Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

GS400 17" tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 09:19 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely less sidewall flexing during cornering & accelerating with lower profiles.
Old 04-07-05, 09:43 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

It does have some impact but the makeup of the tire and tread material / design has a lot more to do with peformance. A 50 series touring tire is not going to handle anywhere near a 50 series ultra performance tire. You can have an extra short and stiff sidewall but so what, if the tire just slides out from under the car when going around the corners.

Thats all I was getting at.
Old 04-07-05, 11:04 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by morris
It does have some impact but the makeup of the tire and tread material / design has a lot more to do with peformance. A 50 series touring tire is not going to handle anywhere near a 50 series ultra performance tire. You can have an extra short and stiff sidewall but so what, if the tire just slides out from under the car when going around the corners.

Thats all I was getting at.
That's exactly why I mentioned in my previous post, it depends of the respective class of car (IE: high performance sports car like the Vette or a large family car like the Buick Lesabre). That's why one should try their best to get the proper category of tire to suit the car (and consider the recommended speed rating). There are not many 'Touring' tires that come in a 50 series or lower profile as it is. But I got the jist of your point.
Old 04-09-05, 02:47 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Arrow Choices

Thanks all for your opinions. Keep them coming as I going to hold off buying anything for a while. Took the can to NTB and they measured my tread. Tires were anywhere from 5 to 7/32s and they said I have plenty of mileage left. If they continue to tramline like they have been recently, even though I am keeping them pumped up, they might get the boot earlier.

It seems a fair amount of you like the Falkens. The quote below is from Shogun who feels the Falkens ride hard. It seems the Pirelli P-Zero Ner is a good candidate.

Originally Posted by Shogun
For the value tire (and I've had the Falken's 512s - felt too hard and the Sumitomo's HTRs - worn out at 20K) try the Kumho ASX's at $98 per in 245/45/17.

I bought these a month or so ago and have been extremely pleased. The Tire Rack has a review of these tires against the P-Zero Nero (sorta a cheap vs. expensive comparison) and they came in with 98% of the Nero's capabilities at a much less expensive price.

No balancing or round problems and they ride smooth and quiet. Tread pattern looks more aggressive in-person than in the picture. My biggest gripe is from a sidewall appearance standpoint. Instead of a smooth sidewall it has those tiny vertical ribs and then there's a small (but really hokey) "all season" moniker written in cursive - which really doesn't fit the rest of the tire's looks or capabilities.

Great tire, great grip - good luck.

Eric

Bottom line, are both the Falken and Pirelli as good or better that the OEM Bridgestone RE030 in every respect?

Thanks..

Neil
Old 04-09-05, 03:31 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Choices

Do both the Falken and the Pirelli have any rim protection? How about the Toyo Proxy 4s?

Thanks..

Neil
Old 04-09-05, 08:50 AM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil64
Do both the Falken and the Pirelli have any rim protection? How about the Toyo Proxy 4s?
That is a good question. I'm currently leaning towards the Goodyead Eagles F1 GS-D3, which do have rim protection. However, I cannot currently find this information on the Falkens or Pirellis.
Old 04-09-05, 11:59 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

The Falkens 512 I has a 1/4" that hangs over the rim. I assume that's what you are asking about? The size I am using is 235/50/17. I can post pics if you like.
Old 04-10-05, 03:02 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Choices

Falken does not list a rim protection ridge as one of the features of this tire but do for some of their other tires, hence, it probably doesn't have it.

Ntran18, why are you using 235/50/17s? I assume it was to give up a little handling to pick up ride?? Was it worth it - huge difference? Were you using Bridgestone RE030s prior to your switch to the Falkens? If so, how would you compare the Falkens vs. the RE030s in every catagory - ride, dry handling, wet handling, noise, braking, hydroplaning, etc?

Ultimately, removing price and longevity from the equation, I don't see how the Falkens can compete with the RE030s. From my understanding, the RE030 is a ultra high performance tire vs. the Falken, which is an all season perfomance tire. Occasionally, a product comes out that surpasses everyone's expectations, is the Falken one those products that compete with tires at the next level?

I know I am being somewhat ****, but I have been living with the RE030s tramlining because, in my opinion, they seem to do everything well, not to mention were already paid for when I bought the car. I do not want to put an inferior tire on the car. In fact, the only sore spot I have with the car, is tramlining which I hope is caused completely by the tires and not anything else. I'd be willing to pay for a good performing tire but was thinking Z rated tires are way overkill for me. I usually don't exceed 80 and take turns some what fast, but not fast enough to have abnormal wear of get the tires to squeal.

That leads my to another sore spot. If the RE030s are notorious for tramlining, how could Lexus continue to use them as their 17" optional tires from 98-05? The 06s that I have seen use Dunlops. Did Lexus use any other 17" tire from 98-06? Are the Dunlops good?

Decisons, decisions, decisons....

God help me if I ever want to change wheel and tire size!

Thanks..

Neil
Old 04-10-05, 04:26 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

I went with this size because it was the closest match in diameter to my original 215/60/16. I originally had Bridgestone which wasn't bad. With these is handling is a little more responsive. I got these more as touring than performance.

The ridge got me by surprise after the installer put it on.
Old 04-11-05, 08:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Neil64

Thanks..

Neil
The Falkens do yes.....not sure about the other 2.

http://www.tiretrends.com/catalog2.p...rrencyCode--1C