Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Hre Wheels (part I)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 06:24 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4fun
There was another thread saying i couldn't because of the AWD.
Hmmm I dont see why? I wanna read that thread
Old 04-27-05, 07:31 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wait if you get awd you can't go staggard wheels? i guess you just get different offsets for the rear than the front to get that staggard look... where thiers a will theirs a way..
Old 04-27-05, 07:32 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GS4fun

have you contacted HRE and found out the what you need to know ?
Old 04-27-05, 09:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm.... personally i don't see why you can't get hre wheels on the gs300 awd??? there is no reason

and i why can't you get staggered setup for the car? is the car 50/50 awd all the time? somehow i don't thikn so. if that's not the case then you should be able to do staggered setup coz' most of the time power are still more towrds the rear

just look at the audi s4. it's awd, and i think it has staggered wheel setup?
Old 04-27-05, 10:39 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its due to the traction control system?
Old 04-27-05, 10:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I think its due to the traction control system?
if it's due to the traction control system, then at least you can do non-staggered systems?

but instead, if there is traction control system isn't it even better coz' if you have staggered setup, it sense that the rear is holding on traction better and keep the power there?

dunno, i am not very good on awd system so i am just guessing
Old 04-28-05, 12:35 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if it's due to the traction control system, then at least you can do non-staggered systems?

but instead, if there is traction control system isn't it even better coz' if you have staggered setup, it sense that the rear is holding on traction better and keep the power there?

dunno, i am not very good on awd system so i am just guessing

Yeah, I have no Idea why he cant do a Non-staggered setup???

But regarding the trac control, I know that on some cars, if the rear is wider then the front, the trac will kick in, and the car will not go anywhere until you turn off the TC.

But I heard the new VDCM (or whatever they call it) is non-user controlled, so you cant turn it off. Which might cause the system to apply breaking in the rear, if it senses that the rear is not moving in the same speed as the front (due to the staggered setup).
Old 04-28-05, 12:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Yeah, I have no Idea why he cant do a Non-staggered setup???

But regarding the trac control, I know that on some cars, if the rear is wider then the front, the trac will kick in, and the car will not go anywhere until you turn off the TC.

But I heard the new VDCM (or whatever they call it) is non-user controlled, so you cant turn it off. Which might cause the system to apply breaking in the rear, if it senses that the rear is not moving in the same speed as the front (due to the staggered setup).
interesting, i think i understand what you talking about. and i just checked the audi site, it seems like the s4 has same size tires front and back.

umm..... this is kinda sad.... guess no awd for me
Old 04-28-05, 03:59 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's all about the tire diameter. The computer has no way to know how wide the tires are...

We do staggered set-ups on all-wheel drive cars all the time. The Porsche 996 Turbo is AWD, and it comes with wider rear wheels & tires. They come with 235/40-18 front and 295/30-18 rear- we change them to 235/35-19 front and 315/25-19 rear, works great... even the local Porsche dealer buys and installs this set-up on brand-new cars.

The Lamborghini Diablo VT and the Murcielago are two other examples of AWD cars that come with MUCH wider rear tires- 225/35-18 front an 335/30-18 rear... we upsize these all the time, sometimes to 19" front and 20" rear... just needs the correct tires.

If you choose the correct tire combination, you'll have no issues at all.
Old 04-28-05, 05:07 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting...i'll guess i probably should just talk to HRE....see what they say....
Old 04-28-05, 05:47 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't run hre's on awd cars? what about all those audi's running them? my friend has them on his r33.

i think it was you can't run staggered or different sizes for front and back such as 18's in from and 19's in back.
Old 04-28-05, 10:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah bob you nailed it, never thought about thsoe cars. good info there man

so gs4fun, go at it now, get your wheels!
Old 04-29-05, 01:08 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
ah bob you nailed it, never thought about thsoe cars. good info there man

so gs4fun, go at it now, get your wheels!
I would love to get my car before i get wheels..it would suck if my rims came before my car....i should know by next friday when i should expect to receive my car....salesguy tells me that it all depends on allocation...we'll see
Old 05-02-05, 01:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS4fun
I would love to get my car before i get wheels..it would suck if my rims came before my car....i should know by next friday when i should expect to receive my car....salesguy tells me that it all depends on allocation...we'll see
yeah i can totally understand man. just keep in mind it takes about 4 weeks for hre to get wheels (at least that's the standard time i believe)
Old 05-03-05, 05:50 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
It's all about the tire diameter. The computer has no way to know how wide the tires are...

We do staggered set-ups on all-wheel drive cars all the time. The Porsche 996 Turbo is AWD, and it comes with wider rear wheels & tires. They come with 235/40-18 front and 295/30-18 rear- we change them to 235/35-19 front and 315/25-19 rear, works great... even the local Porsche dealer buys and installs this set-up on brand-new cars.

The Lamborghini Diablo VT and the Murcielago are two other examples of AWD cars that come with MUCH wider rear tires- 225/35-18 front an 335/30-18 rear... we upsize these all the time, sometimes to 19" front and 20" rear... just needs the correct tires.

If you choose the correct tire combination, you'll have no issues at all.

Exactly, the combination must be within a certain range to work properly. It varies by manufacturer. No NON-Staggered wheels sounds incorrect

Quick Reply: Hre Wheels (part I)