Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires - I want Quiet, Quiet, Quiet !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-01, 11:21 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done a lot of research on tires for a GS with the stock 17" chromes (because that's what I have).

What do you value more, handling or quietness?

If handling, I would say, definitely the Bridgestone S-03 pole position, but they are noisey.

If quietness, then I would say Yokohama AVS dB, they don't handle as well as the Bridgestones though.

And if you want something in between, I would say, Dunlop SP9000.

The Nitto, Toyo, Michelin and all others have one problem or anything, either too noisey or not good enough handling for a GS, etc.
Old 06-30-01, 11:25 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

RealMarty:

I had posted a while back on this thread that:

"the quietest are the best handling-wise"

what I mean to say is:

the quietest are NOT the best handling-wise...you are right, they are opposite trade-offs.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-30-01, 09:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally posted by nanotech
If handling, I would say, definitely the Bridgestone S-03 pole position, but they are noisey.

If quietness, then I would say Yokohama AVS dB, they don't handle as well as the Bridgestones though.

And if you want something in between, I would say, Dunlop SP9000.

The Nitto, Toyo, Michelin and all others have one problem or anything, either too noisey or not good enough handling for a GS, etc.
How do you know this? I don't believe you've driven a GS with all these different tires.

Also, what 'problem' does the Toyo have?
Old 07-01-01, 10:32 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Comparing Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama, and Dunlop on TireRack, here is what I found:

Noise Comfort

1. Yokohama AVS dB - 9.5
2. Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position - 9.0
3. Michelin & Dunlop are in the 7.0 range.

Ride Comfort

1. Yokohama AVS dB - 9.0
2. Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position - 8.9
3. Michelin & Dunlop are in the 7.0 range.

Handling

1. Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position - 9.4
2. Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 - 8.4
3. Yokohama AVS dB - 8.3
4. Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - 8.0

Dry Traction

1. Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position - 9.6
2. Yokohama AVS dB - 8.8
3. Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 - 8.6
4. Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - 8.4

Wet Traction

1. Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position - 9.4
2. Yokohama AVS dB - 8.4
3. Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - 8.3
4. Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 - 7.8

Now, all that data is from customer surveys. From this data, you can tell that the Yoko's have the best in ride comfort and quietness and that the S-03's have the best in handling and traction and are pretty close to the Yoko's in quietness and comfort as well. The Dunlop and Michelin sort of tied I guess, although from what I have heard about the Dunlops here from Club Lexus, they say they are pretty good, plus they are a little bit less noisey than the Michelins.

TireRack.com also conducted a Real World Road Ride Test (in order of highest road rating):

Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position Ratings -

Ride Comfort 7.17
Noise Comfort 7.23
Handling 8.02
Road Rating 7.47

Dunlop SP 9000 -

Ride Comfort 7.73
Noise Comfort 7.36
Handling 6.89
Road Rating 7.33

Yokohama AVS dB -

Ride Comfort 7.18
Noise Comfort 7.50
Handling 6.95
Road Rating 7.21

Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 -

Ride Comfort 7.25
Noise Comfort 6.92
Handling 7.33
Road Rating 7.17

All the above ratings are based on a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being the best and 0 being the worst.

Following is some feedback from tire owners:

For the Yokohama AVS dB -

1998 Lexus GS400 - San Diego, CA
Very underrated tire. Much quieter and smoother than RE730 with only marginally lower performance. Fun to drive but still comfortable on long trips.

1996 Lexus GS300 - Tupelo, MS
These tires are really, really good tires. If you are a discriminating buyer, these tires are for you!! I HAD to have a safe tire (2 young children) and these tires def. met that criteria. I wanted a better handling tire; the Eagle GA that are OEM are not good tires and can't hold a candle to the Yokos. I take them out in the twisties alot and they don't scream and yell like a stuck, banshee pig. Criteria number three, they had to be quiet, or at least more hush than the loud-mouthed Goodyears the car was shod w/in '96. Boy, are they quiet. Now, the only noise is the wind rushing past the outside mirrors. Gas mileage is about the same! Imagine that, not getting penalized w/perfomance tires. These tires does everything good to great. Buy 'em and you won't be sorry.

