Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20" 3 piece forged wheel for $777 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 09:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

did i tell you guys that i am in cali?

thanks for the awesome inside bob, great that you leak out some insider news, it's helpful to a lot of people to understand how things work. and i can't agree more on the part about quality -- even if it's forged, it doesn't means it's strong.
Old 04-22-04, 10:36 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
-- even if it's forged, it doesn't means it's strong.
Thanks for the education on quality guys!

I am one of those American's SoCalSC4 mentioned that thought " because it is made in America there must be a specific set of standards the product must pass prior to sale."

Now that you have seen my list of companies and wheel styles, can you recommend any of those that are on my list or offer a "STAY-AWAY-AT-ALL-COSTS" head's up for me?

At the risk of being banned, I have to make this statement. I feel like some members on CL have "HRE snobbery". If you don't have HRE's - you're riding on *****!!! Just because we drive nice cars doesn't mean we are willing to spend, $7K on rims.

[disclaimer] I would love a set of 19x8.5 | 19x9.5 HRE 540R [/disclaimer]

Last edited by TwentyTen; 04-22-04 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-22-04, 11:01 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Darius, I think alot of us like HRE's alot and would love to have them so they are kinda held in high regard, may come off as snobbish I guess. kinda like JP tails!

Anyway, I would stay away from GFG, not because they are not nice wheels, but due to their pricing. I think they have some great looking styles, but a 20x10 wheel is 1700 bucks on Superbuytires. I think that is a very high price for a wheel line that was introduced last year.

Now to confuse the issue even more, can we talk about billet wheels? From my understanding:

Billet is cut or milled out of solid state metal

Forged is PRESSED out of solid state metal (high pressure)

Cast is liquid state metal poured into a mold

Is that right? Best out of 3?
Old 04-22-04, 12:00 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey rominl, If the HRE 545R had wider spokes I would let my Wife buy them for me , Don't get me wrong I am not looking for the cheap way out, I am looking for a certain 5 spoke look.............Like the DPE 5 spoke seems to be my favorite style so far..........So romini any help is welcome, thank you !................MIKE
Old 04-22-04, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Lexkost
Hey rominl, If the HRE 545R had wider spokes I would let my Wife buy them for me , Don't get me wrong I am not looking for the cheap way out, I am looking for a certain 5 spoke look.............Like the DPE 5 spoke seems to be my favorite style so far..........So romini any help is welcome, thank you !................MIKE
hahhaa i know how to get hre for good prices, but i don't know how to change the design in fact that's something i don't like about the 545 too, i think the spokes are somewhat "not thick enough and not thin enough". maybe that's just me. but on the LS i guess that already looks better than the 547r. in terms of style i think the iforged aero looks better.

Darius2004, just to clarify, i would hate to see anyone here who says hre or death too. it's meaningless and stupid imho. there ARE other good wheels for reasonable price here. imho hre is very good, and worth the money (otherwise iw ouldn't have gotten it), but there are definitely other options there.

plus if you ask 540r, it's not THAT expensive. yes it's more on the expensive side, but last time i check for example the iforged same style aren't signigifcanly cheaper
Old 04-22-04, 01:22 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HRE wheels are certianly high quality and very respectable.

However, Symbolic Wheels also make a very quality high-end product that is probably more geared to the luxury market and Bling Bling Crowd.

I have talked to many of my industry contacts and all speak highly of Symbolic and its products.

Just wanted to set the record stright and clarify things.

Ted
Old 04-22-04, 01:38 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the quick replies!

Rominl: What kind of deal can you get on HRE, PM if you need to? Anything in my price range? ($3500 a set).

D: doing a quick search, I found this explanation from Boyd Coddington:
Q: What is the difference between billet and forged wheels?
A: Billet wheels are made of billet aluminum, which is a very dense and strong aluminum. Billet is only used in the center of the wheel, and a spun aluminum barrel is used. Forged billet wheels are heat treated to make the aluminum dense. Forged barrels are used on the wheels, making them stronger overall rim than billet rims.
Yeah GFG are EXPENSIVE!!!. I keep thinking I'm going to find the rims I'm looking for on a BLOWOUT sale somewhere; Instead of paying 1K per rim I can get them in my price range.

