Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

The Best Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-01, 01:20 PM
nikogs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Due to a recent run in with potholes and Brooklyn and an moon surface like Belt Pkwy I blew out 3 of my 4 Pirrellis P7000 (which I was very dissatisfied with...they were quiet but wet traction sucked and dry traction didnt get going unless tires were very hot)

So I purchased a set of the Bridgstones re730 which are just as quiet as the Pirellis and thus far all around traction is excellent (Blows away Pirellis)

And not a bad price to boot 160 per tire installed and speed balanced.

So I would reccommend the Bridgestones

NikoGS400
Old 04-15-01, 03:34 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Nanotech.
I've have experience with Yokohamas Avs and Toyo T1-S (the ones on the car now). The AVS was good, quiet and dependable. I got like 10-13k of miles on those tires. Right now Toyo I believe are better than the AVS. Not by much though. Though I ride on 20" rims, I think any tire I buy will have noise but I don't know about smaller diameter wheels. The noise on the Toyo's are a tad bit louder than AVS BUT there is no vibration that I got from the AVS. The handling is great in dry and wet conditions.

NikoGS400, which part of brooklyn are u from?
Old 04-15-01, 05:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

nanotech, your criteria are a bit in conflict, so figuring out the 'best' isn't easy.

Originally posted by nanotech
I want something that make the least noise ... and safety is number one priority. With all the information, which tires would you guys recommend?
Good handling / traction, on CURVES not just straight line acceleration, can greatly increase safety. The quietest tire isn't the safest, unless you NEVER come near the limits of the tire.

Someone mentioned the Nitto 555 Extremes, which I have. They offer great traction, and tire life but although I haven't had other tires of these sizes, I can't imagine they're the quietest. On the other hand, they're reasonably priced I've heard, relative to other tires.

My tire place recommended the Toyos are very smooth riding and quiet - I find this dealer to have a lot of credibility (they do a LOT of high end car work)... so I suggest you check out Toyos.

Everything's a trade-off though.

As far as having snow tires, depends how much snow ya get for one, plus how aggressive a tire you get first. If you get an 'all season' tire, then you might not need snow tires. If I had Nittos, and lived in a snowy area for example, I'd definitely get some snow tires. Complete waste of money here in the south where I am though.

Old 04-15-01, 05:58 PM
nikogs400
Driver School Candidate

Marine Park
Old 04-15-01, 07:56 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are right, there are trade offs, but I am just basically getting an idea of tires from you guys, the quietest, the safest, etc.

where I live we get snow for only about a couple of weeks a year maybe, but roads get iced up and slick during many odd days in the winter, basically from jan to mar. I have never actually had snow tires in the past, but I thought that since my tires are ultra-high performance and basically summer tires, I might not have good traction in winter

just like you said, it depends on whether the tire I choose is all season or not, I would like to stick with a tire that would go through the winter and summer, its much less of a hassle that way, but I don't want to sacrifice handling or comfort for it, I rather have excellent comfort and handling and switch tires in winter than having mediocore comfort without having to switch

I will check out the Toyos too, there are so many too choose from, and each tire dealer tells you something different !

I wish they could let us try the test drive the tires before we buy them to be sure we get the ones we like the best !

Right now I am debating between the following:

Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position
Dunlop SP9000
Yokohama AVS dB
Toyo T1-S
Nitto NT 555 Extreme ZR

any feedback from the owners of those tires would be greatly appreciated !
Old 04-15-01, 09:48 PM
cclp
Driver School Candidate

i will suggest u use P-Zero Rosso
the tire compound is not that soft
but in dry road and wet road it can compare
with s-02 and t-1s
use P-Zero the tire will last long
Old 04-15-01, 10:33 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Default Utra-high performance 4 season tires

I'm currently using Yoko AVS dB. But I have used Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 prior to that. Here's my impression.

AVS dB:
Cheaper
Slightly quieter than XGT Z4
Better wet/dry performance (cornering, steering response, etc)
A bit firmer ride

XGT Z4
Softer ride
Better snow traction

I would get AVS dB again because it is slightly more on the performance side.
Old 04-16-01, 02:16 PM
socalpat
Driver School Candidate

Wink Been there, done that....

