Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: Who has ever bent their High End Rims ???
No problem for "X" # of miles. Post your milage.
24.04%
Yes, once or twice.
48.09%
Yes, more than twice.
27.87%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Who has ever bent their Rims ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 09:53 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the front.

Looks like it could be a Lexus rim since it has the correct offset.

Customer was in SoCal.

All I know.
Attached Thumbnails Who has ever bent their Rims ?-front-view-bent-wheel.jpg  
Old 08-03-04, 09:55 PM
RMMGS4

If I have time to keep stopping by, I'll post pics of the repair process of this rim.
Attached Thumbnails Who has ever bent their Rims ?-bent-wheel-2.jpg  
Old 08-03-04, 11:11 PM
1NewLexIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unfortunately i just bent my 19" Z1's.......i plan to bring it to wheel techniques this weekend.......i'll post pics later of before and after....
Old 08-03-04, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man he must have hit a damn wall with that....
Old 08-04-04, 05:54 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

BBS RGR for 13k miles, no problem
Old 08-17-04, 05:07 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

SSR GT3, had them on 2 years, bent 3 times, these lips are way too soft.

HRE 446R, 6 months, none.
Old 08-19-04, 01:21 AM
blacklscls
Driver School Candidate

I haven't bent my Tom's Racing rims , but I did screw up my Impul R1 rims (different car)way back in the late 90's. I think they were forged , but repairing them was a chore. Had to repair them every 6 months, because it was cracked. If is a bent rim. It is no big deal. My friend had 17" BBS rims and had only one bend once. No problems whatsoever. If you crack them. You are probably better off getting a new rim to stop the headaches. There are some wheel repair places that could do a good job.
Old 11-27-04, 06:53 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SSR GT7-h 245/40/18 F on 8.5 and 275/35/18 R on 9.5 for 6 mo / 8,000
Hit a few pot holes hard but no problems. I keep 40 psi on all 4
Old 11-28-04, 02:35 PM
Shyne
Driver

ive had lowenharts, works, and dronnel's...all of these rims have been bent in some form or another...lowenharts and dronell's are quality rims, but they are very soft aluminum and they bend extremely easily...the works i had were probably the strongest rims ive seen besides forged rims...they had a rolled lip which give more strength and they still bent...the size of the pothole is what matters and the cushioning of the tire...if you are riding on 35's you can damn near bend any rim...i always got my rims fixed by professionals who can balance the wheel out right and make sure there isn't any imbalance in the rim after it is fixed...this is the important thing because a dent can be banged out but the balance of the wheel is still going to be off...im real **** about my rims and they can't be hopping around town if im trying to ride clean...if you have bent a rim, i suggest turning to the pros... www.wheeltechnologies.com ...Ask for Jose' and tell him Amir sent you...The flat rate is 125$ to fix a silver or high polish aluminum rim, for chrome its about 275$...im telling you these people kick *** on wheel repair and can have the rim back to you in a week...check out the site and navigate the site to look at how they fix rims with the highest technology in wheel repair...Shyne
Old 03-13-05, 12:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

stock 15" wheels, 144,000 miles and perfectly round.
Old 03-13-05, 02:02 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

my friend bent his 19" boyds
215 on a 19x8.. they held up for a while.. bend was small. easy repair
Old 04-11-05, 08:21 PM
drnkcarlos
Driver

How are most of you bending your wheels, is it mostly from commuting and bad roads and accidents? Any one have damage from racing (track street etc...)?
Old 06-11-05, 04:01 AM
RMMGS4

With all the HRE negative press going on lately, I thought it appropriate to bump this up to see if any I-Forged, HRE and other higher end wheel owners are experiencing troubles.

Post away??
Old 06-11-05, 08:34 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volk GT-U 18 x 8 w/ about 2 inch lip... bent one lip (pothole season ... especially after the January storms in So. Cal.) Bent while on 225 40 R18 Kumho Ecsta 711... learn my lesson and now on 225 40 R18 PIrelli PZero Nero =P I've been driving on these rims for about 30K miles now.

I'm still driving on the bent lip (bent in Feb?) for about 10,000 miles... no air leaks, it's only cosmetic. I also have a chip in one of my rims. My riceboy mentallity that forged rims > all failed me LOL... ever since the bend incident, I read up on forged vs cast technologies and found out what each really was... lol

Forged: Stronger and lighter but more prone to bends... can usually be fixed

Cast: Not as strong as forged, but definately cheaper! However, it's more prone to cracking...

So in essence, I think a ' medium hit' of equal force to a forged and cast rim would: Forged: no damage, Cast: bend. a 'hard hit' would cause forged to bend while cast to crack... and cracked forged... that's sad... like the chip in my lip =[

Last edited by xravexboix; 06-11-05 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-11-05, 12:46 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by xravexboix
Volk GT-U 18 x 8 w/ about 2 inch lip... bent one lip (pothole season ... especially after the January storms in So. Cal.) Bent while on 225 40 R18 Kumho Ecsta 711... learn my lesson and now on 225 40 R18 PIrelli PZero Nero =P I've been driving on these rims for about 30K miles now.

I'm still driving on the bent lip (bent in Feb?) for about 10,000 miles... no air leaks, it's only cosmetic. I also have a chip in one of my rims. My riceboy mentallity that forged rims > all failed me LOL... ever since the bend incident, I read up on forged vs cast technologies and found out what each really was... lol

Forged: Stronger and lighter but more prone to bends... can usually be fixed

Cast: Not as strong as forged, but definately cheaper! However, it's more prone to cracking...

So in essence, I think a ' medium hit' of equal force to a forged and cast rim would: Forged: no damage, Cast: bend. a 'hard hit' would cause forged to bend while cast to crack... and cracked forged... that's sad... like the chip in my lip =[

What brand of Forged rim did you have? In general your concept of the effects of forged vs. cast damaged is a reasonable observation.

I actually got a little confused with what you said until I read it 3 times.

So another way of saying it would be:

Forged are generally much stronger than cast wheel lips.

A damaged cast wheel will crack, while a damaged forged wheel will bend (up to a point).

I think the one thing to note is that the force required to bend a forged rim is many times greater than the force requred to crack a cast rim.

At first it sounded like you were saying a forged rim will bend while a cast rim wil crack, using the same force on both. Just want to make sure people didn't mis-understand.

Quick Reply: Who has ever bent their Rims ?