Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20" rims ,What i need 2 know? Need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 08:21 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default rims

Welcome to the club. Until you know what you're doing, keep asking a lot of questions regardless of what anyone says. The worse thing is to have spent thousands on a big mistake.
Find yourself a good wheel shop to purchase from. Take some of the info you get here to use only as a way of letting them know you have some info. They usually treat you better when the questions are laced with real info.
Most of us car enthusiasts have strong opinions but they are just opinions. For me, spinners are not really appropriate for a car...especially a luxury car. I think they're more suited for trucks and SUV's. If you really like them at least do it right. The add ons don't always spin. The bearings seem to wear out and they just sit there looking...well..I won't say. Get some nice ones. Davin makes some that look good. The Sprewell Spinner also looks pretty good. Beware, the quality spinners cost $10,000-$15,000.
Last subject. The different sizes look you're asking about is called staggered fitment. It has no practical purposes for regular daily driving. It does for racing. It looks good. It costs more to look good. We're talkin very wide rear tires that cost a little more and you can't rotate which means buying fronts more often...usually that is. A lot has to do with your driving style. One little secret. You'll prolong the life of your performance tires tremendously by keeping them alligned and keeping the air pressure up. Check the air pressure at least once per month. More if you live in a climate with large differences in temperature changes (hot in the daytime, cool at night). These changes affect air pressure a lot.
Old 06-06-04, 08:50 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rims

Originally posted by reggiek
Welcome to the club. Until you know what you're doing, keep asking a lot of questions regardless of what anyone says. The worse thing is to have spent thousands on a big mistake.
Well said Reggie, and I agree 100%. The best thing to do is take your time and figure out what compromises you are willing to accept. Its all a big tradeoff price vs. quality vs. style vs. weight yadda yadda.

Since you live in CT you will not really have to worry about tire life, as you will only be using your tires for about 4-5months out of the year. The staggered fittiment (wider tire in the back) is more exensive. The "lip" that everyone keeps referring to is the edge of the wheel that comes out from the face, which gives the nice deep aggressive look. I dont know what part of CT you live in, but I get my wheel/tire work done at Town Fair Tire, they have good pricing and top notch machinery.

Lastly, if you want spinners get quality ones, all of the add on kits have issues. My buddy paid 2200 bucks for a set and one of them stopped spinning the next day!

I will post a couple of staggered vs. non staggered pics then I'll post a few of some decent spinners.

Edit, this is what all those numbers mean:

Example- 20x8.5" wheel +38et

20 = the diameter of the wheel
8.5= the width of the wheel
38= the offset of the wheel (how far out or in the wheel sits)

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 06-06-04 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-06-04, 08:57 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Here is my car with non-staggered 20x8.5" wheels

Here it is with staggered 20x8.5" front and 20x10" rear wheels

Another car with 20x8.5" front and 20x10" rear staggered wheels

Old 06-06-04, 09:09 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default spinners

Here are a couple wheels that are designed to spin from the onset (as opposed to wheels that just had a spinner added) I would think you have more recourse if you have issues with any of these wheels

DUB TRUMP - 4800 with tires

DAVIN 5900 with tires- probably the BEST quality spinner you can buy.

good luck, and post anymore questions you may have

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 06-06-04 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-06-04, 09:09 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

wow Dgot.. nice examples of staggared wheels.. but i dont think the gril wants to fork over the cash for iforged or ZAUBERs expecially the wait time for them.. BUT love your wheels still
but the spinners pic dont work

also check out the FOOSE LUSSO spinners.. nice quality spinner as well... i personally like the dub trump

Last edited by 00lexondub; 06-06-04 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-06-04, 09:16 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by 00lexondub
wow Dgot.. nice examples
but the spinners pic dont work

also check out the FOOSE LUSSO spinners.. nice quality spinner as well... i personally like the dub trump
yeah as soon as I clicked back, I lost the Dub one lemme try again. I was going to post that Foose one, but it only comes in 22" and 24". I was going to post it because MHT Wheels (maker of Foose), sub-contracted Davin wheels to design, and R&D the spinning mechanism on those wheels, so they should be good quality as well.

Edit - i went back and reloaded the original page and it popped back up! LOL

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 06-06-04 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-06-04, 09:18 AM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DGOT20s
yeah as soon as I clicked back, I lost the Dub one lemme try again. I was going to post that Foose one, but it only comes in 22" and 24". I was going to post it because MHT Wheels (maker of Foose), sub-contracted Davin wheels to design, and R&D the spinning mechanism on those wheels, so they should be good quality as well.

Here is my second try on the Dub Trump
geez after 5600 post still cant post a pic LOL j/k... ill give it a try in a second as well
Old 06-06-04, 04:22 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks

now i got the idea ....the pics helped alot! i will probably do the 8.5 thats standard right?? also i have a little rust on the circle things behind the wheel, what are those called and what can i do about that??

thanks as always!
Old 06-06-04, 04:24 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

rotors buy new ones. lol.. youcould always paint but it wouldnt last
Old 06-06-04, 04:34 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

ok thanks!