Hey there,

I know what you're going through, cause I've been there myself and it's miserable..... I had a post on this very subject on the old board, but it is long gone.

I have a '98 GS 400 w/ the stock 17" rims, which I personally believe are some of the best looking "stock" rims available on any car. My car came with the Bridgestones. Quite frankly, they were hard as rocks and LOUD. After TONS of research, I bought a set of the Michelin Pilot Sports at 13,000 miles. They stuck to the road like glue, and the car road smooth; but again they were LOUD, (and I drove them all the way to Vegas and back -- torture).

Luckily, I have a very good tire guy, who was willing to work with me. I have always been a huge Michelin fan; and he was an ex-Michelin rep. After looking through the bulletin boards, (including Tire Rack), I actually found a few good posts on Edmunds.com w/ similar driving situations as mine; (dry weather, Southern California, want a quiet ride). Two particular posts pointed to the Dunlop SP9000. After working a trade-in deal w/ my tire guy, (he pretty much scored me a deal), I bought the Dunlops.

Bottom line: MUCH quieter, but still a little noise. There is directional treading, which is the "noise" trade-in one often pays for Z rated tires, (more tread "creeps" up the sidewall = more tire on the road when cornering = more road noise). I don't have quite the same "mushy/gummy" feel as the Michelins, but I was glad to trade them in for the quietness. I am now at 23,000 miles on my car, (bought the Dunlops in October), and the sound has seemed to decrease with time, (maybe it's just me). After 10,000 miles on the tires, my treadwear has been negligible.

Overall, I've been very happy with my choice. They look awesome on the car and have proven to have more grip than I've ever needed, (so far!). Also, buy some Meguiars High Gloss Endurance Tire Gell -- really works great at getting the tires "prepped" -- and lasts a long time. My tires always look nice and black and it works very well in conjunction with Amorall in between the Meguiar's applications.

Now, go get some treads, and get on with your life!!!!
Old 04-16-01, 07:30 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Default thanks a lot

Thank you very much for such a helpfull reply, these are the types of replies I have been looking for.

I certainly do have the Dunlops in mind, but the other tires on the list do need some research too (in my opinion). I am not too crazy about the Toyos or the Nittos, probably because I don't know much about them, yet.

My current tires, factory Bridgestones, do get a really good grip of the road, I am impressed (compared to my old maxima and two of my uncle's ls400s). I wonder what the S-03 Pole Positions would be like. I am not really worried about the price, there doesn't seem to be more than around a $50 difference (for each tire) in the different brands anyway.

I would really appreciate any input from gs owners who have had more than one kind of tires, such as socalpat.

I never knew about the Meguiars High Gloss Endurance Tire Gell, I guess I will try it out. I don't really like Armorall anymore, its way too greasy and oily.

I am not in a big rush for these tires, and I want to make sure I get the best ones so I don't mind researching for a couple of weeks or so.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 04-18-01, 04:38 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

An Article from TireRack:

Once your tires will hold you through your favorite on ramp at much more than the posted advisory speed...how much more dry cornering performance do you really need? What about if you could take the off ramp just about as fast...but your tires would provide more wet traction, longer wear, and a smoother, quieter ride? Maybe that's an alternative worth investigating!
When it comes to performance, Dunlop has been a long time participant. Their SP Sport D40 M2, SP Sport 4000 A/S, and SP Sport 8000 ultra high performance tires have pleased driving enthusiasts across the country. In 1997, Dunlop introduced their new SP Sport 9000 tire.

In this test we compared the new SP Sport 9000 to two other 225/50ZR16 sized tires, the very popular Ultra High Performance Dunlop SP Sport 8000 and the quick handling Max Performance Michelin Pilot SX MXX3.

Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - The most immediately recognizable features of the SP Sport 9000 is its distinctive tread design. It has a distinctly directional pattern that is comprised of many relatively narrow "fingers" of varying lengths. In Dunlop's testing this design was shown to spray water to the sides of the tire enhancing hydroplaning resistance and wet traction. The SP Sport 9000 also features a tread compound that has a very high silica content to further enhance wet traction while improving wear and even reducing rolling resistance.

