Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What do you regret about your wheel puchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 09:27 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Hey morris I think we have the same wheels and I ordered chrome for the reason that I am too lazy to have polished. I hate the lips ot being chrome lol.
The only thing I would change is I would have gotten clearence for a bbk. I am kicking myself now because of that.
Lexis11, would you recommend doing chrome/chrome instead of chrome/polish? I'm looking to buy wheels in the very near future and hopefully I will get it right the first time.
Old 05-10-05, 09:53 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Lexis11, would you recommend doing chrome/chrome instead of chrome/polish? I'm looking to buy wheels in the very near future and hopefully I will get it right the first time.
Um I wish I could have chrome lips but if I ever rub one then I would have to send the whole wheel back to iFORGED and that would take forever where as if I rub a polished lip anyone can fix it.
I am very lazy so polished is not for me lol. Once I wax them a couple times hopefully it will build up a nice coating.
If you get only polished lips then it isnt too bad but I could never have polished wheels.
Old 05-10-05, 10:02 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I have the 18 inch HRE 447R - silver painted center and polished lips. I absolutely love these wheels - they are easy to clean and because I have a BBK, I have better pads with almost zero dust, so the wheels stay clean for a good 5 days.

The only regret I have (small regret, not a big one) is that I should have gotten them in 19's as 18's seem small for a big bodied car like our 2nd gen GS. But hey, I didn't buy them brand new, so that was not an option. Buying them was a no brainer because of the wicked deal I got them for.
Old 05-10-05, 10:29 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No regrets, although I agree that it takes a while to polish the aluminum. I found that once you polish them well, they'll pretty much stay polished if you clean them regularly. I don't polish around the bolts anymore, I just clean the area, polish the rest. I'm using Greased Lightning Orange wheel cleaner, does a good job on iForged, then I follow with either Mothers Billet or Meguiars NXT Metal Polysh. I also like the DuPont Teflon Wheel Cleaner if the wheels are not too dirty. There are plenty of wheel cleaners that will get brake dust off that you can use on polished aluminum.
Also check the Maintenance forum for this if you haven't already.
Old 05-10-05, 10:32 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No regrets here... well, maybe I will make them 2-3mm more aggressive on the next set. But I like to push the envelope. Okay, let's be honest; I'm a little nuts when it comes to wheel fitments.

Looks like I'm going to try yet another style on the car... might just do one side for a different look...
Old 05-10-05, 09:17 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Morris - when I polished the Techniks for the first time, I thought I would have to just park the car forever too!! The care guide that I sent you really works if you follow it, and makes it pretty simple. The Meguiairs NXT All Metal polish made it very livable (even with those 10spoke Techniks and rivets). One nice trick I picked up is just hitting the lips when your feeling lazy! LOL
Everyone is different, but I like the polish and got the maintenence down to a science good enough to order a another set of wheels in Polished no clear.

I dont have the new wheels yet, so I'll save my new regrets until they come!

SoCal - I have a wheel "problem", you have have a "sickness" LOL. Gotta love it man
Old 05-11-05, 04:37 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing the outside really isnt that bad, plus my wheels were in pretty bad shape so maybe it was an isolated incident in my case. But having to pull the wheels off to do behind the spokes where all the brake dust wants to collect is a drag. I figure I will try to get away with doing it once a month and see how things go.
Old 05-11-05, 07:34 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

I regards to polished lips... I am trying to decide on chrome or polished lips. Here are some questions for you owners.

1. From the factory does polished look as shiny as chrome?
2. If so do they stay looking that way with proper maintenence?
Old 05-11-05, 07:36 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion

Yes and YEs
Old 05-11-05, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by IS0LD0UT
I regards to polished lips... I am trying to decide on chrome or polished lips. Here are some questions for you owners.

1. From the factory does polished look as shiny as chrome?
2. If so do they stay looking that way with proper maintenence?
if done right, and given enough time to polish, yes it can look very very shiny.

yes if you maintain well, it will look good. but keep in mind, that requires some pretty consistent maintainence. brake dust eat into polish fast