Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Decision Time - Help needed with new tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 04:56 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Decision Time - Help needed with new tires

Hello All,

I have a 98 GS400 with the factory 17s and Bridgestone Potenza RE030s. The tires have close to 30K and need replacing because two are leaking and the tread is getting down there. I should have replaced them long ago. These things tramline so bad. They suck the fun out of driving the car on older, highly traveled by truck roads. Any groove or rut will be followed by these tires.

I am looking for a replacement tire with equal or greater performance (dry and wet traction/handling, noise, smoothness/ride quality, longevity, etc) that the RE030s have without the tramlining. I don’t need snow traction as I won’t be driving it in inclement weather. Another thing, I don’t really want to spend more than $125.00/ tire if I don’t have to and the tire has to last at least 25K.

Now I don’t road race, drift or drive 100+ mph. Spirited driving, around turns and exit ramps, however, takes place daily. Also important, is a smooth, comfortable, quiet ride.

Tires I am considering:

• Avon Tech M500
• Cooper Zeon 2XS – Chuck from Team Lexus recommends them but a couple of shops have talked me out of them, recommending a less aggressive Cooper Tire.
• Falkens Ziex 512s
• Yokohama AS430 – Club Lexus member has and likes them
• B.F. Goodrich g-Force Sport

I am leaning towards the Avons based on the reviews I have read on tirerack.com. Does anyone have any experiences with any of these tires and the Potenza Re030s who can make a direct comparison or offer an opinion?

Again, I’d buy the Potenzas if they didn’t tramline and weren’t outrageously priced so anything comparable or better will fit the bill.

Another option is to replace my tires and wheels with the 5 spokes off a 2006 GS. A Club Lexus member from NY has them on his GS300 and they look good. They seemed to fit well. Would I need to buy any spacers, new lug nuts, etc to get them to fit? Are they the same offset as the 17s?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks..

Neil
Old 09-04-05, 10:25 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

\What is the exact tire size & speed rating you need?

Stay clear of the Bridgestone Potenza's......but give me the tire size & I'll be able to advise.

The Falken Ziex ZE-512's are a Fantastic choice!
Old 09-04-05, 10:36 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Factory 235/45/17.

Thanks..

Neil
Old 09-04-05, 10:38 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

I forgot the speed rating. The Bridgestones are Z but I haven't gone over 100mph let alone sustained speeds of 149+ so....

I would image anything H or greater will suffice.

Thanks..

Neil
Old 09-04-05, 01:51 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Neil64
I forgot the speed rating. The Bridgestones are Z but I haven't gone over 100mph let alone sustained speeds of 149+ so....

I would image anything H or greater will suffice.

Thanks..

Neil
I agree that anything H speed rated or above is good.

In addition to the Falkens already mentioned, & based on what your looking for in a tire, I would also recommend you have a look at the following:

- Toyo Proxes 4

- Pirelli P-Zero Nero (available in V or W speed ratings)

- Yokohama Avid H4S

- Avon Tech M550 A/S (this looks like very good value & good ratings on tirerack)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

These are probably the best available in an all season application that won't break the bank if you will. Good Luck & I hope this helps!
Old 09-04-05, 04:19 PM
03GGPIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Falken Ziex 512 are probably the best tires for the money. Good treadwear too.
Old 09-04-05, 05:00 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Need Tires

I don't neccessarily need all season tires unless they perform as good or better than the Bridgestones Potenzos RE030s. If they do, that will a huge + but I will not drive the car if snow is in the forecast.

Thanks..

Neil
Old 09-04-05, 08:36 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by 03GGPIS300
The Falken Ziex 512 are probably the best tires for the money. Good treadwear too.
The 55 series & lower (50,45 etc) are only rated for 30,000 miles 03GG......60 series & higher are good for 60,000 miles.

Neil, you mentioned 'longevity' as one of the criteria your looking for in a replacement tire.......most summer only tires are not built for long mileage I'm afraid. How many miles did you manage on your Bridgestones?

Here is a intresting & current thread on the exact subject.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176151
Old 09-05-05, 06:36 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Got 29K Out of my Bridgestones

I currently have 29K + on my Bridgestones. I could get more miles on them but 2 of them are leaking air and they just tramline like you wouldn't believe.

As long as I can get 25K or more out of a tire, I'll be OK with that. Again, if there is an all season tire, that performs comparably to the Bridgestones that is reasonably priced, I'll seriously consider them.

Barring that, I am considering the:

Avon Tech M500
Cooper Zeon 2XS
Falken Zies 512s

Question: Do the Priellii P Zero Neros tramine? I ask because most reviewers say they have a soft sidewall. Is a soft side wall the cause of tramlining?

Thanks..

Neil
Old 09-05-05, 09:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool The Falken 512's are A/S

The Falken Ziex ZE-512's are all seasons dude.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_512.htm

Those are probably your best bet then.
Old 09-05-05, 10:55 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sumitomo HTR Z II They are 89.00 per tire at tire rack and I have used them for many years on my GS400 with extremely favorable results. I thought they handled as good or better than the Polepositon S02's and gave longer life.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=345WR7HTRZ2
Old 09-05-05, 02:31 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by morris
Sumitomo HTR Z II They are 89.00 per tire at tire rack and I have used them for many years on my GS400 with extremely favorable results. I thought they handled as good or better than the Polepositon S02's and gave longer life.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=345WR7HTRZ2
Falken's are made by Sumitomo just so everyone knows.
Old 09-06-05, 12:12 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Falken Ziex 512s

So, the Falken Ziex 512s All Season tires perform as good if not better than the Bridgestone Potenza RE030 ultra performance tire minus the tramlining?

I went to Sears last night to check out the Falkens. They salesperson tried to talk me out of the them and into the Sumitomo HTR +.

As i wasn't familiar with tire I wanted to research it before buying it. I hope to get a chance to read about them this week.

Thoughts?

Thanks..

Neil

I
Old 09-07-05, 09:24 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Neil64
So, the Falken Ziex 512s All Season tires perform as good if not better than the Bridgestone Potenza RE030 ultra performance tire minus the tramlining?

I went to Sears last night to check out the Falkens. They salesperson tried to talk me out of the them and into the Sumitomo HTR +.

As i wasn't familiar with tire I wanted to research it before buying it. I hope to get a chance to read about them this week.

Thoughts?

Thanks..

Neil

I
Well I have no personal experence with the HTR+ so I can't comment. Check out what owners are saying on tirerack is my best suggestion there.......why was the sales guy trying to talk you out of the Falkens exactly? & what were the prices of each?
Old 09-09-05, 03:09 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default New Tires

The salesman at Sears told me that the Falkens are good but the Sumotoms are better: better grip and smoother. He said the Falkens have a harsh ride and slide around a bit.

I am really torn between the Falkens and the Avons.

Thoughts?

Thanks..

Neil

Quick Reply: Decision Time - Help needed with new tires