Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: Who has ever bent their High End Rims ???
No problem for "X" # of miles. Post your milage.
24.04%
Yes, once or twice.
48.09%
Yes, more than twice.
27.87%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Who has ever bent their Rims ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-05, 01:40 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to confuse people It makes it easier for me to sound smarter

Although you pay the premium for FORGED and Brand name... I'd do it again. I paid retail for the rims but got a set of cruddy kumhos for free.
Old 06-12-05, 10:25 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a flat tire on the freeway and ended up getting a slight bend on one of my 19" Lowenhart LD1 wheels. It was maybe bent iin about 2mm. Very slight, it would still hold air but I had it fixed anyways. I'm sure if I hadn't busted the flat on the freeway I wouldn't of gotten that bend.

anyways..... I think its a common problem for most ppl w/ larger diameter wheels. It's almost unavoidable IMHO pending on where you live.
Old 06-13-05, 12:54 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

SSR Integral A2

One rim bent, had buy a new one. They don't make the A2 in the size as my other 3, since they are staggered, now one front rim is smaller than the other. Looks weird on the car, but still flows decently. I don't have them on the car anymore, they are sitting in the basement. Probly got about 8-10k driven on them before the bend. Anyhow, I don't see who would want to buy these rims, esp. with one being a different size. For now, theyre just in the basement.
Old 06-13-05, 02:39 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

bent one of my Armano Dunamis ..due to me going head on into the curve a week 1/2 ago

ok anyone know of any local shops that can fix my rim
Old 06-26-05, 12:47 PM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

bent 2... passenger side.. both still hold air...

Volk GT-C's...

getting repaired hopefully this week!
Old 07-01-05, 10:43 AM
tmasta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19 volk av3.. bent front rim on highway.. rear rim has a bend on inner part when i took rim off.
Old 07-02-05, 04:39 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WhiteTiger
I have 3 piece Enkei Rims that when I went to replace the 1st set of tires all 4 rims had dents on the inner rim lip. They pounded them out and I've had little problems since. I drive the car pretty hard and even minimally rough bumps tend to cause dents, but since it is a lease and they are easily repaired I haven't been too worried as I now check them every few weeks to ensure that I fix and major dings in them. Cost me about $20 a rim to the all the dents removed.

WT, I also live in Ft. Lauderdale where did you take you wheels to be fixed? The place I took my BR5's SUCK big time and it cost me $350 bucks. errrrrrr

Thanks!
Old 07-02-05, 07:26 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bent the inside lip on one of my gettins. had them repaired at glens wheel polishing in tampa.
Old 07-11-05, 12:24 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Never bent any of my rims, partically because I don't use cheap quality wheels.

SSR DeColte 17" 3 piece (circa 1992 discontinued) with 235/45/17 Falken Azenis. 45K
Advan SA3R 17" 2 piece (circa 1993 discontinued) with 245/40/17 Toyo Proxes 12K

If you don't want to bend your rims, don't get cheap one piece cast aluminum wheels (ie: ADR, Konig, Tenzo-R, etc)

Avoid potholes.

Regardless of the brand and quality, The larger rim size you get, along with the smaller sidewall you use greatly increases your chance of bending a rim over bumps. Additionally, the lighter the weight of the wheel can also increase the chances, especially on heavier cars.

If you are running 19's on 30-35 series tires, and daily drive your car-- the chances of damaging and bending your rims is very great.
Old 10-30-05, 10:03 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Thumbs down Velox.....Need I say More?

High end does not apply in the case of my bent rims. 2 words would sum it up ....Velox suck!....Actually lets make it 3 words ..Velox Majorly Suck!!!
I've only bent 2 wheels out of all the cars and wheels I've owned. and both were from the same set of Velox (wich im happy to say I sold). 1 was a very minor pothole, the other was my girlfriend's doing, as she regularly curbs wheels. I cringe everytime she parks. I couuldnt hit the curb as much as her if i aimed.
Old 01-10-06, 09:17 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

I put a dent in one of my Auto Couture Supreme BR's. I don't fault the wheels though because the pothole was really bad. Previously I have hit some pretty bad potholes with no obvious damage. The roads out here in Northeast PA look like they belong in a warzone. They really look like bombs have gone off.
Old 05-02-06, 10:55 AM
GSKING430
Driver

I cracked a 20x10 Lownehart LDR, didn't even notice it untill I went flat. The inner wheel part by the tire cracked about an inch. Well since they won't sell sperate pieces at Dazz or Lowenhart I had to buy a new rim. Last time I ever buy Lowenhart
Old 06-25-06, 12:52 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I had some 17" Lexani Marqi wheels on my old 1999 ES300 and I hit a freakin' crater on the highway and bent the rim. I got the rim fixed but not rechromed and it was fine for a while but I guess they didn't do a good job fixing it because the tire eventually deflated. Now I'm running 20" Panther Burn rims (Lowenhart LD-1 knockoffs). I've hit some pretty bad potholes and nothing, no damage at all.
Old 06-25-06, 01:34 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

I bent my Volk wheels a few years ago, it wasn't really bad so I put it off until a few weeks ago when I sent all 4 wheels to the rim shop.
When I had my older suspension (JIC), it was a little stiffer suspension, that could be a reason why the rims ended up getting bent (pot holes are another reason). However, I switched to the Tein SS suspension, this suspension seems to be a lot softer. hopefully when I get the wheels back it stays straight.
I'm also going with a thicker tire, 45 as opposed to 40 series tires.
Old 06-26-06, 01:27 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I was driving around one night and took a turn a little too fast with a little too much gas. It was wet out...so I guess that was a bad idea in the first place

Anyways, I took the turn and the car slid sideways and I overcorrected. I went straigt into a curb. Both wheels head on! Good thing my car wasn't lowered back then lol. Oh yea, this was on the stock 16's. They're damn strong. I hit that curb head on going at least 20-25mph or so. I backed the car off the curb and pulled into a sideroad to check for damage. I thougt I lost a piece of the rim or something, but everything was intact and I drove back home.

I have some G35Coupe 18's on right now. I was driving at night and wasn't paying attention for a sec. Then all of a sudden BAM over some railroad tracks @ 50mph. This was a deep wedge kinda track where it drops down at least a 1-2 inches and comes back up! No damage yet and I'm running a 35 profile up front.

Not sure if you can call those high end....but they do cost $1000 Front / $1200 Rear a piece at the dealer

I guess these OEM rims are just strong as hell?

Quick Reply: Who has ever bent their Rims ?