with coilovers. i went with springs and shocks and when i switched to coilovers i ate it on the cost of installing springs and shocks and really ate it when i sold them for less than 1/2 of what i paid. get coilovers right off the bat because they are in every way superior to those obsolete springs and shocks and eventually coilovers are what you'll end up with. do it right the first time and save yourself time and money. plus when you take the springs and shocks off your wife will think you're an idiot for wasting money. which you will have less of to do more mods.

most important thing is keep wife happy with your car. you will regret it if you don't

once you get all this stuff and only then should you get bigger wheels

all opinions expressed above are my wifes; opps i mean mine! sorry dear,whats that, did you yell , yes dear i'll get off the forum now.

just kidding its not like that here but if you spend $4000 and don't have your wifes blessing you could end up living in he!!!!

good luck ivan
Old 01-18-04 | 12:36 PM
Neo
The One

Are there any fat 18" setups??
The normal setup for 18s is already the "fat" size with (aspect ratios) 40s in front and 35s in the rear. I have been contemplating what I've been calling the "super fat" setup which is 45s in front and 40s in the rear. I think the ride would be softer but I cannot get past the amount of rubber sidewall. I am leaning towards staying with the normal setup. If you want to see what the so-called "super fat" setup would look like, find the FS thread from Captain Bone. He had this setup and had some good pics of his car with the wheels in this 45/40 setup.

Quick Reply: 19" or 18"