Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Which of these tires would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 03:37 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for about 40,000 miles now. They are incredible tires, with a 400 treadwear rating, but with a few drawbacks. On the positive side, the sidewalls are stiffer than most summer-only tires and that makes for quick, snappy, accurate lane changes with no overshoot. I actually had to get used to driving the car again when I first got them. The tire has very predictable, accurate handling like a good summer tire. They go in rain like no other tire, my car doesn't even budge going thru deep puddles at speed. Good in snow until they start to wear, then can't be trusted anymore (I run Pirelli winter tires anyway). On the negative side, the ride is harder due to the stiffer sidewalls. They also have a tendency to wear out prematurely along the center rib of the tire (check out reviews on Tire Rack if you don't believe this) - I thought it was my inflation pressure until I read the reviews. They wear that way because Michelin has the softest compound in the center of the tire. It gets to the point where you have a lot of meat left on the outer tire, but the center is marginal for inspection. (I hope Michelin does something about this....) They are one of the most expensive tires on the market, and would definitely be worth it if it were not for the premature wear. Still the best tire I ever owned though.
Old 01-12-05, 04:50 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I've had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for about 40,000 miles now. They are incredible tires, with a 400 treadwear rating, but with a few drawbacks. On the positive side, the sidewalls are stiffer than most summer-only tires and that makes for quick, snappy, accurate lane changes with no overshoot. I actually had to get used to driving the car again when I first got them. The tire has very predictable, accurate handling like a good summer tire. They go in rain like no other tire, my car doesn't even budge going thru deep puddles at speed. Good in snow until they start to wear, then can't be trusted anymore (I run Pirelli winter tires anyway). On the negative side, the ride is harder due to the stiffer sidewalls. They also have a tendency to wear out prematurely along the center rib of the tire (check out reviews on Tire Rack if you don't believe this) - I thought it was my inflation pressure until I read the reviews. They wear that way because Michelin has the softest compound in the center of the tire. It gets to the point where you have a lot of meat left on the outer tire, but the center is marginal for inspection. (I hope Michelin does something about this....) They are one of the most expensive tires on the market, and would definitely be worth it if it were not for the premature wear. Still the best tire I ever owned though.
Wow. 40,000 miles? That's pretty darn good for that tire. I have about 23,000 on mine (my winter set is on right now), and I'm hoping I can stretch them to 30,000. Are you planning to replace them soon?
Old 01-12-05, 05:30 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would vote for the michelins...
Old 01-13-05, 06:55 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Question

Grant,

Did you choose a tire at all yet?