Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

High disc,Low disc,Normal disc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 09:44 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High disc,Low disc,Normal disc?

I was curious about the disc situations on wheels. I know that when you get some new shoes, on some rims you have an option to have high, low, or normal disc. The question is? If you have a high disc does that mean you would have less of a lip? I got a suggestion from an internet vendor about purchasing some wheels, and he stated:

"Hi,

I can offer these for 4500/set in full chrome - the current dollar to yen
rate has really hammered the price.

The "higher" the disk, the more brake clearance you will have (and less
lip). usually we tun a high disk up front (the Lexus has a long front
spindle) and a low disk in the rear.

Best regards,"

my question is how much is the difference between a low disc and a high disc? Is it minimal? I would like to have nice size lip on the front, as well. Some wheels I have seen of this forum that have a nice size front lip are PandaGS430(I think) It looks like he has both the front and rear wheels with the same size lip!!! This is what is sounds like to me:

High disc:-little lip
Normal disc:-normal size lip/for the size of rim.
low disc:-oversized lip for the size of rim

Im confused!

Last edited by Lettuce; 06-03-04 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 09:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you want high disk in the front (which i always suggest), yes you will most likely get less lip in general. the difference could be quite significant. for example if you get low disk in the front for max lip, maybe you can get 3", but with high disk you might be down to only 2" or so
Old 06-03-04, 12:27 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will you ever be considering a big brake upgrade in combination with these rims. If so, high disc. But you will never know [for sure] that medium or low could have clear without doing the measurements ahead.
Old 06-03-04, 02:11 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

u definately lose lip when going high disc, from high 2 low with most wheels u lose about an inch or a little bit more, my fronts r normal disc and i have a 2.5-2.75 depending on how u look at lips. if i had gone high disc i would have had a 1.8 or so inch lip just under 2 inches pretty much. in the rear i think u have another option as in super low disk, 4 max lip..it got me 3.95 4 the rear. if u r never going 2 run a bigbrake kit than go normal up front and real low out back 4 nice front and rear lips...other wise go high disc up front.... or try 2 find a medium where u can run a spacer and offset 2 give u lip and clearance...its confuseing..

Last edited by bluelex; 06-03-04 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 02:42 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I kinda wanted the best of both worlds, I refused to only have a 1" or 1.5" front lip, but I didnt want to limit myself regarding brake options. Although I wasnt thinking about bbk's around the time I ordered my wheels, I want one now. LOL. So I specified bbk clearance AND a 2" front lip when I ordered my wheels and thats what I have.

The disk situation can vary amongst wheel companies as well. The JDM companies seem to offer spoke styles that can net you a decent lip in all scenarios. For instance on a Gettin, you could probably get a 2" lip and bbk clearance easily, but on most 3pc forged wheels, you are stuck with about 1-1.5" on a hi disk setup. Its complex man, it involves the wheel design, the consturction (forged vs cast, 2pc vs 3pc), on and on.

I say got for hi-disk and do your best to get 2" lip, IMHO thats the bare minimum for lip sizes up front. Also, you should get bbk clearance because if you ever want to sell the wheels, that will open you up to a larger base of customers.
Old 06-03-04, 03:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, i got high disk in the front for my ap racing and i still get a good 2 1/4" lip, not bad

and yes, high disk and stuff is again vary a lot. sometimes you can have high disk setup and still not fit big brakes
Old 06-03-04, 04:31 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

depends on which wheel and what width:

high, ~1-1.75" lip
normal, ~ 2-2.75"
low, or super low: ~2.8" and more
Old 06-03-04, 04:59 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

these lips are bigger in front:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...ntest2-med.jpg

these lips are smaller in front than the above pic:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...325march10.jpg

would say that the first pic is normal disc in front, and the bottom pic is a high disc?

thanks

Last edited by Lettuce; 06-03-04 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 05:07 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Lettuce
these lips are bigger in front:

these lips are smaller in front than the above pic:
would say that the first pic is normal disc in front, and the bottom pic is a high disc?

thanks
The first pic is GSINtensive, and I know he was running a VERY aggressive setup, 20x9 with a 35 offset. Just for reference when I had 20x8.5 with 35offset and a low drop i rubbed alot (fender plastic, and fender tab on right turns up driveways), so I cant imagine what it would have been like .5" wider. Intensive's car was only 1.4" drop or somthing like that though (Ltuned). I'll do a search for the disk info. Hold on

I dont think Panda (second pic) every really posted is exact specs, but I'm positive its not as aggressive as intensive

EDIT: i went and looked, but GS4will never said what disk Intensive's wheels were, but i would have to say these are normal disk, look at close they are to the stock caliper. (although that lip is YUMMY )

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 06-03-04 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 05:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i would think so. i am pretty sure gsintensive's car has normal / low disk that's why the big lip. pandags's car i THINK he got high disk, not 100%
Old 06-03-04, 05:49 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

guys..GSI has normal disk, +35 in the front

Lettuce, are you looking for the Equips?
Old 06-03-04, 07:46 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

I am very fond of the Work Equip's, those are the one's Im planning to purchase!! I have never seen them on a white GS, before! maybe I will be the first.

I think I like the style of the normal disc in front with maybe a more aggressive offset, like 38 or 40, So I can have it low, and a nice lip in front without rubbing!! then the back would be the same normal disc with like a 44 offset!! sounds good on text to me!!!!!

Last edited by Lettuce; 06-03-04 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 08:59 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

what sizes are you looking at??
Old 06-03-04, 11:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by GS4Will
what sizes are you looking at??
i say all the way 20s
Old 06-04-04, 08:22 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Educate me

So educate me please guys.

There are wheels, that have the exact same offset and dimensions and style, but are available with different caliper clearances, (shape of spoke, interior diameter, etc.)?

I'm not aware of this in any of the major brands we sell but maybe there are some JDM brands that offer this?

Quick Reply: High disc,Low disc,Normal disc?