Lexkost The 545 are nice!

Ted: Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited by TwentyTen; 04-22-04 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 01:56 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Darius2004, Look at the DPE's in this forum ..............Look Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=117529

Last edited by Lexkost; 04-22-04 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 06:37 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexkost
Darius2004, Look at the DPE's in this forum ..............Look Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=117529
Yeah, those are nice. Looks like they are polished instead of chrome. Isn't polish harder to maintain?

Old 04-22-04, 06:57 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Darius2004
Yeah, those are nice. Looks like they are polished instead of chrome. Isn't polish harder to maintain?

Yes you can get polished .......Look at my pic on this thread first page of my polished wheel over 3 years old and they are easy to maintain..........
Old 04-22-04, 07:03 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i've read and heard the stories about i-forged but i think many issues were do 2 their old facilities, they have a new bigger facility and r starting move these wheels out pretty fast....i was able 2 c at this past show a set of i-forged wheels in person 4 the 1st time and i asked if he could park next 2 a member who had hre's and i must say the quality is just flawless on both ON appearance...also in speaking 2 the owner of the i-forged , i asked him if he had any issues mounting or balanceing them, he answered no. than if he had hit and holes where he thought he bent the rim, and he said yes he a couple holes where he thought he bent it 4 sure and pullled over and it was not affected, thats what i go by....really should look at them again as an option...depending of finish he can get the wheels over pretty darn fast...

Last edited by bluelex; 04-22-04 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 07:03 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Darius2004, You should PM Seize he seems to know about the DPE wheels and has seen them in person.
Old 04-23-04, 05:21 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks Blue, Thanks Lex!
Old 04-23-04, 06:28 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Darius2004
Thanks Blue, Thanks Lex!
No need to thank me, I am looking for new wheels also and all this info I can use too.
Old 04-24-04, 01:52 AM
Fongx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Cast the first stone? Check these recent links.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...&highlight=hre

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/show...?threadid=30097

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Interesting- they say nothing about their engineering... obviously, this is a critical part of making a wheel. In the USA, most people assume that wheels need to pass some type of minimum strength test to be sold. This is not the case- anybody with a slab of aluminum and a milling machine can get into the wheel making business. This is what really ticks me off- people always say "well, the materials are good, and they are three-piece wheels- they must be good quality." It's just not that easy.

It's funny, because I ran into two of the guys from Symbolic at the Long Beach Grand Prix last weekend- I have known one of the guys since he was a customer of mine! I should just say that there is no bad blood between us, more like a friendly rivalry. They are actually really cool guys (we are all "car guys," after all) and we are both pursuing different "types" of customers... one of the guys actually mentioned that they use us as a business model- the other commented that all their stuff looks like ours! I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (?). At the end of the day, the company I work for is at the top of the three-piece wheel market, so it's all good.

On another note, there have been several cases where wheel manufacturers have had wheels fail catastropically on vehicles- even very recently! The "Johnny-come-lately" wheel manufacturers can get around this by paying the "injured party" off and repairing their car- or they can get out of the wheel business as a few already have (even locally in Southern California there are at least two wheel companies who have essentially vanished in the last year). I won't name names because these companies are still making and marketing other automotive products (non wheel-related) that are perfectly safe.

I am amused by the phrase "half the weight of casted." That's getting a bit technical for me... Perhaps they are referring simply to "cast" aluminum? "Casted?" Really?

Sorry for the rant, but as a dedicated employee of a company who has been doing this since 1981, perhaps I take this a bit personally... we are in this for the long-haul, not the quick buck.

Regards,

Bob Hale
Project Manager
HRE Performance Wheels

Quick Reply: 20" 3 piece forged wheel for $777 ?