Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Car wanders after new tires installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 02:05 PM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Car wanders after new tires installed

Hi,

I just had some Michelin Energy MXV4 plus installed on my 2002 GS 300. It seems to drift or wander, or in other words I constantly have to minutely steer to the right or left. Has anyone experienced this? I appreciate any help.

I also notice a slight pull to the right all the time. Very minute but there. Car had 35K on old tires and they had worn perfect. 35K miles on car at this time also.

Stock 16" rims.
Old 06-08-05, 02:12 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a bunch of issues:

- overinflated tires?
- alignment done?
- directional tires put on backwards?
Old 06-08-05, 02:31 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

probably alignment issues.
Old 06-08-05, 03:17 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably not alignment issue because it happened after new tires. Also the Energy MXV4 Plus tires are not directional tires AFAIK.

Some tires are simply born "directionally challenged," especially tires with very smooth thread. The Energy MXV4 Plus may be one of these tires. The OEM Goodyear Integrity tires on my RX300 also wander a lot, especially on windy highways. In these cases, there may be little you can do. You can try experiment with different tire pressure to see if things improve.

Be sure to check tire pressure and lug nut torque. Tire shops (even some Lexus dealers) routinely put wrong/unequal tire pressure and over torque the lug nuts.
Old 06-08-05, 06:32 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

in my experiences with this, an alignment done by hand fixed my problems.

in any case, good luck with everything.
Old 06-09-05, 06:47 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Thanks for the response. I know the way to correct it to increase the toe a little. I am surprised with these tires. They are on everything from the accord, hydai, cadillac cts, infinity g35. I tried to get the original bridestones but they were $180 each!!! turanze er30
Old 06-09-05, 10:20 AM
NoS
Lexus Champion

This may help,

Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a "break-in" period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a "release lubricant" is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you "low tread depth tires respond quicker." Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down.
Old 06-10-05, 07:04 AM
XYZLexus1
Intermediate

Thanks NOs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the article is accurate my last tires were almost bald.