Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Why Tire Rack doesn't carry Falken tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 12:58 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Shyne
i always put falken in the same boat as kumho, cheap tires in my own opinion...ive never heard anything bad about falken, but the price of them steers me away along with websites who sell them...these sites will not give you a government rating on treadwear, traction, temperature...these are key to selling tires and every site ive seen doesn't put them up...i would try them but i think ill stick to toyo for piece of mind because they seriously kick ***...Shyne
The Falken website tells you how long the tires are good for (the 512's 55 series & lower are good for 30,000miles with a 360 treadwear rating.......60 & 65 series are good for 60,000 miles....same as the Toyo Proxes TPT! with a 420 treadwear rating, actually higher than Toyo!). plus they both have a Traction & Temperature rating of A. So your basicly saying that consumer reports gave a "cheap tire" the number 1 rating overall in a test of about 20 all season performance tires, including Toyo? Consumer Reports basis their evaluation on much more than price alone! Check out www.falkentire for yourself. They are a Japanese tire like Toyo to boot! Kumho's are not Japanese.
Old 11-29-04, 07:46 PM
Shyne
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for my preference, i only use ultra high performance tires...that is AA traction tires...if falken offered AA traction tires, i still wouldn't buy them...its just my preference, they are too cheap...Shyne
Old 12-01-04, 02:31 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Originally posted by Shyne
for my preference, i only use ultra high performance tires...that is AA traction tires...if falken offered AA traction tires, i still wouldn't buy them...its just my preference, they are too cheap...Shyne
To each their own I guess.......Ultra High performance (summer OR all season) tires will not have the longevity as performance all seasons so they will have to be replaced much quicker as a general rule. It's too bad to don't have a high regard for Falken's........the fact that they came in first overall in a test of roughly 20 all season performance tires didn't get your attention then I doubt anything would have anyways. For the record, Falken's are made by the Japanese tire maker Sumitomo.....which are on a totally different playing field than Kumho's.
Old 12-01-04, 10:12 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
To each their own I guess.......Ultra High performance (summer OR all season) tires will not have the longevity as performance all seasons so they will have to be replaced much quicker as a general rule. It's too bad to don't have a high regard for Falken's........the fact that they came in first overall in a test of roughly 20 all season performance tires didn't get your attention then I doubt anything would have anyways. For the record, Falken's are made by the Japanese tire maker Sumitomo.....which are on a totally different playing field than Kumho's.
Now that I didnt know about Falkens, the manufacturer that is, I currently swear by Sumitomon tires on my 17's. They cost about 100.00 each and perform as well as the Pole Position S02's and last at least twice as long.
Old 12-01-04, 02:14 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Alot of people don't know that about Falken and think
they are some cheap tire company....
I just put my stockers with michelins on them
and miss my rims with Falken azenis st115..
those tires suck up road noise and bumps like
nobody's business...

I will always buy Falken from now on..... well until they get
to popular and start charging too much....lol
Old 12-01-04, 10:36 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Originally posted by blktiger12
Alot of people don't know that about Falken and think
they are some cheap tire company....
I just put my stockers with michelins on them
and miss my rims with Falken azenis st115..
those tires suck up road noise and bumps like
nobody's business...

I will always buy Falken from now on..... well until they get
to popular and start charging too much....lol
It's a shame that people overlook things that are so important like tires because they don't recognize the name right off the bat & dismiss them as a cheap 'discount' tire. When in fact, because the company does not spend 10's of millions of dollars on advertising to promote them......us regular folk can afford a top quality tire instead of paying too much for a tire not because of the quality, but because the company has such a high expense to advertise their product, they have to get their money back somehow right? Meanwhile one can brag that they paid 3 times as much for a tire that's only half as good.....dosen't make sense to me. If you spend more money on a tire does NOT mean you got a better tire at all.....far from it.
Old 12-02-04, 04:42 AM
Shyne
Driver

if you spend more money on a AA traction tire that provides better traction than a A traction tire, you are getting a better tire indeed...you are comparing apples to oranges if you are saying that just because a tire is cheaper and has A traction that it beats out every tire in the ultra high performance category just because you don't know the real facts...everybody is not going to buy that tire just because a magazine testing tires says they are the best in a certain category and you for some reason think they are the best in the world...the difference is you can clown on the AA traction tires because of the added control/grip in rain and dry pavement...you can't tell me that any falken tire will compare to a michelin pilot sport based on braking and dry/wet traction, i won't believe it...falken even stole michelin's tread design which is not too great for their company report either...no one in this thread has even confirmed if they make a AA traction tire...so until then, please don't say that you think its dumb for people to spend more on a tire because you are cheap...i would rather be safe than sorry in the lex, im sorry...Shyne
Old 12-02-04, 05:12 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_451.htm

"" Exotic Looks, Style and Performance

Ultra-low profile

Rim protector ridge guards against rim damage

AA traction rating is the highest available and represents the tire's superior ability to stop on wet pavement.""
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Shyne...the above is from Falkens website...AA traction... so i guess you'll give them a try now...lol

They make 2 line of tires in both the luxury sport line up and the sports car line up that are AA rated if that is the key spec. for your decision making process. I honestly think AA requirement is overkill for my daily driving needs but if you require it, they have that too. Give em a shot.. u may like them..

