Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

GS400 17" tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 12:33 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Question GS400 17" tire choices

All,

I am going to replace my OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE030 factory 17” tires soon. My tires pull, swerve/tramline really bad. Other than that, I really like these tires as they perform well in the wet and dry. To minimize the tramlining, I used a tip found on this site to inflate the fronts to 38psi and the rears to 36. This made a huge improvement. I now wonder if everyone else experienced the same phenomena with their OEM RE030s or is it my car? I have had the car’s alignment checked and it has always been dead on and the tires are wearing correctly but… If it is the tires, I’d like to make sure whatever I buy does not tramline.

My initial readings indicate:

Michelin Pilots – Expensive
Yokahoma AVS – Good Tire
Toyos – Good Tire
Falken – Good tires but harsh ride

I don’t drive over 100 miles an hour often and wonder if I really need Z rated tires. They probably handle a little better as they are stickier but they also wear faster. This car will not be driven in the snow but will see the rain. I can sacrifice that snow ability to pick up longevity, or possibly, give up a little grip around turns for price but I can not give up performance in the rain nor do I want a hard/harsh tire. The ride quality, good rain performance and the quiet are what I like about the RE030s.

Does anyone have any recommendations of tires they have tried that are good replacements to the RE030s? If so, I‘d appreciate your opinion and what you think they sacrifice vs. the RE030s.

I’d be willing to go up a size if it helps handling.

Thanks for your responses.

Neil
Old 04-04-05, 03:40 PM
Mrbig
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tires

Well would you like another set of the stock tires ???
Old 04-04-05, 11:59 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Would I like another set of RE030s?

Actually, that is what I am trying to figure out. Do you have some for sale? If so, what condition, where are they at and how much?

Neil
Old 04-05-05, 09:26 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Neil64
All,

I am going to replace my OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE030 factory 17” tires soon. My tires pull, swerve/tramline really bad. Other than that, I really like these tires as they perform well in the wet and dry. To minimize the tramlining, I used a tip found on this site to inflate the fronts to 38psi and the rears to 36. This made a huge improvement. I now wonder if everyone else experienced the same phenomena with their OEM RE030s or is it my car? I have had the car’s alignment checked and it has always been dead on and the tires are wearing correctly but… If it is the tires, I’d like to make sure whatever I buy does not tramline.

My initial readings indicate:

Michelin Pilots – Expensive
Yokahoma AVS – Good Tire
Toyos – Good Tire
Falken – Good tires but harsh ride

I don’t drive over 100 miles an hour often and wonder if I really need Z rated tires. They probably handle a little better as they are stickier but they also wear faster. This car will not be driven in the snow but will see the rain. I can sacrifice that snow ability to pick up longevity, or possibly, give up a little grip around turns for price but I can not give up performance in the rain nor do I want a hard/harsh tire. The ride quality, good rain performance and the quiet are what I like about the RE030s.

Does anyone have any recommendations of tires they have tried that are good replacements to the RE030s? If so, I‘d appreciate your opinion and what you think they sacrifice vs. the RE030s.

I’d be willing to go up a size if it helps handling.

Thanks for your responses.

Neil
What is the exact size tire you need & do you want strictly a summer tire or an excellent all season? You mention several tire makers above, but are not totally specific as to what exact model of Toyo, or Falken we are talking about here. If you can be more specific, that would help.
Old 04-05-05, 09:54 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

When I was running 17's on my GS I swore by sumitomo HTRz 2's

They are high performance tires handle okay in the wet and are only 100.00 each at tirerack. Oh and the treadlife is good also.
Old 04-05-05, 10:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by morris
When I was running 17's on my GS I swore by sumitomo HTRz 2's

They are high performance tires handle okay in the wet and are only 100.00 each at tirerack. Oh and the treadlife is good also.
Sumitomo is the tire maker who makes Falken's.
Old 04-06-05, 04:39 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Arrow Tire specs

As for what kind of tire I am specifically looking for, I don't know. This is why I need opinions.

I drive a combination of city and highway and consider myself a spirited driver. I don’t autocross or anything like that but if someone wants to race at a traffic light, I most likely will accommodate him if things are safe and the police are nowhere around. The GS400 will be driven year around but not in snow or ice. It will be driven in the rain and the cold.

