Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

widened fender and wheel offset question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-04, 10:50 AM
TNH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default widened fender and wheel offset question

I am putting fenders on my supra that are one inch wider than stock on each side. I am having I-forged wheels made for the car, and I want as much lip as I can get on the fonts. With room for one more inch in the font, do I just keep the same offset as my current set of wheels but one inch wider to get a bigger lip?
Old 10-07-04, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if my math is right, you will be decreasing the offset by 12

for example i have 10 +43 in the back right now. if i add 1" of lip on the outside (everything else stays the same), the offset should become 31. i hope i am right, just doing it from the brain.
Old 10-07-04, 08:44 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rominl
if my math is right, you will be decreasing the offset by 12

for example i have 10 +43 in the back right now. if i add 1" of lip on the outside (everything else stays the same), the offset should become 31. i hope i am right, just doing it from the brain.
Wrong, if he follows what you are saying, what he will end up with is the same sized lip but his wheels will be pushed out away from the car by 12mm. That would be fine if he wants the same sized lip but a wider wheel base, but he's looking to maximize his lip size.

What he should do is go up a width (in your example, he should move up to 11) but keep the same offset, then he would gain another inch in lip.

That's what I should have done in the first place. Go with 19x11 but with +49 or +50 offset, I would have stayed flush to the fender like I am now, but gained another inch in lip. Oh well, you live and learn.
Old 10-08-04, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Wrong, if he follows what you are saying, what he will end up with is the same sized lip but his wheels will be pushed out away from the car by 12mm. That would be fine if he wants the same sized lip but a wider wheel base, but he's looking to maximize his lip size.

What he should do is go up a width (in your example, he should move up to 11) but keep the same offset, then he would gain another inch in lip.

That's what I should have done in the first place. Go with 19x11 but with +49 or +50 offset, I would have stayed flush to the fender like I am now, but gained another inch in lip. Oh well, you live and learn.
go back to your math class bro take out a piece of paper and draw some diagrams, i think that would help

i will use my example as illustration. if i am wrong, please correct me

i have 10" +43 in the back, with 3" lip

if i want to just take out the outter rim and put on a 4" lip making the wheel a 11" (assume i have fender flares and no rub), then the new offset of my wheel is 43-12 = 31

if i still wanna stay with 10 but make it a 4" lip instead of current 3", i will need to change BOTH the outer and inner wheel, and the new offset would be 43 - 25 = 18

if like you said i move to 4" lip outside but same offset, first of all i need to change both center and the outter lip, and physically the wheel will ONLY be 12mm (1/2" more outward) compared to the old 10" setup i have now. to maintain the same offset, only way is to add width on both sides of the wheel. assume you can make the spokes design as flat as you can, you can have 4" lip in the back, but physically the wheel is only 1/2" more outward, which makes it 1/2" off from the fender flare. not what he wants

eidt: btw, i wanna make sure this is not a pissing contest, that's not my intention at all. just wanna put out my theory and see if it's correct!

Last edited by rominl; 10-08-04 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-08-04, 12:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you have 10 +24 now. if you went with 11 +49, your wheel will sit 1/2" more inward than what you are at now. i don't know what the heck you are talking about dude

and for the record, i don't think people should associate lip size directly with the offset, it's kinda misleading coz' it's different from rims to rims, depending on the spoke design. in your case jon, if you want more lip (say 1") than what you have now, what you need is NOT offset...... what you need is that the company actually make the spoke design curve even more inward for the lip size. at size 10" width, you can't decrease your offset anymore

live and learn
Old 10-08-04, 12:22 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Henry is right. I stand corrected. I forgot that the center also moved with the extra width. The 25.4mm extra width you will be gaining have to be divided by 2 because of the center, which gives you 12.7mm which Henry already said from his first post.

I do live and learn everyday hehehe. Good one, Henry.
Old 10-08-04, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Henry is right. I stand corrected. I forgot that the center also moved with the extra width. The 25.4mm extra width you will be gaining have to be divided by 2 because of the center, which gives you 12.7mm which Henry already said from his first post.

I do live and learn everyday hehehe. Good one, Henry.
hey no problem jon, i wasn't very sure when i typed my reply too, that's why i want people to verify that for me as well. it's getting very messy when you have so much info throwing around on a piece of paper!

and for god's sake, who the hell "invented" the term offset anyway?!
Old 10-09-04, 04:37 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
hey no problem jon, i wasn't very sure when i typed my reply too, that's why i want people to verify that for me as well. it's getting very messy when you have so much info throwing around on a piece of paper!

and for god's sake, who the hell "invented" the term offset anyway?!
just reading your posts r makin me dizzy....damm offsets.....it seems like its more confusing than linear algebra
Old 10-11-04, 12:30 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Sleepyboi
just reading your posts r makin me dizzy....damm offsets.....it seems like its more confusing than linear algebra
LOL, rom and I talked over it on MSN. I should have saved the conversation, it really sounded like a coupld of old math professors talking about an unsolvable math mystery....
Old 10-11-04, 01:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Sleepyboi
oh yeah tell me about it man. it's definitely not linear, hahaa...... trust me it takes quite a bit of time and errors to get it right. the good thing is once you get a hang of it you can get a good ballpark to begin with already, and just need to fine tune everything