Last edited by silversprucesc3; 12-02-04 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-07-04, 06:45 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Still no response from tirerack members about the Toyo / Falken issue! I guess silence is deafening.
Old 12-07-04, 07:35 AM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

isnt most or all z rated tires are AA anyway ? anyway, www.tires.com is the place to get good deals on tires. i got nittos 555 245/35/20 for under $200
Old 12-07-04, 08:33 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

So what if Consumer Report rated it the #1 tire among 20.

Since when did auto enthusiast go on CR's recommendation? In the past, when they did car comparos, I remember them picking a crappy car (IMO) over a good quality car. I don't remember what car it was, but I definitely didn't agree with their decision, and I'm sure most CL members won't either.

I mean, come one......do you want to go on an important/safety decision from someone who ALSO rates dishwashers, fertilizers, washing machines, CD players, knives, forks & diapers as well?

I would feel more comfortable with an opinion from a professional on decisions like this......someone that has a great knowledge of the industry.

I always take CR reports with a grain of salt. I'm sure it's great for the average Joe, but hey, for auto enthusiasts, we expect more from the products we want than your aveage Joe.

However, for a dishwasher, I'll go with CR's recommendation.....even their "jack of all trades" knowledge is much better than mine. However, I'm sure Martha Steward would NOT rely on CR's recommendations on a dishwasher. My point is.....for every type of enthusiasts out there, there's always a better resource than CR. I think CR is great. You can get recommendations on almost anything from a single source. But our expectations are higher.

Enough ranting, let's get back on topic. I also read good things about Falkens. And my next set of tires will be Falkens.
Old 12-07-04, 02:07 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally posted by Cadd
So what if Consumer Report rated it the #1 tire among 20.

Since when did auto enthusiast go on CR's recommendation? In the past, when they did car comparos, I remember them picking a crappy car (IMO) over a good quality car. I don't remember what car it was, but I definitely didn't agree with their decision, and I'm sure most CL members won't either.

I mean, come one......do you want to go on an important/safety decision from someone who ALSO rates dishwashers, fertilizers, washing machines, CD players, knives, forks & diapers as well?

I would feel more comfortable with an opinion from a professional on decisions like this......someone that has a great knowledge of the industry.

I always take CR reports with a grain of salt. I'm sure it's great for the average Joe, but hey, for auto enthusiasts, we expect more from the products we want than your aveage Joe.

However, for a dishwasher, I'll go with CR's recommendation.....even their "jack of all trades" knowledge is much better than mine. However, I'm sure Martha Steward would NOT rely on CR's recommendations on a dishwasher. My point is.....for every type of enthusiasts out there, there's always a better resource than CR. I think CR is great. You can get recommendations on almost anything from a single source. But our expectations are higher.

Enough ranting, let's get back on topic. I also read good things about Falkens. And my next set of tires will be Falkens.
Many folks on here just want a great set of tires to get them from A to B safely for the best possible VALUE for their money Toyo & Falken provide that value in spades .....the wheels & tire forums isn't just for enthusiasts.......& I rest my case with your end line of your next set of tires will be Falken's

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 12-07-04 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 01:03 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input and suggestions all. I have answered this questions 3 or 4 times on this board though, most recently here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=141376

What can I say? We try and carry as many brands and offer as much of a selection as possible. Right now the owners of our company feel that our line up is sufficient. Who knows, in the future that may change.
Old 12-08-04, 02:09 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Thanks for your feedback Brandon......I have a suggestion, drop Bridgestone (except for their winter tires) & Firestone (they just increased their prices!!) lol & switch to Toyo & Falken's. Keep us posted & thanks again for answering our inquiries. Sorry for mentioning it so often But I will not relent mind you. How are the Goodyear Triple Tread's selling? I've heard very good things about them actually.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 12-08-04 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-07-05, 02:41 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Falken Tires

Lexusfreak,

I am sort of 'torn' trying to decide between Toyo Proxes and Falken Ze512.
The tires that came on my wife's 2003 ES300 are 225/60R-16 94V and the chart shows the Falken Ze512 to be 225/60R-16 98V B.
What is the difference in the 94V and a 98V B? I don't understand all I know about reading tires.

Thanks,
GCrim21

Quick Reply: Why Tire Rack doesn't carry Falken tires?