Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S pulling problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-04, 09:02 AM
Burk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Michelin Pilot Sport A/S pulling problem

I'm new to the Lexus world and to this forum. After driving a 740i for ten years I just bought a new LS430 Sport . I managed to get the dealer to exchange the 18" Bridgeston Turanza ER33's for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's and a small cash donation.

Unfortunately I've encountered the infamous "pulling to the right" problem that I read some others have had . The dealer has tried swapping the tires front to back and also remounting the tires on the rims so as to swap them side to side but no luck.

The dealer now tells me that the car is out of alignment and they need to order a new rear strut to correct the alignment. I'm puzzled by this as the car has been driven only 65 miles and encountered nothing to cause mis-alignment. Also the car was not pulling with the Bridgestones. So the car currently sits at the dealership waiting for the part to arrive.

I'm hoping that someone has discovered the cure to the "A/S pulling problem" and can tell me what needs to be done. I don't have much confidence that the dealer is going to be able to fix it on their own.

Thanks in advance for any much needed assistance.
Old 05-16-04, 05:04 PM
J_RoK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try bringing it to a local Mavis or some tire shop.. See if the alignment is ok, they might have messed up when installing.. Or make sure all the tires are ballenced right

Its always nice to get a second opionon... even if it is a Lexus dealer

Goodluck

J
Old 05-16-04, 05:10 PM
dmizock
Driver School Candidate

Default Pilot Sport A/S Tire Pull

I'm suffering from the same problem with my SC430. I replaced the amazingly horrible RE040 runflats with the Pilot Sport PS2's and found that the PS2's were still noisier than I wanted. However, with both the RF's and the PS2's, the car tracked straight. My dealer agreed to swap the PS2's with the Pilot Sport A/S. The ride is smooth and quiet, the car handles great, and it pulls to the right. We rotated the tires front to back, one side at a time, with no effect. Is it an alignment issue? But why only with the A/S's?
Old 05-17-04, 12:32 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S pulling problem

Originally posted by Burk
I'm new to the Lexus world and to this forum. After driving a 740i for ten years I just bought a new LS430 Sport . I managed to get the dealer to exchange the 18" Bridgeston Turanza ER33's for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's and a small cash donation.

Unfortunately I've encountered the infamous "pulling to the right" problem that I read some others have had . The dealer has tried swapping the tires front to back and also remounting the tires on the rims so as to swap them side to side but no luck.

The dealer now tells me that the car is out of alignment and they need to order a new rear strut to correct the alignment. I'm puzzled by this as the car has been driven only 65 miles and encountered nothing to cause mis-alignment. Also the car was not pulling with the Bridgestones. So the car currently sits at the dealership waiting for the part to arrive.

I'm hoping that someone has discovered the cure to the "A/S pulling problem" and can tell me what needs to be done. I don't have much confidence that the dealer is going to be able to fix it on their own.

Thanks in advance for any much needed assistance.
Burk -

I had the same problem with my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S when I first slapped them on. Got an alignment right aways....and then noticed it pulled to the right. I had the alignment shop do it again....after that...it still pulled to the right.

My only guess is that it was due to the tread pattern....or the height of rubber tread... maybe its 1mm higher on one side of the tire...which could cause the pulling. Funny thing is that after driving it for over +3000 miles (5 months) as my daily driver to and from work.....the pulling stopped completely.

Regardless of the pulling problem....I still love these tires and will NOT buy anything else.

Pete
Old 05-17-04, 08:55 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pilot Sport A/S

Burk this is a problem with these tires that has occured rarely on some larger body vehicles. Please call Michelin CS at 800.847.3435.
Old 05-17-04, 12:08 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Default Re: Pilot Sport A/S

Originally posted by Brandon@TR
Burk this is a problem with these tires that has occured rarely on some larger body vehicles. Please call Michelin CS at 800.847.3435.
Brandon....

What can Michelin offer to fix this? Just wondering if it happens to me again.

Pete
Old 05-17-04, 12:11 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Case by case

They are handling these on a case by case basis.
Old 05-21-04, 10:15 AM
Burk
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Pilot Sport A/S - Outcome

The outcome of my problem:

The good news- The dealership found that it's alignment equipment was at fault and my new LS did not need re-aligned.

The bad news- All efforts to correct the pulling to the right have failed. Even after ordering and installing a new pair of Michelin P.S.A/S tires there was no change. So today they are re-installing the original Bridgestone RE33 tires.

After thoroughly researching the many instances of this "Pull to the right" problem that is associated with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on heavier vehicles it's my opinion that if you encounter this problem there is little chance that it can be corrected. Yet many awho have selected this tire have been fortunate and had no problem at all.

Be aware that Mercedes has recognized this problem and found no solution. In January 2004 they issued a service bulletin stating they refuse to try to correct any tracking problem when this tire is in use. Here's a link to a copy of the bulletin:

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/th...posts=2&fid=39

Hopefully my experience will help others.
Old 05-24-04, 06:41 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Burk...

Thanks for the info....I guess MB figured it out fast....its NOT their vehicles...its the tires.

Im still luvin my tires.

Pete
Old 05-25-04, 03:39 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My solution to the pulling problem...

Not on my GS400, but on my Honda Odyssey-my solution will be to replace the A/S Sports. Great all season high perf. tire but I have not been able to eliminate the pulling problem either. Well, actually by swapping the two front tires side to side, but of course then they are rotating backwards. I have exhausted all the usual possibilities and have officially given up.
At least it's somewhat satisfying to know it's a "common" problem...
Old 05-25-04, 05:38 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is an issue with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on vehicles that have lots of positive caster.
The tires are round and true, but for some reason they have this 'pulling' issue on some vehicles- the new E-Class is one example.

Michelins are great tires. I know they try to plan for worst-case scenarios, but you can't always predict what will happen with certain vehicles. Perhaps you can swap them out for the PS2s...