Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Zauber Gettin advice request...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 01:02 PM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zauber Gettin advice request...

Sup guys! As some of you guys know I have a set of 19" Gettins. I took them to get polished and to have some minor lip rash fixed, but the guy totally wrecked my wheels. The lip now no longer has a mirror polished finish. It instead looks like brushed aluminum, just like the spokes. Also, there is a line going all the way around the wheel which makes the edge of the lip look seperate from the rest of the lip. Finally, the guy clear coated the lip without cleaning or polishing the inner lip AND he clear coat he put on is VERY ripply. It loks like it's in need of a serious wet sanding. Ya, my wheels are trashed!! But they can be repaired happily. They will have to be stripped and repolished obviously. I don't want to take it back to that guy, but since I paid him I am gonna let him fix it (and pray that he actually does fix it).

Okay the advice I want is: Should I tell the guy to NOT clear coat the wheel or is a clear coat a necessity?

Thanx in advance for any advice.

Ron
Old 05-20-05, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man, is he an idiot?! doesn't seem like he knows jack about wheel polishing... i wonder how good the second try would be....

sorry to hear that man

clear coat or not that's up to you. i dont have any so i can clean them up as much as i want that's all
Old 05-20-05, 02:02 PM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
man, is he an idiot?! doesn't seem like he knows jack about wheel polishing... i wonder how good the second try would be....

sorry to hear that man

clear coat or not that's up to you. i dont have any so i can clean them up as much as i want that's all
What's up Henry!!! loooong time man!!!

Ya, the dude is a pure idiot! It's a long involved story, but I will probably post about it another time.

So, you have chrome wheels or polished? From what I understand, you don't have to clear chrome wheels, but polished wheels are different. If you have polished wheels, how long have you had them without clearcoat? And do they get faded and begin to take on a dull look after a while?

Lemme know! Thanx!

Ron
Old 05-20-05, 02:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know you paid him but I don't know if I'd trust him with these very hard to replace rims.

Also, Henry has silver face with polished, no clear lips.
Old 05-20-05, 08:06 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey Ron, sorry about that earlier man, I'd just gotten to SEMA IAS. Anyways, I vote non-cleared. I have full polished, no clear and you have seen my wheels (old Techniks and new Trials) on a few different occasions, always blangin' LOL

I will tell you how to take care of the non cleared polished, your a pretty meticlulous guy, it won't be hard at all
Old 05-20-05, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MSBoy
What's up Henry!!! loooong time man!!!

Ya, the dude is a pure idiot! It's a long involved story, but I will probably post about it another time.

So, you have chrome wheels or polished? From what I understand, you don't have to clear chrome wheels, but polished wheels are different. If you have polished wheels, how long have you had them without clearcoat? And do they get faded and begin to take on a dull look after a while?

Lemme know! Thanx!

Ron
yup ron, that's me

anyway, i have silver centers with polished lips with no clear coat on the lips. i am not a fan of bling bling myself.

for the lips, brake dust do eat into the polish pretty easily, that's why you need constnt maintanence otherwise you are asking for trouble. but the good thing over the polish lip with clear coat is that you can polish the lips yourself as shiny as you want, and with clear coat, over time it will get swirl and start to get blurry
Old 05-21-05, 02:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Hey Ron, sorry about that earlier man, I'd just gotten to SEMA IAS. Anyways, I vote non-cleared. I have full polished, no clear and you have seen my wheels (old Techniks and new Trials) on a few different occasions, always blangin' LOL

I will tell you how to take care of the non cleared polished, your a pretty meticlulous guy, it won't be hard at all
What D and Neo said. And Henry
Old 05-22-05, 06:55 PM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Thanx guys!! I am gonna follow the advice you all gave... gonna get them polished without a clear coat.

Now, to update you all on what hapened when I went to see the guy who ruined my wheel this Saturday... I went to his shop and he fed me a heep of BS about nothing and proceeded to defend his garbage error on my wheels. (I will tell this story in better detail in a new thread warning all of you to stay away from is hubcap/wheel shop). So I will not be having him fix my wheels. Honestly, I don't think he is capable, as someone here already mentioned.

Moral of the story is: I paid considerably less and I GOT WHAT I PAID FOR. I wound up going to the guy I should have gone to initially to fix my wheels. He went on to give me a price of $125 per wheel to strip the jacked up clear coat and properly polish my wheels. That's a total of $600 to fix the damage!!! ...sigh. I am supposed to take my wheels to him this coming Wednesday night... unless any of you here can recommend another spot that you may know of that is REPUTABLE and a little less expensive??? Lemme know.

Thanx.

Ron