For the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 -

Lexus LS400 '93 - Edmond, OK
These tires are the best all around tire I've had on my Lexus. It is a heavy car and caused other tires to roll under and squeal. These Michelin Pilot XGTZ4's never gave me any surprises. They were fairly good in light snow when new. They were fair to poor at half life and less in snow. I loved the predictability of this tire in a hard decending radius turn. I've had quieter tires but these weren't really very noisy. I've hit the wear markers at about 43,000 miles. Most of this driving has been a combination of 50/50 agressive/high speed cruise. I really didn't expect them to last this long doing the long high speed sweepers in a heavy car nearing the limits of traction. They sure proved me wrong!

For the Dunlops, I couldn't find a feedback from a Lexus owner, and I couldn't find any feedback at all on the S-03's because they are so new, but I found some feedback for the S-02's, from which the S-03's are derived:

1999 Lexus GS400 - Round Rock, TX
After extensive research in replacing my OEM tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE 030), I selected the Potenza S-02 Pole Position based upon maximum performance, exceptional handling in dry conditions, and a two fold increase in wet traction responsiveness. After receiving the tires and having them installed, I've immediately noticed the traction and handling I became a custom to with the Lexus GS400. Simply put these tires are Outstanding!

The only reason I chose to compare the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4's are because a guy at Sears recommended those, they don't really seem to be a suitable tire for a GS.

From all the above data, you can see that the S-03's are the best performance wise, and a pretty good in noise and road comfort as well. You can also see that the Yokohama AVS dB's are the best in noise and road comfort and aren't that bad in handling either.

I know I haven't mentioned anything about the Nittos or the Toyos. But I remember some people on here saying that the Nittos are kind of noisey, and used more for racing than anything else. And I also remember some people saying that they are trying to get rid of their Toyos or "wished they never got Toyos."

I tried looking for comparison charts of nittos, toyos, and the bridgestones, didn't find any on the net, but didn't look THAT hard either.

I already went ahead and got mine, Bridgestone S-02 Pole Position, I would have gotten the S-03's but I got a really good deal on the S-02's, so that's what I went with and they are really good handling wise, it feels like the car just doesn't wanna let go of the road, its like glued! But there is a trade-off, which is noise, and I know I wouldn't have had much of it if I had went with the Yokos or even the Michelins.

I hope this helps whoever wants to get new tires. But be sure to atleast look into the Toyos and the Nittos a bit more, they seem have superior handling capabilities from what their websites say, but personally, I would recommend the S-03's.
Old 07-01-01, 10:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Thanks nanotech. I'm sure the S-02s are great tires. I must say though I doubt they will be much quieter than stock Bridgestones, if at all.

Sounds like KenJack should get Yoko AVS dBs - although the handling is lame.

Proving again... you can't have it all (quiet, handling, treadwear - pick 2 )
Old 07-01-01, 10:59 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, people who have the Nakamichi sound system don't get ASL...which I think is kinda dumb, we pay more, and we don't get that neat little feature !
Old 07-09-01, 06:11 PM
KenJack

Question ASL ??

I'm puzzled what the ASL/NAK issue has to do with the tire question - Is that just a For Your Info type thing??
Old 07-09-01, 06:23 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ASL ??

Originally posted by KenJack
I'm puzzled what the ASL/NAK issue has to do with the tire question - Is that just a For Your Info type thing??
We must have lost you about midway up the page when 1SICKLEX said:

Quite @#$%^& frankly I've had the OEM tires, Bridgestone RE 730 and now Kumho Esctsa and there ain't no @#$%^ difference noise wise.

