Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20 inch rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 05:07 PM
stock4now
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 inch rims

Guys, please help me decide on a size of rims for my car. Those of you that have a gs300 with 20s please give your input. I have heard that if you put 20s on a gs300 it will negatively affect handling, gas milage, breaking distance, acceleration and overall comfort. Please let me know if these are true. My car is a daily driver and I eventually hope to get a body kit. I have not really noticed a big price difference between 19 inch and 20 inch tires, so the replacement cost doesn't really come into play. (please correct me if I'm wrong) Also, I don't really intend on getting a BBK, maybe get drilled rotors in the future. Lastly, I notice that with 19s most of you guys that have a spring and strut combo still have a gap between the tire and fender. Are coilovers the only way to elimiate this? I just want something that will look good but not at the expense of that lexus comfort. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-04, 05:38 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im going to say if you ask this in the wheels forum might ..get a better response

i have 18" with tein flex coilovers and feel every bump

how are the roads by you

what kind of rims are you looking for

i know with 20's there is a rubbing issue

I 'm sorry i wish i could answer your question better

welcome to Club Lexus
Old 08-30-04, 05:41 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DEpending on the bodykit, you may HAVE to get 20s in order for the whole car to flow. I prefer 19s and no body kit or a slightly modified front and rear bumper. Most GS owners here have 20s and they look GREAT with or without a kit.
Old 08-30-04, 05:48 PM
undee
Driver

even if you have 20s you'll still have a gap between tire and fender using spring and strut. Well, i think you gotta have coilovers to get the best drop. Unless you wanna cut the spring, but this is not the correct way to do.
Old 08-30-04, 05:48 PM
ias
Pole Position

in my opinion body kit = 20's all the way, you will find a difference in 19" tire price and 20" tires. 20's are alot more commen so there are better deals.
Old 08-30-04, 06:19 PM
LexFather

S E A R C H
Old 08-30-04, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

LXOGOOD has 20s, you can ask him

gs3 isn't powerful, with most 20s, it's going to be quite a bit slower. specially with wider rim and tire, even slower. braking distance will be affected too coz' of more unsprung weight

but then again, going to 19s will probably have about the same result

and i dont' see how it will affect handling negatively
Old 08-31-04, 12:33 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
LXOGOOD has 20s, you can ask him

gs3 isn't powerful, with most 20s, it's going to be quite a bit slower. specially with wider rim and tire, even slower. braking distance will be affected too coz' of more unsprung weight

but then again, going to 19s will probably have about the same result
Depending on what you get. My rims (19) are 24lbs. 20x10's are only 25.1 lbs :

If weight is a concern, look into lightweight forged rims. Contact D2-Autosport and ask about //WORK or iFORGED wheels.
Attached Thumbnails 20 inch rims-iforgedaero_weight_20x10.jpg  
Old 08-31-04, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Darius2004
Depending on what you get. My rims (19) are 24lbs. 20x10's are only 25.1 lbs :

If weight is a concern, look into lightweight forged rims. Contact D2-Autosport and ask about //WORK or iFORGED wheels.
well that's in line with the weight of stock wheels, 25lb. but the tires of 19s are way heavier than stock, so your wheels are overall heavier. plus, even say you get the same weight, the wheels are bigger so that means you probably have "more" weight on the "outside" of the wheel, which contribute to more inertia and thus longer braking distance
Old 08-31-04, 01:23 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
well that's in line with the weight of stock wheels, 25lb. but the tires of 19s are way heavier than stock, so your wheels are overall heavier. plus, even say you get the same weight, the wheels are bigger so that means you probably have "more" weight on the "outside" of the wheel, which contribute to more inertia and thus longer braking distance
Thanks for the info Henry! When you upgraded from stock, did you feel a big difference?

Last edited by TwentyTen; 08-31-04 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-31-04, 01:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Darius2004
Thanks for the info Henry! When you upgraded from stock, did you feel a big difference?
yup i did. i went from stock 17s to 19s volks, which weren't that light. i noticed immediate slowdown on accel. braking was relatively ok though. then i got ap racin brakes, of course things got better. later on i got 20s HRE, and they are quite a bit ligher than the old volks, and i noticed both lighter feeling on braking and acceleration.

on the other hand, when i had my 19s volks, i drove a gs4 (same car) with stock brakes and VERY heavy 20s. the acceleration were just plain horrible, and the braking was enormously long (ok, unfair here, we are compairing stock to my ap racing).

but you can get the picture there
Old 08-31-04, 11:47 AM
stock4now
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks you guys for all the responses. I know that 19s and 20s both have the same tire size, but I guess what I'm asking is if there is a big difference in breaking, acceleration, comfort and gas mileage between 19s and 20s for the gs3 owners.
Old 08-31-04, 12:13 PM
jpmotdyn
Pole Position

Here is my old car on 20's. Rezacs. No rubbing at all, even that low. With 19's you have a little more sidewall but not much. They both ride pretty similar.

Last edited by jpmotdyn; 08-31-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 12:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by jpmotdyn
Here is my old car on 20's. Rezacs. No rubbing at all, even that low. With 19's you have a little more sidewall but not much. They both ride pretty similar.

that's only if you get fat setup for the 19s
Old 08-31-04, 12:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by stock4now
Thanks you guys for all the responses. I know that 19s and 20s both have the same tire size, but I guess what I'm asking is if there is a big difference in breaking, acceleration, comfort and gas mileage between 19s and 20s for the gs3 owners.
from my 19s to 20s, i actually get better accel and braking. a lot of time it depends on the weight of the wheels and also the brand of the tires. for example if you get so3, get your butt ready for punishment. some othe tires are a lot softer

Quick Reply: 20 inch rims