I like the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE030s except for the tramlining. If I do not have the fronts at 38psi and the rears at 36, my car is no fun to drive. I am hoping the tramlining is caused by the tires and not the suspension. Outside of the tramlining, I think the RE030s handle well in the dry and rain, are reasonably quiet and offer decent ride quality. They seem to stick well around turns.

That said, I rarely drive over 100 miles an hour and am wondering if I really need a Z rated tire, at least one that costs $150.00+. I have heard that the all season tires last longer and offer better ride quality at reduced grip around turns. They also seem to be cheaper. Now I don’t want to slide around turns but might be willing to give up a little (not a lot) grip to save money or have a longer lasting tire. Generally, I haven’t been able to find any comparisons of ultra high performance tires to A/S performance tires to see how much grip you really give up (a curve you take at 50 mph with ultra high performance tires can only be taken at 45 mph with A/S high performance tires, etc). Whatever I buy must not tramline and must not ruin the nature of the GS400s excellent handling and comfort balance with the factory 17s.

If someone can recommend an all season tire that closely resembles the RE030s in performance sans the tramlining, I will take a good hard look at them. If this is impossible, then please recommend a summer tire that will last longer than 20K, perform as good as the RE030 sans the tramlining and is less expensive and I’ll take a look at it.

I guess I am looking for 235-45-17 and would consider 245-45-17s if they fit without rubbing and don’t adversely affect handling or appearance.

I have read good things and opinions about the below but I have no first hand experience.
:
Toyo Proxies
Various Michelins (Michelin AS Sport, Pilots, Primacies) - usually very expensive
Falken Ziex 512s – harsh ride
Kumho ASX's
Sumitomo's HTRs
Pirelli P-Zero Nero – Good ride
Yokahama AVS Sport

Bottom line, if someone can steer me to a tire that performs as good as the RE030s without tramlining, that is either cheaper, longer lasting, better ride quality or all of the above, I’d be most appreciative.

If that can’t be done, how about a better tire in any category for the same money?

I’d consider another set of the RE030s if I got a guaranty that they wouldn’t tramline but I think the tire has a high propensity to wonder all over the place.
I realize that buying tires is a struggle and compromises must be made. I am just hoping to capitalize on your experiences and opinions.

Thanks..

Neil
Old 04-06-05, 06:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Neil64
As for what kind of tire I am specifically looking for, I don't know. This is why I need opinions.

I drive a combination of city and highway and consider myself a spirited driver. I don’t autocross or anything like that but if someone wants to race at a traffic light, I most likely will accommodate him if things are safe and the police are nowhere around. The GS400 will be driven year around but not in snow or ice. It will be driven in the rain and the cold.

I like the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE030s except for the tramlining. If I do not have the fronts at 38psi and the rears at 36, my car is no fun to drive. I am hoping the tramlining is caused by the tires and not the suspension. Outside of the tramlining, I think the RE030s handle well in the dry and rain, are reasonably quiet and offer decent ride quality. They seem to stick well around turns.

That said, I rarely drive over 100 miles an hour and am wondering if I really need a Z rated tire, at least one that costs $150.00+. I have heard that the all season tires last longer and offer better ride quality at reduced grip around turns. They also seem to be cheaper. Now I don’t want to slide around turns but might be willing to give up a little (not a lot) grip to save money or have a longer lasting tire. Generally, I haven’t been able to find any comparisons of ultra high performance tires to A/S performance tires to see how much grip you really give up (a curve you take at 50 mph with ultra high performance tires can only be taken at 45 mph with A/S high performance tires, etc). Whatever I buy must not tramline and must not ruin the nature of the GS400s excellent handling and comfort balance with the factory 17s.

If someone can recommend an all season tire that closely resembles the RE030s in performance sans the tramlining, I will take a good hard look at them. If this is impossible, then please recommend a summer tire that will last longer than 20K, perform as good as the RE030 sans the tramlining and is less expensive and I’ll take a look at it.

I guess I am looking for 235-45-17 and would consider 245-45-17s if they fit without rubbing and don’t adversely affect handling or appearance.

