Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires - I want Quiet, Quiet, Quiet !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-01, 03:44 PM
KenJack

The OEM RE030's are driving me nut and it appears I'm not the only one. The road noise is starting to get to me. To anyone who can help me, my points are:

1. Does the road noise seem excessive to anyone else, an if so how did you solve it? I could care less if I have to change them every 10,000 miles because of soft compounds or whatever else it takes, I JUSY WANT QUIET ! There's something great about having a car like this that's quick and nimble, but has a catlike quietness also.

2. When I hit smooth asphalt, the car drives quiet as a Cadillac, but rough texture road or rain grooves make a hell of a racket, which makes me think it"s the sidwalls transmitting noise, not the tread pattern causing it.

3. I just talked to the Goodyear Engineer at Goodyear Corporate that designs a lot of their tires, who has given me great advice in the past. He recommended the Eagle HP Ultra Plus 234/45/17 as a good replacement. They/re W rated (up to 168 mph) and under $120 per tire. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks everyone for any feedback you may have.
Old 05-17-01, 03:54 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken,

i suspect lex factory made an awesome deal with the re030, and use these BAD tyres to save production costs.

i have not heard anyone with experience on the forementioned good year. the prices are very good for 235 though.

but if you are uncertain, just go for either of followings:

bridge re730, toyo T1-S, yoko avs db. all very quiet, good traction, long lasting tyres.

Old 05-17-01, 04:28 PM
RacingAristo

I highly recommend Brigestone RE730. I have it on Toyota Camry and it's great for its price, performance and quiet road noise.
Old 05-17-01, 04:35 PM
tiger430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet tires

If you really want a quiet tire look no further than the Yokohama AVS db. You can read about them on the Tire Rack website and read their survey results. I must tell you the last choice for me would be Goodyear tires. I have tried to use them because they are an American company, but have been really disappointed in every set I have purchased. Try the Yoko's and you'll never look back!
Old 05-17-01, 05:19 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

I just bought the Yokohoma AVS DB's. Had them installed today........ Quiet? Yes. But still not Lexus quiet.
I guess thats the part of having low profile tires. I got 245-45-17 on the stock wheel. They do not grip as well as the Pirelli Supersport 7000s that I had on the car before, but they are at least twice as quiet and handle the bumps a little better. I think I should have went with the Dunlop 5000s. Also, they do not look as good as the Pirellis either.
Old 05-17-01, 07:50 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what do you guys think about the Dunlop SP9000 and the Bridgestone S-03 Pole Positions?
Old 05-17-01, 10:10 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Nanotech,
I am not sure about the Bridgestones, but the Dunlop 9000's were not designed to be a quiet and smooth riding tire. The 5000's were.
Old 05-18-01, 03:20 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

so Dunlop SP9000 were not designed for low noise level and comfort and the 5000s were?

ok so I guess that takes me out of the Dunlop league, since I haven't heard many good things about the 5000s.

So that leaves only S-03 Pole Positions and the Yokohoma AVS db.

I want extreme quiteness and super smooth ride but I ALSO want good handling and traction.

I THINK only have about 1000 more miles till I probably need to change, even though the Sears guy told me I could do 8,000 to 12,000 more miles on my current tires without much problem !!! But the tires don't look too good to me right now.
Old 05-18-01, 03:27 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

the 9000s are actually not bad, according to many users from tirerack. bur of course there are other choices in terms of low noise.

back in the OLD forum, the 5000s were actually praised buy several members. for the price, it is pretty good.

for all around factors considerations, you cannot beat the re730 or toyoT1S.

S03 are "supposed" to be very good, but it is too new to have many comments and feedbacks.
Old 05-22-01, 10:21 AM
Isaak
Driver School Candidate

I have very good experience with Dunlop SP 5000 245/45/17
I believe, this tire is the best combination between performance, longevity and traction.
I use my car for a daily 90 miles commute. Couple of times past winter I hit snow/ice storm. My car was one of the few rear wheel drives which never got stuck. Occasionally I drive my car very hard- I never was disappointed. This tire is priced reasonably and you can expect to put 35-40,000 miles on it. If you want to use your car every day throughout the year it's your best bet.
Old 05-22-01, 04:01 PM
hlee1169
Rookie

Thumbs up sp9000

I recently just replaced my 235/45/17 Dunlops SP9000 to 245/40/18 front, 275/35/18 rear SP9000s, and I was pleasantly surprised by the ride comfort and noise level. My previous has been worn to the bare, and was quite noisy on some roads. After I got the new tires, I was expecting a rougher ride and more noise due to the wider contact area and lower profile. But it acutally rides better and is quieter than my previous set. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a balance in performance and comfort.
Old 05-22-01, 06:14 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

so Dunlop 5000 is supposed to be quiet & comfortable and Dunlop 9000 is supposed to have good performance?

I value comfort and ride quality the most, but I also prefer top-notch safety and I want to be able to floor it all around if I am ever in need, therefore suggesting a need for performance in my tires as well

And all this is getting me confused, I don't care about price nor about longetivity, I just want the ultimate in ride quality and something that is ok-to-excellent in performance as well.
Old 05-22-01, 06:19 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

so Dunlop 5000 is supposed to be quiet & comfortable and Dunlop 9000 is supposed to have good performance?

I value comfort and ride quality the most, but I also prefer top-notch safety and I want to be able to floor it all around if I am ever in need, therefore suggesting a need for performance in my tires as well

And all this is getting me confused, I don't care about price nor about longetivity, I just want the ultimate in ride quality and something that is ok-to-excellent in performance as well.
Old 05-23-01, 02:54 PM
KenJack

Thumbs up Thanks everyone and especially Nanotech

Thanks to everyone, but especially Nanotech who tried to pull the thread back on track when he said:

"And all this is getting me confused, I don't care about price nor about longetivity, I just want the ultimate in ride quality and something that is ok-to-excellent in performance as well"

As I mentioned when I started the thread, I am looking for QUIET, QUIET, QUIET, 1st and foremost with performance and longevity taking distant 2nd and 3rd places.

I'm still hoping to find someone who has had some experience they can relay regarding the Goodyears I mentioned - The engineer at Goodyear who recommended them has never steered me wrong, but he said that he was not sure on their performance on the GS and suggested that I ask an end user.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-01, 03:27 PM
jberger
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ken,

I was trying to decide between 16's and 17" tires. So I took both for extended test drives trying to decide.
I was amazed at the difference in sound between the 2. The 16's are much quieter than the 17's regardless of type. But the low-profiles certainly have a better inital turn-in and overall lighter feel but the trade off is noise.

Since I already have a race prepped Miata, I wasn't looking for the ultimate performance, I wanted something with a good tradeoff between performance and comfort.
The GS is not the quietest in the Lexus line, it has more wind noise that I expected, but the tire size is a huge part of the problem.

I love yoko's, they are a great performance tire, but on my Q45 they are much louder than Michelin's, so I'm not sure that Yoko's are the answer here.
The only Goodyear's I liked were the gatorbacks, but they are SOOOOO DAMN LOUD and didn't hold up well.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Tires - I want Quiet, Quiet, Quiet !!!