The GS is a very quiet car I don't hear nothing

With the radio on I hear even less

Turn on the ASL and you'll be cool.........

Old 08-03-03, 07:20 PM
billh556
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default May be too late, but.....

I also wanted quiet over all other considerations, using the factory 17" wheels. After research, I got the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z model.

The quiet is unbelieveable - you'd think I got an entire new car. This is especially true on imperfect surfaces, where the OEM RE030s and replacement Michelin Pilot XGTs were noisy.

There is a little performance loss, not in traction, but in lateral stability going into a corner.... the LS-Z leans more, I'm guessing it's a softer sidewall. But this is very minor - the car still holds on through the corner, it just leans more.

The ride is very slightly softer with the LS-Zs, but hardly noticeable. What *is* stunning is how much more quiet they are. My car now has the kind of quiet Lexus is known for - and still handles quite nicely (for me) in real-world driving.

I still can't believe the difference, and I've had the LS-Zs for about 3 months now. I've been in other people's GS's with Pirelli and the Toyo Proxes.... Pirellis were noisy, the Toyos were pretty quiet. But nothing like the LS-Z.

Just my $.02 after five years of owning the car, and the third set of tires. I'll never buy anything else for this car.
Old 08-03-03, 08:07 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, you just pulled up a thread that is over 2 years old!
Old 08-03-03, 11:01 PM
billh556
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Oops!

I misread the date - sorry!
Old 10-10-04, 11:01 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Default I WANT SUPER QUIET SUPER SMOOTH TIRES WITH GOOD HANDLING

I am looking for very quiet, smooth but good handling tires (I dont want it to slip every other time I make a turn!).....anybody have any ideas? I was thinking the Yokohoma AVS db2s?
Old 10-10-04, 10:53 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Falken Azenis St-115.......SUPER Quiet, Excellent Wet traction, Cheap price..
these tires don't get the props they deserve..
Old 10-11-04, 06:58 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: May be too late, but.....

Originally posted by billh556
I also wanted quiet over all other considerations, using the factory 17" wheels. After research, I got the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z model.

The quiet is unbelieveable - you'd think I got an entire new car. This is especially true on imperfect surfaces, where the OEM RE030s and replacement Michelin Pilot XGTs were noisy.

There is a little performance loss, not in traction, but in lateral stability going into a corner.... the LS-Z leans more, I'm guessing it's a softer sidewall. But this is very minor - the car still holds on through the corner, it just leans more.

The ride is very slightly softer with the LS-Zs, but hardly noticeable. What *is* stunning is how much more quiet they are. My car now has the kind of quiet Lexus is known for - and still handles quite nicely (for me) in real-world driving.

I still can't believe the difference, and I've had the LS-Zs for about 3 months now. I've been in other people's GS's with Pirelli and the Toyo Proxes.... Pirellis were noisy, the Toyos were pretty quiet. But nothing like the LS-Z.

Just my $.02 after five years of owning the car, and the third set of tires. I'll never buy anything else for this car.
Well I ended up getting the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs on my car a little while back and I agree with your statements completely. Although I don't think the LS-Zs are really necessary unless you plan on removing your speed limiter and exceeding 149 MPH.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure if I'll buy them again. They have one flaw and a serious one at that. They develop 'flat spots' in cold weather. So when I start driving the car in cold weather after it has been sitting for a few hours, the tires feel horribly out of balance until they warm back up which can take 10-15 minutes easily depending on the situation. On the highway it's flat-out rediculous... you can have perfectly balanced tires, yet the flat spots will cause the steering wheel to shudder and the entire car to wobble. Then 15 minutes down the road it's like it never happened.
Old 11-10-04, 05:37 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

so far I have heard perilli nero's are quiet, falken's azenis are quiet, and dunlop sp9000......I have to narrow down from these three......help me out!

Quick Reply: Tires - I want Quiet, Quiet, Quiet !!!