Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Who has had both Pirelli P-Zero Neros &/or Goodyr GS-D3's..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-05 | 03:52 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Default Who has had both Pirelli P-Zero Neros &/or Goodyr GS-D3's..?

Who has had both Pirelli p-zero neros & Goodyear Eagle GS-D3's that can compare the two?(or comments of owners of either one only welcome)

I curious which is louder? Which is most comfortable? Which last longer. I have GS-D3s now and am considering Pzero neros for next set.

MODS- I know this should end up in tire section, but can you please leave it in GS forum for a little while? thanks
Old 04-13-05 | 06:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I went from S03s to P-Zero Neros...

Pro:
Nice and quiet
Comfortable ride
Straight line traction good / adequate

Netural / Unknown:
I have not driven enough in the rain to comment on wet performance
I have not driven enough to report tread wear issues

Con:
They don't seem to 'stick' as much as the S03s did... while they haven't broken loose in a turn, I feel like they are much more on edge than the S03s which were consistent and gave me more confidence.
Old 04-13-05 | 06:57 PM
Neo
The One

redgs4 has the GS-D3s and rominl has the P-Zero Neros. We have not gotten together for awhile so I am not sure if they have been in eachother's cars to compare. Hopefully, they chime in or you can ask them directly.
Old 04-13-05 | 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i have to agree with davegs4, the nero are very very quiet and comofortable, but in terms of performance, grip, and handling, especially in the rain, the nero isn't the best i would pick. like dave said, the nero gives way on turns way sooner than expected (especially now i have tc and lsd)
Old 04-16-05 | 08:25 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

here are my choices right now for 245/40/18

Pirelli Pzero nero $150
Goodyear GS D3 $225
Michelin PS2 $225

any thoughts........?
Old 04-16-05 | 08:41 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

I'm running the Pzero Nero for almost a year now and the tires are so damn quiet. Especially on 20" wheels.. Another great factor I like is the wear on them. They don't seem to be wearing out as fast as my other tires..
Old 04-16-05 | 09:25 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Had Goodyears on the SC but obviously can't directly compare but they were a) fairly loud and b) only lasted about 18k miles (ALL highway, at that). But as a result have never considered them for the GS.

Had, of course, the original awful RE030s. Replaced those with S03s which were quieter and better performers in all respects. Got about 15k before I replaced them. Below 40F., they would just as soon stay in the garage, and ANY form of frozen precip even in minimal amounts makes them unmanageable. (This shouldn't be unexpected; they aren't designed for those conditions at all.) I decided to try a high performance A/S simply because I never had before and settled on the Pirellis after reading the TireRack consumer feedback and comparing ratings with the more expensive Michelins.

No, they don't have as sharp turn in response as the S03s but they do take a set quickly and then hang on quite well and feel very stable (once you get used to that half a beat wait compared to the S03s, but I know what DaveGS4 is saying). Wet traction is quite good, better than the 03s, I think. The ride is significantly more complaint than the stiffer sidewall 03 but not sloppy at all. Plus, when it's 35F outside, they work just as well as they do at 75F. And they are QUIET!!!! And altho I personally don't care how long a tire lasts me, as long as I get 15k out of it, they should wear way longer than that given a treadwear rating of 400. Iow, I'm very impressed. Maybe I'll try the Michelins next time, but I find it hard to believe that the additional $75/tire is going to be apparent.

For comparison purposes, I consider my driving style as moderately aggressive, but I don't street race nor do I track the car. I only really push to any degree when the traffic situation is such that losing it won't endanger any other vehicle/driver/pedestrian. Ymmv.
Old 04-16-05 | 09:38 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

is the pirelli p zero nero m+s the only nero they make? that seems to be the only one I see at tirerack and discount tire.
I don't need an all season tire because my car will never see anything close to snow.
Old 04-16-05 | 09:51 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

I have the GS-D3s. Like the way they ride (great in the rain!), hate the way the sound though. They got noisy real fast. But I think it's because of my poor camber. I might have the same problem with most tires, with my 19" fat setup.

Maybe I needed a better alignment. Or more frequently alignments...on these awful Northeastern roads.

I guess I might have to go with the Bridgestone S-03. My choices seem limited in this 19" fat setup. I could do the Pilot Sports or PZero Assimetrico though.

I really like the GS-Ds though, looks, handling, wear (for the most part) and rain capabilities (and price is cheaper than most too). It's only the noise I dislike.

I heard that the Bridgestones are even louder than the GSDs, and I hear the Pirellis are not good in the rain.

Hmmm.... decisions, decisions...

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-16-05 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-16-05 | 10:20 AM
JungleJoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckb
is the pirelli p zero nero m+s the only nero they make? that seems to be the only one I see at tirerack and discount tire.
I don't need an all season tire because my car will never see anything close to snow.
I wouldn't go the Pzero route ChuckB. I've had strange frwy experiences with them on and the only solution was to get different tires. theres a thread in the suspension and brake section where this was discussed, i think it was started by kaine. Never had the Goodyears. Im a straight yoko fan now.

on a side note, if you have an aggresive drop with fairly bad camber, forget the high-dollar high tech stuff. You be eating up the insides of it anyways. get the AVON tyre on tirerack.com Great performance, tread life, and comfort for the price. They've gotten really good reviews the test team there has them upclose with the Pzeros.
Old 04-16-05 | 03:37 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

chuck, A/S doesn't necessarily mean snow; here in Ark we rarely get it (and I'll drive HER RX330 in that circumstance, anyway). But we do get semi-cold......oops.....just noticed ur in FL.

You might like S03s down there. Not as quiet as the Pirellis but performance is good, tho treadwear is, of course, not all that long. But that will be true of any really high performance summer tire (hard compounds and high handling limits do not go together).
Old 04-16-05 | 05:31 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Chuck, after re-reading your intial post, it seems that you are looking for a tire more for daily driving than performance. I still say that the Pzero is the way to go. SO3's are awesome for performance and look great but I've driven in a car that had them on 19's and they were very loud on the HWY.

Flipside909 just called me today and said he slapped on some Pzero Nero's on his IS300 in 18's and loves them so far. I have heard that Dunlop makes a pretty good tire too... They are always at the car shows out here in CA.
Old 04-16-05 | 05:52 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

When I originally got my ssr's from tire rack, I wanted to get the goodyear gsd3's but they were on backorder. So I settled for the Dunlop sp9000. They handle great in both dry and wet conditions and there is no tramlining. When new, they were fairly quite but now after 7k, they are getting rather loud. My mich pilot sport a/s that I run during winter are a whole lot quieter and handle almost as well as the dunlops. When it's time to replace the dunlops, I going to consider the goodyear gsd3's
Old 04-16-05 | 05:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I vouch for P-Zero Nero M&S as LXOGOOD said. Very quiet. Very comparable to my previous Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
Old 04-16-05 | 06:07 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for the feedback guys. does anyone know the actual difference between the m+s and the regular P zero nero?

Quick Reply: Who has had both Pirelli P-Zero Neros &/or Goodyr GS-D3's..?