I have read good things and opinions about the below but I have no first hand experience.
:
Toyo Proxies
Various Michelins (Michelin AS Sport, Pilots, Primacies) - usually very expensive
Falken Ziex 512s – harsh ride
Kumho ASX's
Sumitomo's HTRs
Pirelli P-Zero Nero – Good ride
Yokahama AVS Sport

Bottom line, if someone can steer me to a tire that performs as good as the RE030s without tramlining, that is either cheaper, longer lasting, better ride quality or all of the above, I’d be most appreciative.

If that can’t be done, how about a better tire in any category for the same money?

I’d consider another set of the RE030s if I got a guaranty that they wouldn’t tramline but I think the tire has a high propensity to wonder all over the place.
I realize that buying tires is a struggle and compromises must be made. I am just hoping to capitalize on your experiences and opinions.

Thanks..

Neil
First off Neil, I'm not sure where you got the information regarding the Falekn Ziex ZE-512's as having a harsh ride you mention above.......quite the opposite as a matter of fact. The very nature of this tire being a high performance all season give you a better ride (although still firm enough to give you good steering feedback & handling performance) than a high performance summer tire. This would be by far the best choice for over all value for the price without sacrificing anything that you mention that your looking for above. I also put them on my wife's car & they are just fantastic.....especialy in the heavy rain & snowy conditions.

Other Falken owners please share your opinion good or bad with how you like them on your car.

You are bang on the Michelins (Pilot Sport A/S), they are just an awesome tire & I loved them when I put them on my 01 Maxima.......but the price of them is out of this world!

Not a fan of Kumho's & they are not well loved on this site either (some positive things but the bad things far out number the good).

The Falkens are a step up over the Sumitomo's you mention (chances are for less money to boot!) & like I said, made by the same company.

Pirelli's have had alot of positive feedback, but again they are fairly pricy.

Yoko's you mention are a summer tire.

The Toyo model you would put on in an all season application would be the Proxes 4. Good feedback, but quite a bit more expensive than the Falken's.......for roughly the same mileage wear. No experence personally with them.

One other tire to give consideration would be the Avon Tech M550 A/S. It is available on tirerack & the company comes from a long history & had been around for decades. I will post the link below.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Here is the website to the Falken Ziex ZE-512 as well. My first choice are by far the Falkens, the Avon & Toyo would be a coin toss. I hope this helps.......feel free to ask any other questions you might have, but you will not go wrong with the Falkens......& in fact will be pleasantly suprised! Good Luck.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

In addition, here is a link that DDlexus posted with a chart showing the Falken's that came in first overall of a test of many high performance tires.....scroll down about half way to find the chart.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=152876&page=2

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 04-06-05 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-06-05, 06:32 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Based upon the 20K+ mile requirement and the need for low noise, it sounds like you are looking mor for a touring type tire. Unfortuantely I dont kknow much about them
Old 04-06-05, 07:39 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Based upon the 20K+ mile requirement and the need for low noise, it sounds like you are looking mor for a touring type tire. Unfortuantely I dont kknow much about them
A touring tire will not give the type of performance, nor is it in the same category Neil is looking for........the Falkens should last well past 30k miles with the proper maintenance & rotations.
Old 04-06-05, 09:43 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

maybe falkens are different but i never owned a ultra performance tire that gave any where near that type of mileage
Old 04-06-05, 07:20 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Falken Ziex ZE 512's 60 & 65 series are good for 60,000 miles. 55 series & under they are good for 30,000 miles.
Old 04-06-05, 09:15 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Been using Falken 512 for a while now. Very happy with them. Got them in both 65 & 50 profile. The 65 profile is near 30K and not even half worn yet. The 50 profile been used for about 1.5K, both been good in wet & dry.
Old 04-07-05, 08:32 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Everyone does understand that the profile doesnt neccessarily have a lot to do with the perfomance abillities of the tire?
Old 04-07-05, 08:57 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Everyone does understand that the profile doesnt neccessarily have a lot to do with the perfomance abillities of the tire?
Actually it does.......the lower the profile, the stiffer & more reinforced the sidewall is which give less bounce (at the expense of some ride quality)........hence the reason it greatly helps the handling & cornering abilities. Think about the 'profile' of a Corvette, compared to say a Buick Lesabre to prove my point.......there is a reason for the type of tires the automaker put's on a car depending on the primary function or category the car is in. Now chassis & suspension as well as dozens of other factors are extremely important as well........but I think you see where I am going with that tire example.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 04-07-05 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: GS400 17" tire choices