The SP Sport 9000's internal construction features all of the latest technology that enhances ride comfort as well. Single strand beads provide a more uniform fit to the wheel and Jointless Nylon Bands (JLB) enhance high speed capability and tire uniformity while minimizing weight.

On the road the SP Sport 9000 provided excellent ride quality, very low noise levels, and handling that was matched to everyday driving needs. For on the road comfort it came close to providing touring tire traits.

On the track the SP Sport 9000 provided good traction in the dry along with very predictable handling. However while the SP Sport 9000 was tossable, it didn't offer the steering response, precision or dry grip of the other two tires. The SP Sport 9000 required more driver input to negotiate The Tire Rack's test course. We will retest these tires in wet conditions when the weather man provides the moisture!

The SP Sport 9000 is available in about 40 sizes (covering 15" through 20" rim diameters) by year end and is a tire to consider if your priorities are wet traction, comfort on the road, and a little longer than typical wear. We would not recommend the SP Sport 9000 for the driver who uses his vehicle in competition or on the track, unless possibly as a single purpose rain tire.

Dunlop SP Sport 8000 - The SP Sport 8000 has been a very popular ultra high performance tire. Its expansive size range, performance and value has created a loyal following among many drivers.

On the road the SP Sport 8000 wasn't as comfortable as the Dunlop Sp SPORT 9000. Our team noticed that the ride quality was a little harsher and that it generated a bit more noise. Pretty much as we have come to expect from the Ultra High Performance category.

On the track the SP 8000 was more responsive and precise. Driver input was more quickly rewarded with changes in direction or increases in cornering performance.

We have recommended the SP Sport 8000 for drivers who have the need of a dual purpose street and driver's school track tire. While it can't match the lap times of today's DOT-Legal competition tires, it provides a lot of performance and durability.

Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 - Michelin's Max Performance tire is described by Michelin as a racing slick with grooves. It features all of the latest design features including steel reinforced sidewalls for quick steering response and cornering stability, and BAZ (Banded At Zero) nylon belt reinforcement over the steel belts for enhanced high speed and handling capability along with reduced weight and minimized vibration. The Michelin Pilot SX MXX3's stable internal structure and a straight rib tread design help make it one of the Tire Rack's better handling Max Performance tires.

On smooth roads the Pilot SX MXX3 provided excellent real world handling and generated little noise. On rougher roads and at pavement expansion joints, the stiffer internal structure of the tire made the impacts more noticeable.

On the track the Pilot SX came into its element. Very crisp steering response and high levels of cornering and braking grip make the Pilot SX a favorite. While not tested this time, the Pilot SX's wide tread widths and rib type tread design make it more susceptible to high speed, deep water hydroplaning.

The following users liked this post:
shutterhou (05-11-20)
Old 04-18-01, 04:49 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

An Article from TireRack:

Once your tires will hold you through your favorite on ramp at much more than the posted advisory speed...how much more dry cornering performance do you really need? What about if you could take the off ramp just about as fast...but your tires would provide more wet traction, longer wear, and a smoother, quieter ride? Maybe that's an alternative worth investigating!
When it comes to performance, Dunlop has been a long time participant. Their SP Sport D40 M2, SP Sport 4000 A/S, and SP Sport 8000 ultra high performance tires have pleased driving enthusiasts across the country. In 1997, Dunlop introduced their new SP Sport 9000 tire.

In this test we compared the new SP Sport 9000 to two other 225/50ZR16 sized tires, the very popular Ultra High Performance Dunlop SP Sport 8000 and the quick handling Max Performance Michelin Pilot SX MXX3.

Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - The most immediately recognizable features of the SP Sport 9000 is its distinctive tread design. It has a distinctly directional pattern that is comprised of many relatively narrow "fingers" of varying lengths. In Dunlop's testing this design was shown to spray water to the sides of the tire enhancing hydroplaning resistance and wet traction. The SP Sport 9000 also features a tread compound that has a very high silica content to further enhance wet traction while improving wear and even reducing rolling resistance.

The SP Sport 9000's internal construction features all of the latest technology that enhances ride comfort as well. Single strand beads provide a more uniform fit to the wheel and Jointless Nylon Bands (JLB) enhance high speed capability and tire uniformity while minimizing weight.

