Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

AfterMarket Chrome Rims & using spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 12:09 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
this is a classic example of misinformation.

offset has little to do with big brake fitment. our LS' along with most BBK equipped cars need a High Disk setup meaning that there is adequate room for the caliper behind the wheel. this is NOT AFFECTED by offset.
And now you are spreading misinformation.
There are cases in which offset DOES affect brake clearance. Some one piece wheels will have a larger back pad to lower the offset. This INCREASES the brake clearance the lower offset you go. Classic example is the 5Zigen FN01RC. 17x10 +12 has more brake clearance than 17x10 +25. They simply have a larger back pad for the +12.
Old 05-05-06, 09:57 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, i dont see any problem with Hubcentric spacers, as long as you'll get this done correctly. I've done it many times on my previous cars.

1. High quality spacers like H&R
2. High quality lug nuts
3. High quality Extended Wheel Studs (H&R) unless you can get atleast 8 full turns on lug nut you should be fine. To be on safe side, even if you can get 8 turns i would replace wheel studs since few years put alot stress on them, so the old one could break unpredictably.

I'm running 5mm spacers right now on my GS400 with heavy 19'' cast wheels, no problem

Last edited by LEXSOOS; 05-05-06 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 11:31 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle_el
that would be millimeters, not meters.
Correct

Originally Posted by uncle_el
a 5mm spacer (same as a 1/4 inch)
In-correct: 5mm = ~1/5inch
1inch = 25.4mm
not trying to get technical but it does make a difference sometimes....

And yes, 5mm should be no problem as long as you have enough turns (i believe 5) with the lug nut (so the wheel doesn't separate from the Lexus going down the road). If the 5mm spacer passes your hub though, you may get a slight shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel.
Old 05-10-06, 02:37 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
Correct

In-correct: 5mm = ~1/5inch
1inch = 25.4mm
not trying to get technical but it does make a difference sometimes....

And yes, 5mm should be no problem as long as you have enough turns (i believe 5) with the lug nut (so the wheel doesn't separate from the Lexus going down the road). If the 5mm spacer passes your hub though, you may get a slight shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel.
All above is correct, but i would go for more than 5 turns- thats my opinion.
5mm spacers won't pass hub on LS, and hubcentric rings would be recommended as well
Old 05-14-06, 01:03 PM
diamondmit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out this website for spacers...also available at a wide range of Lexus shops.

http://www.wheeladapter.com/home.asp

BTW, spacers are NOT a problem if they are used in moderation. Most race teams use spacers to widen the tracks of the cars they are racing, and/or to clear the brake calipers that are installed for race use. You can do a little geometry to determine that the torsional forces on the hub and axle are not significantly increased with the use of spacers, although they do increase slightly.

The principle issues with spacers are balancing and the length of the studs protruding through the wheels. As long as you obtain spacers from a reputable manufacturer, particularly one with race experience, you are likely to have no balancing problems. On the other hand, the stock studs on a Lexus are generally too short to be safely used with spacers. If you check out the URL above, you'll see that these particular spacers simply bolt to the original Lexus studs, and then provide offset studs on which you can safely mount your wheels. This insures that enough threads are captured by the nut when you mount. Any manufacturer that provides this type of spacer should be a good bet to solve your problem.

The added benefit is that the car will have a wider track and the wheels/tires will look even better than they would have without the spacer.

Checking the date of your original post, this info is probably too late, but hopefully helpful nonetheless.

Good luck,
DD.
Old 05-19-06, 02:57 PM
40swords
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kalbo_1
The company was MHT, Driv Series, The Don Wheels. 45+ offset was just right! To make things a little easier next time...I hope this helps any future LS400 95+ wheel buyers?

Backspacing ....................
Yo, the Driv DONs were the EXACT same wheel I wanted for the longest time. I have a 94 Ls but the place that was selling them said that they wouldnt clear my caliper without spacers. I was really dissapointed. I guess maybe it only would fit 2nd Gen. This sucks. want 18s, but it seems like I cant find anything that I like that fits. I dont want spacers at all. Damn, I need help.
I defintely dont want to order rims from somewhere and get them only to find out they dont fit and be stuck with them! But I live on Cape Cod and theres not a lot of wheel places around here, and none with any kind of on site inventory so I can try them. Damn...Anybody help