Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

S03's driving me INSANE!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 11:26 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a set of s03's before, i didn't like em too much cause of the ride and noise. Now i have the toyo proxies t1-s. Love them... The only thing is that they cost an arm and a leg and they wear out quick. Bad combo i guess. These tires are AWESOME in the rain. Don't even think about moving it in the snow .
Old 01-29-04, 12:44 AM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GStrance
definately check your tire pressures, i have 19s and i am running fairly high PSI on front and rear
Winter
front: 42 PSI
rear: 45PSI

summer
front : 40 PSI
rear : 42 PSI

just the way i have been doing...
Old 01-29-04, 01:41 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Tranman
Hmmmm, looks like I'm gonna probably be getting ST115's for my rims then...even though I can get the SO3's pretty cheap.
My Falken ST115s' are soooooo quite
Old 01-30-04, 10:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally posted by kyle3481
GStrance
definately check your tire pressures, i have 19s and i am running fairly high PSI on front and rear
Winter
front: 42 PSI
rear: 45PSI

summer
front : 40 PSI
rear : 42 PSI

just the way i have been doing...
Wow, seriously high!
Old 01-30-04, 10:46 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Wow, seriously high!
bit, what PSI were you running your S03s at?
Old 01-31-04, 08:01 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Wow, seriously high!
Yeah that is high, I take my large wheels off for the winter, but I usually run them in the 36-38 range during the summer!

when I got them, the shop put 43psi in them and the car rode like a BRICK!! LOL
Old 01-31-04, 08:29 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

geez i'm late on this one but have been haveing the same promlem with the stones, they were great when i 1st got them i would have sworn by them but now its like a loud humming everywhere i go all day...when the tires get some ware in them they just start messing with ya.. i've had them since june and started noticing the louder sound in like october november....sucks... i will b trying another tire when i replace these, mayb goodyear or falcon i hear very nice things about these tires...

feels great 2 have cable speed internet again
Old 02-02-04, 05:50 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was going to get the S0-3's for the price and the fact that everyone seems to love them, until i read a similar thread about road noise. opted for the michelin pilot a/s and they are very quiet so far, and this is coming from pirelli p-zeros
Old 02-02-04, 10:07 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

i'm going 2 ride these out 4 a little longer and then decide between goodyear or the falcons....
Old 02-03-04, 10:58 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just upped my psi this past weekend cuz of all the dang potholes here....now its 48 psi all around.
Old 02-04-04, 12:34 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

wow 48 psi? isn't that a little overkill? generally people have their psi along the weight of their car plus 1-2 psi depending on conditions. 1 psi per 100 pound of your car's weight. I'm not how sure this is but i've read this on supraforums. How do you figure you should have 48 psi in your tires? thanks
Old 02-04-04, 08:13 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Same problem has developed out of one of my driver's front S03 at 8K miles of highway driving. Howling noise between 35-65mph but worse at 50mph.

Shop I bought tires from said suspect tire was "cupped". Fronts were rotated side to side (dismount, rotate, balance). Howling noise is now significantly reduced, and of course it is now coming from the passenger side.

I've run these tires at 35psi since new. I religiously check and maintain tire pressure every week as I have an air compressor in my garage. Guess I'll try a higher PSI (40) and see if this minimizes noise. The only thing that concerns me is that a higher PSI will increase the chance of rim damage if I hit a pothole.
Old 02-04-04, 07:33 PM
tjp67
Driver School Candidate

Angry so3's

Had these on my 03 430 for 14 mos. Purchased them based on reviews from tire rack . About seven month in or approx. 8k miles they became a living nightmare. I tried everything, alignment, pressure, etc. They sung like a bird. A tortured bird. The car handled like it was on rails but the noise was overbearing. My wife refused to drive the car. I could not wait to take them off. Took them off wtih at least 4/32 of tread remaining. Just last week had the Dunlop sp9000 put on, what a difference. Just thought I would save a few bucks and skip on the Michelins. I wish this thread existed last year. Heard good things about the Dunlops, hopefully they will remain quiet for awhile!!

Good Luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 GS 430
L-tuned Suspension with 18" 245/40 & 275/35
Old 02-04-04, 11:35 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Default Re: so3's

Originally posted by tjp67
Had these on my 03 430 for 14 mos. Purchased them based on reviews from tire rack . About seven month in or approx. 8k miles they became a living nightmare. I tried everything, alignment, pressure, etc. They sung like a bird. A tortured bird. The car handled like it was on rails but the noise was overbearing. My wife refused to drive the car. I could not wait to take them off. Took them off wtih at least 4/32 of tread remaining. Just last week had the Dunlop sp9000 put on, what a difference. Just thought I would save a few bucks and skip on the Michelins. I wish this thread existed last year. Heard good things about the Dunlops, hopefully they will remain quiet for awhile!!

Good Luck!2003 GS 430
L-tuned Suspension with 18" 245/40 & 275/35

sounds like the boat I am in with my S03's.It sounds like someone is humming in my ear CONSTANTLY when I am driving.I tell people who havent ridden in my car before that what their about to hear is the tires, just because I KNOW they are gonna ask me what the hell that noise is.When the same girl that didnt even notice she had a dent on her car notices the noise my tires are making then I know I have a problem!!!

I had the SP9000's on my old 20's. I had 255/35/ZR20 all around and the noise was tolerable but I went through a set of those tires like once a week. I am gonna probably try the goodyear next.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by GSTRANCE; 02-04-04 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 12:54 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: so3's

Originally posted by GSTRANCE
sounds like the boat I am in with my S03's.It sounds like someone is humming in my ear CONSTANTLY when I am driving.I tell people who havent ridden in my car before that what their about to hear is the tires, just because I KNOW they are gonna ask me what the hell that noise is.When the same girl that didnt even notice she had a dent on her car notices the noise my tires are making then I know I have a problem!!!

I had the SP9000's on my old 20's. I had 255/35/ZR20 all around and the noise was tolerable but I went through a set of those tires like once a week. I am gonna probably try the goodyear next.

i know exactly what u'r saying "g" i let people know whats up b4 they get in my car too...i played with my moms head once ingoring the sound and saying i heard nothing when she asked what it was...lol..that was mean but they were so good when i 1st got them...i'm alos going 2 try good year lex4life has them and swears by them...

Quick Reply: S03's driving me INSANE!!!!!!!!