On the road the SP Sport 9000 provided excellent ride quality, very low noise levels, and handling that was matched to everyday driving needs. For on the road comfort it came close to providing touring tire traits.

On the track the SP Sport 9000 provided good traction in the dry along with very predictable handling. However while the SP Sport 9000 was tossable, it didn't offer the steering response, precision or dry grip of the other two tires. The SP Sport 9000 required more driver input to negotiate The Tire Rack's test course. We will retest these tires in wet conditions when the weather man provides the moisture!

The SP Sport 9000 is available in about 40 sizes (covering 15" through 20" rim diameters) by year end and is a tire to consider if your priorities are wet traction, comfort on the road, and a little longer than typical wear. We would not recommend the SP Sport 9000 for the driver who uses his vehicle in competition or on the track, unless possibly as a single purpose rain tire.

Dunlop SP Sport 8000 - The SP Sport 8000 has been a very popular ultra high performance tire. Its expansive size range, performance and value has created a loyal following among many drivers.

On the road the SP Sport 8000 wasn't as comfortable as the Dunlop Sp SPORT 9000. Our team noticed that the ride quality was a little harsher and that it generated a bit more noise. Pretty much as we have come to expect from the Ultra High Performance category.

On the track the SP 8000 was more responsive and precise. Driver input was more quickly rewarded with changes in direction or increases in cornering performance.

We have recommended the SP Sport 8000 for drivers who have the need of a dual purpose street and driver's school track tire. While it can't match the lap times of today's DOT-Legal competition tires, it provides a lot of performance and durability.

Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 - Michelin's Max Performance tire is described by Michelin as a racing slick with grooves. It features all of the latest design features including steel reinforced sidewalls for quick steering response and cornering stability, and BAZ (Banded At Zero) nylon belt reinforcement over the steel belts for enhanced high speed and handling capability along with reduced weight and minimized vibration. The Michelin Pilot SX MXX3's stable internal structure and a straight rib tread design help make it one of the Tire Rack's better handling Max Performance tires.

On smooth roads the Pilot SX MXX3 provided excellent real world handling and generated little noise. On rougher roads and at pavement expansion joints, the stiffer internal structure of the tire made the impacts more noticeable.

On the track the Pilot SX came into its element. Very crisp steering response and high levels of cornering and braking grip make the Pilot SX a favorite. While not tested this time, the Pilot SX's wide tread widths and rib type tread design make it more susceptible to high speed, deep water hydroplaning.

Old 04-18-01, 07:38 AM
WhisperJet

I have a '99 GS400 that came with the 16" Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires. Living in PA where we occaisionally get snow requires either swapping tires by season or going with an all season compromise.

I have replaced the Goodyears with BF Goodrich g-Force KDWS and am very happy with the change. The tires have better lateral grip, braking, and are extremely superior in the wet, especially wet weather braking. They are also much more predictable at the limit, and recover more easily. For example, the TCS rarely comes on with these tires, where with the Goodyears it would come on very frequently.

If you don't need snow traction, than the g-Force KDW version would be a good choice. By the way, the TireRack lists the KDWS as an Ultra-high performance tire.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-01, 01:59 AM
TOPSPEED
Rookie

Nanotech,
Based on the review on tirerack.com, The Firestone Firehawk SZ 50EP is the best in the group. And the Yokohama AVS dB is the best all season tire and being the quietest by user review.
Hope this will help.
Old 04-19-01, 06:31 AM
swerve
Rookie

Default Quiet Tires

The TireRack told me that the quietest 17" for the GS400/430 is the Bridgestone Turanza. They also will provide the longest wear. I also am looking for quiet as a priority but I sure don't want a bumpy ride either.
Has anyone used these?
Old 04-19-01, 12:18 PM
lydon
Driver School Candidate

Talking tires

I had the stock rim and tire, 17' crome with noisy bridgestones, things wouldn't keep air preasure. Upgraded to 19' volk racing (AV3,s) with Michelin pilot Sports. Night and day handling difference, also alot less road noise, In the winter i run Yokahama Profus, the best winter tire iv'e ever had

Quick Reply: The Best Tires