Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

I was SLIPPIN' ALL ova the road! what tires???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-05, 10:36 AM
luciano
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Put those spinners on the roof, make a chopper.
Old 01-25-05, 10:44 AM
dickyg
Rookie

I would have to agree with neo. If you drive your Lexus or any car all season in New England it's smart to have a set of summer/ winter rims and tires. If you have a set of summer already, go with a set of good winter tires. All seaons are Ok (not prefered) for front wheel drive cars that have weight on the front tires (the engine) but not so much for rear wheel drive cars which are light in the back.

I have driven (due to work/ rear wheel Crown Vic's) in all types of storms/ blizzards and I swear on snow tires for rear wheel drive cars (or any vehcle being driven in the snow). I would get stuck a few times a shift during a snow storm if we did not ride with snow tires. Not to say you will go through snowbanks with your lexus with snows, but they will give you the best possible traction in snow. Most of the accidents/cars off the road I see during storms are cars with all seasons or bald tires (and of course some were messing around and driving too fast for the road conditions). Very rarely do I see a car off the road with good snow tires.

To end: You buy a tire for what it is designed for. People who go mudding buy mudding tires or they would get stuck. People who race buy buy racing tires or they would go off the track or not be able to keep up with the pack. People who are searious about driving in the snow, drive on snow tires.

Hope this helps and you go with the snows. It is a small invesestment for what vehicle they are going on. Snow tires are cheaper than body work and paint because you hit a snow bank. Not to mention the 1 hour + you haveto wait to have AAA pull you out of a snowbank if your lucky.

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-25-05, 11:53 AM
Nas
Driver

I just get the feeling that Lexus sedans suck in the snow. We had two LS' ('98 and '01), and both would go crazy and skid if there was a DUSTING! We had all-season tires on those cars. I understand that we should have switched to winter tires, but c'mon, it could have handled a dusting...

Our ES330 is FWD, and we figured it could manage in the snow. We've had no trouble with several cars from Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, etc in past winters. However, this ES couldnt get up a slight grade with less than an inch of snow. I don't know what the reason was (it has all-season tires). I just got Michelin X-Ice tires on the car today, and hope it can go through several inches of snow.

My SUVs destroy the snow on a pair of all-seasons.

I don't know if its Lexus sedans or what? I know its not my driving, b/c I've driven through some bad snow on hills/curves with cars w/o anti-lock brakes, traction controls, etc. In addition, the other day I saw a 3 (rwd, not xi), 5, and 7 series going through tons of snow.

I recommend winter tires, at least from reading and researching, everyone seems to have success with them.

Drive Safely

-Nas

Last edited by Nas; 01-25-05 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-25-05, 03:56 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

OK..... SO its to the snow tires BUT the question is (and has always been)

What BRAND of SNOW TIRES should i buy? Whats a good pair for a reasonable price???

Thanks
Old 01-25-05, 08:05 PM
dickyg
Rookie

The best= Nokian IMO

Do a search online and see how they all rate independently.
Old 01-25-05, 09:18 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Ok these are all the tires that were suggested:
Blizzak Lm's
Nokian Hakkapeliitta
Dunlop Winter sport M2's

Now some quick questions i saw some Dunlop Graspic Ds-2's that said "Studless Ice & Snow" are these good because the reviews were GREAT and the price is .....EXCELLENT
BUT what do ya'll think ? Matter of fact are Studless Ice & Snow Tires better than "Performance Winter" tires?

Also what do these codes mean i saw them on tirerack.com:
HR Speed Rated
Load Rating XL
QR Speed Rated
Serv. Desc: 95Q
Serv. Desc: 99V

And the last question is you know how it says:
215/60-16
225/55-16
235/45-17

Which size am i suppost to buy?

This is the page i looked At!

Well thanks gain for all the help i hope my answers get answered ASAP another snow storm is comming tomorrow and im not sure if there will have to be a time when i take the car out so i have to be prepared!!!!

Thanks
Old 01-25-05, 09:23 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

ok found a lil something!!
Old 01-26-05, 01:29 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alexus

Alexus,

You are definitely on the right track with snow tires for the car. The Dunlops are sold out for the season in your size. If you have the stock 16 inch wheels the correct size is 215/60 16. We have the Michelin X Ice and the Blizzak WS 50 remaining in stock in your size. Both are stud less ice and snow tire and will give you the best snow and ice traction but don't have much dry road performance. The Blizzak is by far our best selling winter tire. I hope this helps.
Old 01-26-05, 07:01 PM
jag_600
Driver

I've run Dunlop M3's and Goodyear GW3's here in northern Ohio. Both work great and I would recommend them both.

My deductible is $500, my current GW3's were less than my deductible, and take the drama out of winter driving.
Old 01-28-05, 01:52 PM
Chigga
Lead Lap

RWD cars don't suck in snow, its matter of experience with rwd cars in the snow, a FWD car is in fact mroe dangerous in the snow than RWD, RWD can be easily control in the snow with gas, a FWD will just understeer its *** thru hell. Just turn your VSC off in the snow, for me it limits my ability to drive the car safely in the snow storm instead of helping me.

what are good snow tires? all depends on how you need to use it. I bought some fairly cheap Coopers for $400 Cdn a set in size 215/55/16, reason why is cause the area here gets clean fairly quick, and when its over say 1ft of snow, its not like the car is going to have a chance to go over the roads at all even with studded tires.

I personally wanted Dunlop WS M3, but I figured for the extra $300, I really don't need that "Sportiness" in winter tires.

the M2 is the older version of the M3, you should able to score them very cheap, the DS2 is extremely cheap at Wal Mart lately, check them out.
Old 01-29-05, 02:11 PM
vasgs4
Pole Position

I just put a set of yokohama avid 4's on my stock 16" wheels, they are all season and are rated excellent and superior in all weather conditions, I got them off of tire rack, I think they were 95 each plus shipping. they are 225 55 16