Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Wheel Offset

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-04, 03:06 PM
Rexdr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Offset

Just found some 19" wheels for sale 8.5 front - 9.5 rear with +30 offset in front and +31 offset in the rear. The owner says that these wheels should fit most Lexus cars. I've been searching through the forum and can't anyone with those size wheels with those offsets. I'm not too versed when it comes to how offsets work other than it's a measurement from the centerline of the wheel. Will these work? I apologize if there is a thread on this already. I just haven't found one that specifically answers my questions. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-26-04, 03:14 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Offset

Originally posted by Rexdr
Just found some 19" wheels for sale 8.5 front - 9.5 rear with +30 offset in front and +31 offset in the rear. The owner says that these wheels should fit most Lexus cars. I've been searching through the forum and can't anyone with those size wheels with those offsets. I'm not too versed when it comes to how offsets work other than it's a measurement from the centerline of the wheel. Will these work? I apologize if there is a thread on this already. I just haven't found one that specifically answers my questions. Thanks in advance guys.
someone told me that 29 -30 in the front is really crazy

would have to roll the fenders and do this and that

and for the rear same thing

Rominl knows his ***** when it comes to this stuff
Old 10-26-04, 03:27 PM
Rexdr
Pole Position

Thanks bro. I'll wait to see if Rominl replies.
Old 10-26-04, 05:28 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On an 8.5 inch wide wheel the front will for sure hit. I have a 35mm offset and it right to the edge, almost have to do some mods, but really the perfect offset. Not sure about the rear, but the front will not work without a lot of modification.
Old 10-26-04, 09:20 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will have to do some fender mods for both front and rear. I am not sure how tight it will be in front and if rolling and tucking the fender tab would be enough. You will definitely need to shave the rear for that wheel to fit.

It will also depend a little bit on your drop but even without a drop, when you hit bad bumps and uneven roads where the suspension compresses, you'll rub.
Old 10-26-04, 09:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

8.5 +30 in the front you are asking for it, you will rub bad, even if you don't lower the car much. the wheels will really stick out. you can put negative camber more to make the wheels go inside, but the tire wear will be horrible. i have 8.5 +32 and i rubbed pretty bad (i lowered my car quite a bit and my wheels are 20s), i had to mod the fender quite a bit to fix the problem. if you go 30, it's even worse

for the rear, it's still a bad idea.... you will need to shave off the whole fender tab just to clear the wheels. otherwise you will rub bad in the back and it will scratch the tires bad

bottom line, if you are willing to mod your fenders, they might work. but imho they are too agressive and not fo everyone to deal with

and whatever that owner says... i don't know....... if anything the LS is the ONLY lexus that can take those wheels
Old 10-26-04, 09:31 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by rominl
i have 8.5 +32 and i rubbed pretty bad (i lowered my car quite a bit and my wheels are 20s), i had to mod the fender quite a bit to fix the problem. if you go 30, it's even worse

for the rear, it's still a bad idea.... you will need to shave off the whole fender tab just to clear the wheels. otherwise you will rub bad in the back and it will scratch the tires bad

bottom line, if you are willing to mod your fenders, they might work. but imho they are too agressive and not fo everyone to deal with
How much did you have to mod the front? I could not remember.

As for the rear, like you said, if he is willing to shave the whole tab, then he should be OK. These rears are only a mm or two away from my rear set up.
Old 10-27-04, 07:33 AM
Rexdr
Pole Position

Thanks guys. So what is a good range for the offsets for 19's 8.5 front 9.5 rear where you don't have to do any fender mods. Oh, and I do plan on lowering the car. I'm not going to tuck the wheels, but anywhere from no gap to about 2 fingers (1 inch) gap will be fine with me.
Old 10-27-04, 11:07 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by Rexdr
Thanks guys. So what is a good range for the offsets for 19's 8.5 front 9.5 rear where you don't have to do any fender mods. Oh, and I do plan on lowering the car. I'm not going to tuck the wheels, but anywhere from no gap to about 2 fingers (1 inch) gap will be fine with me.
Read this for some options:

LGW Wheel Article
Old 10-27-04, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
Read this for some options:

LGW Wheel Article
nuff said
Old 09-06-06, 07:52 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLW
someone told me that 29 -30 in the front is really crazy

would have to roll the fenders and do this and that

and for the rear same thing

Rominl knows his ***** when it comes to this stuff

Crazy what happens in 2 years
Old 09-06-06, 09:38 PM
Rdubz
Pole Position

That is some funny stuff. I read through all of the posts going what? until I

got to the last post and realized I needed to look at the post dates. What

seemed impossible back then is now becoming more and more popular as time

goes on.
Old 09-06-06, 10:36 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by Rdubz
That is some funny stuff. I read through all of the posts going what? until I

got to the last post and realized I needed to look at the post dates. What

seemed impossible back then is now becoming more and more popular as time

goes on.
I wonder why it was impossible back then? It wasn't such a big deal to me when I got my first set of wheels 5 years ago with the same size and offsets posted above.

And I haven't even discovered CL yet

Traffic Star DTS
18x8.5 +31
18x9.5 +31
Old 09-07-06, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
I wonder why it was impossible back then? It wasn't such a big deal to me when I got my first set of wheels 5 years ago with the same size and offsets posted above.

And I haven't even discovered CL yet

Traffic Star DTS
18x8.5 +31
18x9.5 +31
coz' it's still impossible now, at least to me. i don't know about others, there could be some specific tire or camber setup, but one thing for sure is my 20x8.5 +32 rubbed bad in the front. my 20x10.5 +41 rubbed in the back without shaving fenders.

i agree nothing is impossible, but one has to be specific about what exactly has to be done to get it fit. fenders, to what degree, tires, what brand, size, camber, what settings. i am sure if one is crazy enough they can get anything to fit. but one shouldn't just go on and say "no problem this will fit" without putting in specifics, that's misleading at best and for any "newbie" who is looking for advice could get into very expensive "mistake" later on

that's just me, but one thing i know for sure is what i say "will work" will work for everyone for sure, and anything beyond (including myself) i have seen more than few cases of trouble.

in fact, to avoid anymore confusion, i don't really want to get more pms from people asking me "why you said this and this doesn't fit but some other people say they will", it's probably best for me not to suggest setups for people anymore. bottom line is, you can get anything to fit
Old 09-07-06, 11:06 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree nothing is impossible, but one has to be specific about what exactly has to be done to get it fit. fenders, to what degree, tires, what brand, size, camber, what settings. i am sure if one is crazy enough they can get anything to fit. but one shouldn't just go on and say "no problem this will fit" without putting in specifics, that's misleading at best and for any "newbie" who is looking for advice could get into very expensive "mistake" later on

that's just me, but one thing i know for sure is what i say "will work" will work for everyone for sure, and anything beyond (including myself) i have seen more than few cases of trouble.

in fact, to avoid anymore confusion, i don't really want to get more pms from people asking me "why you said this and this doesn't fit but some other people say they will", it's probably best for me not to suggest setups for people anymore. bottom line is, you can get anything to fit

Henry I can totally understand your position and I do not fault you for no longer giving advice on wheel offsets and specs. To be totally honest many people take offsense when we do not give them recommended offsets and specs and tires sizes all the time. But as I'm sure you have experienced, you never know who you are dealing with and a newb can really make your life tough because they didnt ask the right question, or fully understand what they were doing.

Either way your the bad guy so the simplest thing to do is like you said, just dont make recommendations on something you have nothing to do with.

Things used to be different back in the "recommended sizing guide" days, but oh well, everything changes right?

Quick Reply: Wheel Offset