Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Should I get staggered wheels or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 05:03 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Bumping an older thread so I don't get yelled at for starting my own...

My Dad and our neighbor (who is a mechanic, and his word is like a commandment from God to my Dad) both reccomend I stick with a non-staggered combo. Their reasoning is that the tires can't be rotated, and that the front will wear down in half the time of the rears.

Is the wearing issue true? Obviously they can't be rotated, but I hadn't heard about the wearing.

I had considered running TT wheels because of price (where can I get OEM quality wheels for >$600 besides TTs?), looks, and the aggressive fitment (conservative but still looks great from the rear).
I've had debates with mechanics before who know very little about this subject. Mainly because they have never bought or used high performance wheels/tires. I'll agree that you can't do the normal rotation but staggered tires can be taken off the wheel and rotated fron one side to the other. A bit more work but you should take the car in for balancing anyway when rotating. What's a little more work for the technician.
For me personally, I never rotate tires, even without a staggered fitment. They never feel the same once moved. Tires become accustomed to the wear characteristics from being in a particular position. Once you place them elsewhere after thousands of miles, they have to get used to another wear pattern. Tires are not made fully of rubber. There are other materials in the modern tire that don't easily adapt to these changes as well as pure rubber. I've found that if you check the ari pressure monthly, allign twice a year, the need for rotation decreases significantly.
Go staggered young man!
Old 10-07-05, 06:08 AM
SC300_07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your cool ull get em.
Old 10-08-05, 06:35 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...

So I'm sitting at dinner tonight with Mom, Dad, and my sister (who is irrelevent to this conversation). I decided to bring up the wheels since we were all together, which is a rare thing.

Yadda, yadda, yadda... Dad's not paying for staggered tires because of wear and staggered is out of the question. Period. When I'm out of college and they're no longer helping me with the necessities to keep the car running properly, tires being that, then I can get staggered all I want.

Then they said, that since I'm not getting staggered, then I might as well just keep the stock 16's and put new [modest performance] tires on it that'll last me until I can afford my own wheels and tires.

I showed this thread to my Dad. He only noticed the posts that mention the tire wear, and must have missed the other 100 that said "go for it!!!" or reccomended that I pick up the TT wheels. I also don't think he took into consideration, the fact that the people who said they couldn't afford it now were running much more extreme wheel and suspension setups than I would think of, thus making the tires wear even more rapidly. I could be wrong though.

So- final questions:

If I were to run Tein SS (which I'd like to by the end of winter) and keep the car sitting 1-1.25" below stock, with good alignment, no camber, proper tire inflation, etc... would the staggered tires still wear so differently?

I plan to use this car for a local "just for fun" auto-x club that meets once a month. I probably won't run every month, but I would like to do it occaisionally. How much would a staggered setup help me? Keep in mind, this is also my daily driver. How much would my stock wheel setup (with upgraded performance street tires) hinder me? How 'bout 18x9 all around? 18x8? I've done the searching, but I'd like to get all of my answers in one place so that if I find something that proves a staggered setup safe for me car, I'll be able to show my parents.
Old 10-09-05, 03:59 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, I'm a parent. I say now that you've made your case and he still said no, leave it alone. I've taught my kids to never badger me after I've given a "no" answer because that's how life is. Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't. I taught them that's the great part about growing and preparing yourself for life. One day you can get whatever you want. Parents aren't always right but they are the boss. It's disrespectful to continue with it. If it were me, I'd go out and get a job and buy my own wheels. Don't make an issue of it, just go out and make your own money. Just think of it this way. If you had a kid, would you want them to continue on something you've said no about? You've got a lot of years ahead, let it go.
Old 10-09-05, 05:35 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would ALWAYS do staggered wheels on EVERY RWD car...no matter what!
Old 10-09-05, 09:15 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Hey, I'm a parent. I say now that you've made your case and he still said no, leave it alone. I've taught my kids to never badger me after I've given a "no" answer because that's how life is. Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't. I taught them that's the great part about growing and preparing yourself for life. One day you can get whatever you want. Parents aren't always right but they are the boss. It's disrespectful to continue with it. If it were me, I'd go out and get a job and buy my own wheels. Don't make an issue of it, just go out and make your own money. Just think of it this way. If you had a kid, would you want them to continue on something you've said no about? You've got a lot of years ahead, let it go.

You're probably right. I'll just look into somethng non-staggered.

I do work though. That's how I'm paying for my car. I work for the auto brokerage I bought her from.