Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Why Tire Rack doesn't carry Falken tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 09:26 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by gcrim21
Lexusfreak,

I am sort of 'torn' trying to decide between Toyo Proxes and Falken Ze512.
The tires that came on my wife's 2003 ES300 are 225/60R-16 94V and the chart shows the Falken Ze512 to be 225/60R-16 98V B.
What is the difference in the 94V and a 98V B? I don't understand all I know about reading tires.

Thanks,
GCrim21
GC,

The V is the same, which is a V speed rated tire (good for speeds up to 149 MPH or 240 KPH). The 94 & 98 numbers you refer to is the 'load index'. The higher the number, the greater it's load carrying capacity is. 94 is good for 1477 lbs & 98 is good for 1653 lbs.....it means the grand total of passengers & cargo can not exceed these limits. Most folks never even come close to these totals.....as I doubt one can get 1653 lbs of stuff in an ES. As for the speed rating, I'd go with either an 'H' (130 MPH) or the V speed rating & you will be fine.

Both tires I have mentioned you will be happy with.......I would buy the Toyo's again for my ES. The only slight disappointment I have is the ice traction (snow traction is excellent, but ice is not so good). I have driven my wife's car with her Falken's........the snow & ice traction are fantastic for an all season performance tire. Both are close as far as overall ride comfort is concerned......with maybe a slight edge to the Toyo's. You won't go wrong with either choice. Shop & compare prices........keep me posted. Don't forget to get a 4 wheel alignment when you install the tires.....very important.
Old 01-09-05, 09:25 AM
Jput
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,

If you'd like to become a sponsoring vendor on ClubLexus, please send an email to advertising@clublexus.com for more information. In the interim, please do not make offers to our members in the forums, via PM or in your signature.

Thanks

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-09-05 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-09-05, 12:05 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Jput
Jason,

If you'd like to become a sponsoring vendor on ClubLexus, please send an email to advertising@clublexus.com for more information. In the interim, please do not make offers to our members in the forums, via PM or in your signature.

Thanks
Jput, I can't find the post you refer to (I assume it was a PM)? Please 'quote' the thread you mention in the future.
Old 01-09-05, 12:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Jput, I can't find the post you refer to (I assume it was a PM)? Please 'quote' the thread you mention in the future.
Jason's text was edited.
Old 01-09-05, 04:29 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Jason's text was edited.
Gotcha, thanks Dave.
Old 01-31-05, 06:15 PM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Those Falkens are great all-season tires

I have first hand experience with the Falken ZE512 tires on my ES that Consumer Reports wrote about in their tire review article and they are absolutely correct in rating them the best all-seasons performance tires. I never knew or heard of Falken until CR wrote about them.

The original all-seasons tires that came with my ES were Toyos. After one winter and numerous tire spinning at stop lights in wet condition and virtually no traction in snow, I got rid of them for a set of Goodyears. They were a tad better than the Toyo but still not much traction in snowy condition (yes, I know I should really get snow tires instead). The Goodyears lasted about 2.5 years. I then tried a set of Michelins because everyone said they were the "best". They were the most expensive tires I ever paid and I have to say I was disappointed with their mediocre performance. They were better than the previous two brands but I guess I expected a lot more from Michelins particularly for the high price I paid. I associated high price for high performance (improved traction for wet and dry) and I was wrong. They lasted 3 years and I switched to Comp TAs. That was a big mistake on my part since those things rode like truck tires nor did they give any better traction in rain or snow.

When the CR article came out in late 2003, I was ready to get rid of the Comp TAs and try just about anything. I figured I had nothing to lose to try these Falkens particularly when they were only about $50 a piece from www.tires.com (vs the $140 or so I paid for each of those Michelin tires). I got a set of 4 late last Feb and my 1-yr experience with them convinced me that they are the best all around all-seasons tires I have ever had. They are quiet, soft and yet controlled and best of all super traction in dry or wet including snowy conditions. Will they replace snow tires? Absolutely not. If you have lots of snow in your area, you'll still need snow tires.

Because of my very positive experience with these Falken tires, my cousins in Chicago who drive BMWs and Mercedes all have switched to the Falken ZE512s based on my recommendations and they couldn't be happier. One bought the tires from Tires.com and the other got them from Sears. Hopefully my experience with Falken is of use to some of you who are contemplating getting a new set of tires. They are really good tires!
Old 01-31-05, 11:26 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah... I love Falkens myslef... I am buying another set for my TT rims and taking off my goodyears (rear) and Conti;s (front)...
People who don't know can't realize how good and affordable these tires are..
Old 02-02-05, 11:03 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

You can't go wrong with the Falkens.....I'd buy them in a heartbest for my ES......those & the new Goodyear Triple Treads too!
Old 02-03-05, 10:13 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

onlinetires.com is where I bought my Toyos, they had the best prices I could find and their service was outstanding. They also carry Falken.
Old 02-03-05, 11:44 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
onlinetires.com is where I bought my Toyos, they had the best prices I could find and their service was outstanding. They also carry Falken.
Thanks for sharing SCR......good website you mentioned. www.onlinetires.com