Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20" Wheels? BBK? So what about flats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 11:45 PM
Rondo1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Wheels? BBK? So what about flats?

So folks, I've got 20" wheels and today installed BBK's.....and then it dawned on me. My spare in the trunk is an old 17" wheel!! I might get away with that wheel on the rear for a very short distance, but these big fat Stop Tech calipers on 14" rotors ain't havin' it when it comes to that 17" wheel. So guys - what did you do about it? Am I now forced to go out and buy a 20" wheel/tire specifically for "in case of flat tire", or what? AAA? What are you guys doing?
Old 07-21-05, 12:03 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the L-Tuned 18" Salinas as my spare. They fit over the StopTechs. Bitkahuna is doing the same thing. Another option is the new 06 18" GS430 wheels. Since the new 430 has bigger brakes, the rims fit larger brakes. There is also 18" G35c wheels.

Basically, it comes down to 18s that can clear BBKs.
Old 07-21-05, 01:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

neo is right, you need 18s with bbk clearance. on the market, i think the g35c wheels are a good bet
Old 07-21-05, 03:59 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neo, were you able to purchase just on Salina and if so where did you get it and how much? I have also been looking for a spare but not having much luck.
Old 07-21-05, 05:40 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Same boat here, i'm going to order a single donz wheel to have as a spare unless i can get my hands on a g35 wheel. but let me ask anoth Q? If you have 20's and drop an 18 as a spare won't you throw off your alignment or something?
Old 07-21-05, 10:22 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by bluelex
Same boat here, i'm going to order a single donz wheel to have as a spare unless i can get my hands on a g35 wheel. but let me ask anoth Q? If you have 20's and drop an 18 as a spare won't you throw off your alignment or something?
The setup is not optimal but hopefully, the spare won't be on the car for long. Although weight distribution wiil be different, you can get a 245/45 tire to put on the 18s. This will take care of the height/diameter issue.

One minor problem is that it may be too big to put in the wheel well in the rear of the car since the diameter is 1" bigger than OEM.
Old 07-21-05, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

putting on 18s will definitely affect the alignment and the way the car drives. just imagine having stock wheels and then put on a donut. that's pretty much the EXACT same scenario. the car will pull one side.

but that's the solution solution too, coz' you can't get a 20s spare (even if you have money) since i don't think it will fit into that hole in the trunk (pleaes say so if it fits).

and also, make sure if there is a flat on any of the rear wheel, put the spare in the front and move that front wheel to the back. otherwise i think it could be too much stress on the differential
Old 07-21-05, 10:37 PM
Rondo1
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
putting on 18s will definitely affect the alignment and the way the car drives. just imagine having stock wheels and then put on a donut. that's pretty much the EXACT same scenario. the car will pull one side.

but that's the solution solution too, coz' you can't get a 20s spare (even if you have money) since i don't think it will fit into that hole in the trunk (pleaes say so if it fits).

and also, make sure if there is a flat on any of the rear wheel, put the spare in the front and move that front wheel to the back. otherwise i think it could be too much stress on the differential
Then there's those of us who have 8.5" wheels upfront and 9.5" in back. So I can't move a rear wheel to the front. Sounds to me that I just relegated myself to a tow if I ever get a flat - good grief.
Old 07-21-05, 11:03 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by Rondo1
Then there's those of us who have 8.5" wheels upfront and 9.5" in back. So I can't move a rear wheel to the front. Sounds to me that I just relegated myself to a tow if I ever get a flat - good grief.
Why would you move a rear wheel to the front? rominl suggested putting a front to the rear if there was a flat in the rear and then put the spare in front. Obviously if there was a front flat, then just put the spare there.
Old 07-22-05, 01:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, as neo said, there is no reason and point to put the rear wheel in the front. heck my 10 will not even come close to fit in the front
Old 07-22-05, 06:23 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

so it does make more sense for alignment reasons to get a 20x8.5 spare to use in case of emergenacy...

rom i asked for i don't have any spare in my trunk as is anyway, haven't had in about 2 years..
Old 07-22-05, 10:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so it does make more sense for alignment reasons to get a 20x8.5 spare to use in case of emergenacy...

rom i asked for i don't have any spare in my trunk as is anyway, haven't had in about 2 years..
oh so you don't have spare, that's right. but yeah, i thought about it for a long time too, normal setup will have problems for sure, just like donuts, but i would hate if i can't put my spare in that space anymore
Old 07-22-05, 12:22 PM
Neo
The One

Unless you are planning to drive on the spare for an extended amount of time, you can probably get away with any setup that has the same outer diameter. That means 18s with 245/45 or 19s with 245/40. The weight and rotational mass will be different but unless you have the exact same rim and tire for the one that is flat, this discrepancy will exist (in varying amounts) anyway.

Even if your spare rim is a 20 that is different from your Gettins, there is no guarantee that the weight is the same. Just treat the spare as a spare and minimize traveling with it, or drive less aggressively with it. Then just fix the flat and put the right wheel back on.
Old 07-22-05, 01:50 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Just call a flatbed and call it a day lol
Old 07-22-05, 03:57 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, that's why I have AAA. Flatbed it.

Quick Reply: 20" Wheels? BBK? So what about flats?