Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel specs on vertex soarer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 01:36 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel specs on vertex soarer?

Anyone know'em? and does any know if they rolled or modified the fenders to fit those bad boys on there?

I'm tryin to find out the sizes, offsets, and tire sizes.
Old 01-20-04, 04:27 AM
JDMJim
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Volk Racing GT-C

FRONT: Face 1
18X10
offset : +24
tire: 255/35/18

REAR: Face 2
18X11
offset : +18
tire: 265/35/18

The fenders have to be rolled to get these under the car!

Jimmy
Old 01-20-04, 11:31 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

great jeebus!?!?!

no wonder why they look sick

ya think i can make it work going an inch thinner on each wheel with the same offsets?

so front 18x9 and rear 18x10 all with the same offsets? I mean theoretically it shouldn't come out as far thereby minimizing the fender modification right?
Old 01-20-04, 01:59 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually you can go those wheels in the 18x9 f and 18x10 r in a much more friendly offset.
With the 18x9 face1 up front you could still fit the 255 35 on there with no fender mods on the 42mm offset hi pad wheel. You could push the limits and use the 36 mm offset with a lot of fender mods.
On the rear you could use the 18x10 face2 with the mid pad wheel and a 37mm offset, or if you want even slightly more lip action you could probably get away with the low pad wheel and the 38mm offset. With the slanted spokes of the face2 they should even clear the larger supra rear caliper conversions. And with either of these offsets on the rear you shouldn't have any problems fitting 265 35 back there with barely any fender mods...
Old 01-20-04, 02:41 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

you "the man" !! haha

thanks man... yea i don't care too too much about the width... i just want as fat lip as possible with as much slant/curvature of the spokes as possible. Would the suggestions you gave me satisfy my needs?
Old 01-20-04, 04:30 PM
theman
Pole Position

I do what I can to help...

The setup options I stated would give you pretty much what you want.
Personally I'd go with the 18x9 face1 42mm offset Hi pad up front with 255 35, and the 18x10 face2 38mm low pad w/ 265 35 out back. The rear w/ the face 2 will give you that slant spoke look with a nice big lip.

If you want to push the limits up front you could go with the 18x9 face1 36mm offset hi pad w/ 235 40 and that would give you a pretty big lip up front as well while still keeping fender mods to a minimum. Or if you want to stick w/ 255 35 up front just be prepaired for some slight mods, depending on your suspension adjustments.
Old 01-20-04, 05:10 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

the difference between face 1 and 2 is that face 2 has more of that slant correct?

Would i be able to run a face 2 up front with 18x 9 36mm offset hi pad w/ 235 40 tires? All while keeping fender mods to a minimum?
Old 01-21-04, 01:37 PM
theman
Pole Position

Yes the face2 is the style with the slanted spokes.

In the face2 for the front you could get an 18x9 36mm or 42mm offset in the hi pad. The 42 will let you fit the 255 35 with no fender mods, and the 36 will give you a little bigger lip and you could run the 235 40 with out much fender modding.
They also have a 43mm and a 37mm offset in the mid pad that should work in the face2 style, since the spokes slant outward away from the calipers, but I'd have to double check the clearances. The mid pad type would give you a few more mm of lip action.
Old 01-21-04, 01:47 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

damn.. do you work for Ray's or something? haha jk

I've never heard of mid/low/high pad.... could you please explain how that works?

I'm guessing it has to do with brake clearance... if that's the case... I'd like to make sure that i can do Supra TT brake upgrades soon.

thanks very much for the schooling... "Volk GT-C's 101"
Old 01-22-04, 02:26 PM
theman
Pole Position

Nah, just needed to learn the wheel stuff for my cars and my shop. So I know what volks fit on what cars, and I've been primarily focused on the Supras, Rx7s, and SCs for a while. You put enough of them in different sizes on cars and you find out what will work where...

If you go to http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/emenu/wheel.html and select the GT-Cs you'll be able to get the run down of what fitments are available. This gives you an idea and then if you want to get a little more aggressive here or there it needs to be taken from experience...
To know what ranges in sizes fit your car you need to go check out sights that have a good deal of volks for sale for your type of vehicle or something very close like a Supra.
You can try www.MVPmotorports.com wich I have an account with, that's why I go through them for Volks a lot since they keep many in stock. But check out what size ranges they have for Supras in the various wheels and you'll have a good idea of what will fit SCs.

Once you get to the GT-C face2 or whatever you prefer select the size table.
You'll see three columns for the offsets; A B C.
These used to be denoted as Hi, Mid, Lo for the wheel pad.
The pad area of the wheel is where the wheel bolts up against the rotor/hub.
You'll notice if you check out the depth of the lug holes that they typically differ from front to rear on staggered fitment cars like Supras when it comes to Volks and many other quality wheels. And you can even see this difference in pad height on the stock Supra wheels as well.
The hi-pad wheels have deep lug holes because the pad is thick to push the backside of the wheel face out away from the rotor/hub, to clear large calipers.
Typically on the rears calipers aren't as large so a slimmer pad may be used. This thinner pad also places the wheel face farther inward on the wheel giving a little more width to the "lip". And on the rear brake setups of Supra and SC since there is an internal drum e-brake that means the caliper comes out about as far as the mounting surface of the wheel, meaning the lowest pad can typically be used there.

Last edited by theman; 01-22-04 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 11:46 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

very good info..

I'm really really contemplating the GT-C's over the SSR professors now...

what would you choose if you had a pearl white SC?

GT-C's in gold... or SSR professor SP1 in gold/polish?

also what size?

thanks so much man
Old 01-23-04, 11:46 AM
theman
Pole Position

Actually I do have a pearl white SC...

Right now I have GT-Us in gunmetal on it. I would prefer to have some Gram lights 57pro in gold on there, mainly because of the direction I'm taking the car. I have 18x9 front and 18x10 rear, and would probably just stick with those sizes due to the look, price and availability of the tires. Plenty of meat on the road and gives good front to rear balance in handling.
Personnally if you want a little more $$ look I'd go w/ your choice of gold GT-Cs face2 or maybe the gold/bronzish Gram Lights 57F-pro, both of which have a similar 5 spoke design with the double bolts surrounding each spoke. A little more classy than just the plain looking 57pro.

SSR professors are sweeeeet, but I still prefer the Volk flat fat lip over the SSR stepped lip.
Old 01-23-04, 12:37 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

nice!! have any pics?!? i wanna see

i guess i'd need to see pics of a white SC with the gtc's and the SSRs on to make my decision...

but you definately suggest sticking with 18's and not 19's? Is there that big of a difference in cost for 18's and 19's?

thanks
Old 01-27-04, 01:23 PM
theman
Pole Position

Actually took two yesterday but the camera batt. died, so I'm taking more tonight, finally. hopefully I can post them tomorrow... I was supposed to get pics out here a while ago and just haven't had the chance to clean up the car and take them.

Well it's all your preference and funds really.
19s look sweet on that car too. I'm sure some bronze 19" TE37s would be badass on there. If your looking to just cruise around and look nice then I'm sure 19s would be fine, if you're driving your car harder and wearing out tires you might want 18s just to be cost effective... There are a lot of variables and opinions, so why I buy 18s may be different from why you buy them
Old 01-27-04, 04:04 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

oh yea.... i don't plan to go all crazy with my car... i'm gonna get some supra TT rims for the road racing purposes (later down the line of course)

but yea... i'm having such a hard time between the GTC's and the SSR's... i'm thinking the GTC's would give me more lip though... i'm leaning towards it.

Quick Reply: Wheel specs on vertex soarer?