Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

special lug nuts needed for BBS rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-05, 06:58 PM
Billbosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default special lug nuts needed for BBS rims?

Hi

Over three years ago I purchased (used- NOT from tire rack) a set of 17" BBS RX rims for my 99 GS400. I then put on a new set of BFG Gforce T/A KDWS. Since day 1 there has always been a vibration in the steering wheel, sometimes more severe than others. I took it to four different places over the years (including Lexus dealership), and nobody could diagnose the problem- I heard stories of bent rims, tires out of round, etc. I was at my wits end.

Finally today I went to a local Goodyear dealer here in the DC area- Crawford tire. The tech immediately figured out the problem. He told me that BBS rims require special BBS lug nuts, and the current Lexus lug nuts did not seat properly. I called Tire Rack, who confirmed this, and today I ordered a set of BBS lug nuts ($1 each). I am really curious to know whether this will work (I will keep the forum posted)

Can anybody else verify that special lug nuts are required for these rims?

This is the last time I buy a set of used rims. If I bought them new, then they would have come with the special lug nuts.

Thanks,

Bill B.

99 GS4
05 Jag X-type wagon
77 Trans Am Bandit
67 Olds 442
89 Volvo 245 DL
Old 09-06-05, 01:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am not sure about bbs lug nuts directly, but i thought they are just the normal tapered ones?

if anything, you definitely should NOT use the lexus original lug nuts for the oem wheels on most aftermarket wheels. that's very special (or rare and unusual if you call it) type of lug nuts
Old 09-08-05, 08:11 PM
Billbosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my lug nuts from Tire Rack yesterday, and they are smaller than the stock Lexus nuts, and have a similar tapered configuration. I installed them and I have the same vibration problem. My next step is to get new centering rings, since it's possible that I have the wrong/defective ones on the rims now (not sure what king of car the rims were previously on).
I'll keep you posted.
-Bill
Attached Thumbnails special lug nuts needed for BBS rims?-imgp0801_resize.jpg