Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

High disc,Low disc,Normal disc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-04, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very interesting brandon, never thought about that. among the wheels that i know / pay more attention to, wheels like hre, iforged, and most jdm wheels they do have these high/norm/low disk setup

among the wheels you guys offer, i am a bit surprised, doesn't bbs or ssr offer disk type? or just by default the front is high disk and the rear is norm/low disk?
Old 06-04-04, 09:48 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well...

In the products we sell the caliper clearance is related to the offset and dimension of the wheel. So there may be a brand or style that has a lot of caliper clearance "high disk" but that is just how the wheel is made.

I don't sell any wheels that have exactly the same dimension and offset that come in different caliper clearances (incl BBS, OZ, SSR), and I was just wondering if there are brands that offer this.

I suspect that when we are talking about this we are just talking about a specific brand/style that just happens to have a shape of spoke and offset to accommodate big brakes, and doesn't actually offer a choice in clearance IN THE SAME WHEEL, but I could be wrong.

It would be cool if there were wheels that came with the option of difference clearances but it seems to me like this would be cost prohibitive for the manufacturer, but again I may be wrong.
Old 06-04-04, 10:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

very interesting info there, i would definitely want to hear more info from other wheels guru here, this could be very beneficial to members when they are shopping for wheels.

one thing i am sure you are right though, if a manufacturer offers disk type, it's definitely more cost to them. coz' the shape of the center piece is completely different, so that means a totally different mold or so. so i am not surprised if the cost is higher and thus the retail
Old 06-04-04, 10:10 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Default Exactly

Yes, exactly, to offer a wheel that has the exact same offset, bolt pattern, and dimensions BUT has different caliper clearance would be quite expensive. However maybe there are some "leet" brands out there that do this? BBS, HRE, Fikse are pretty "leet" in my mind anyway and I know BBS doesn't offer this option and I'm pretty sure HRE and Fikse don't either.

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 06-04-04 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-04-04, 11:17 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myabe depending on what offset you get relates to what disc setup you have, maybe you dont have a choice. for example, .20x8.5 front with a 38 offset, will automatically give you a high disc type wheel,.20x8.5 front with a 35 offset, will automatically give you a normal disc type wheel This makes more sense to me, especially from the wheel companies.

Last edited by Lettuce; 06-04-04 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-04-04, 02:03 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lettuce
Myabe depending on what offset you get relates to what disc setup you have, maybe you dont have a choice. for example, .20x8.5 front with a 38 offset, will automatically give you a high disc type wheel,.20x8.5 front with a 35 offset, will automatically give you a normal disc type wheel This makes more sense to me, especially from the wheel companies.
Actually +35mm gives u 3mm more than +38mm for brake clrearence.
Old 06-04-04, 03:45 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as I can tell, offset and disc fitment has always been 2 different options on the different wheels that I've been considering. Maybe other manufacturers are different. I was not told that "you can only have high disc with these offsets."

Where's Bob and Vince when you need them?
Old 06-04-04, 04:06 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Default Exactly

Exactly Neo.

So what is the point?

This language of high vs. low disk vs. medium disk is only relevent if it is an option in the same exact wheel.

If it isn't an option then we need only talk about whether the wheel clears the caliper or not. I feel it is just confusing and basically irrelevent. What is relevent is whether or not it will rub.

No matter who sells you a wheel the only way to know for sure is to get a brake template and test it against the wheel. For OE applications we do this for every car that comes out. For big brake kits we know this for the kits we sell and can, with a template, tell for any other bbk.
Old 06-04-04, 04:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Lettuce
no, i know for sure that offset has absolutely nothing to do with disk type, it's just two different things. but yes, if you get a 35, you have more clearance than 38. but that doesn't change the disk type of the wheels (if there is any for that particular wheel)
Old 06-04-04, 04:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Exactly

Originally posted by Brandon@TR
Exactly Neo.

So what is the point?

This language of high vs. low disk vs. medium disk is only relevent if it is an option in the same exact wheel.

If it isn't an option then we need only talk about whether the wheel clears the caliper or not. I feel it is just confusing and basically irrelevent. What is relevent is whether or not it will rub.

No matter who sells you a wheel the only way to know for sure is to get a brake template and test it against the wheel. For OE applications we do this for every car that comes out. For big brake kits we know this for the kits we sell and can, with a template, tell for any other bbk.
agree with you brandon, disk type is only useful when we are talking about wheels with this option. otherwise all you can do is just keep on reducing the offset until the brakes clear, then you see if you rub with that offset, nothing else you can do.

but for wheels with disk type option, then in order to fit big brakes you will need high disk for sure. i have a feeling that if there is high/norm/low disk options available for a wheel, then the offset range for that wheel would be less than those without disk type?
Old 06-04-04, 04:24 PM
Neo
The One

Here is an image from the Work wheel site. I know it is in Japanese but you can see the different shapes of the wheel depeding on the disk type.

Obviously O-disk is low where you can get the deep lips and R-disk is for big calipers.

Last edited by Neo; 06-04-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 04:28 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Default Wheels

I'm not aware Rom, of any wheel companies that offer this option. I would be willing to bet this term has just entered the language on it's own with no real basis. I have to date not seen a wheel that offers this option and I'm guessing thats because there are none.
Old 06-04-04, 04:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well for sure volkracing has them, type I and type II, at least for their gtc gtn series. i have ads at home where it shows the different shape of the spokes where one type is more outward for the brakes. even on my old volks av3, the spokes in the front curves out a lot more than that of the rear to clear big brakes. will see if i can take some pics this weekend of the ads
Old 06-04-04, 04:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hopefully gs4will can chime in with his info tonight too
Old 06-04-04, 04:54 PM
Neo
The One

Default Re: Wheels

Originally posted by Brandon@TR
I'm not aware Rom, of any wheel companies that offer this option. I would be willing to bet this term has just entered the language on it's own with no real basis. I have to date not seen a wheel that offers this option and I'm guessing thats because there are none.
What options? The disk type? You can see the difference in the pic I posted of the different disks on the Work wheels.

Quick Reply: High disc,Low disc,Normal disc?