Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Goodyear F1 or Toyo T1-R or Pilot AS or ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 03:01 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear F1 or Toyo T1-R or Pilot AS or ?

I am shopping for tires while I wait for the rims I ordered from DXC for my 05 SC430. My sizes are 245/35/19F and 275/30/19
Not only do I want a good performance tire, but I want a quiet tire that has a good looking profile to go with the shape of the car. I don't mind spending a little more where I am spending this much allready.

This is the priceing i got so far on these models. Which would you go with. Keep in mind these are canadian prices
245/35/19 275/30/19

Michelin pilot AS $474 $561 installed&balanced
Toyo T1-R $408 $520 installed&balanced
Goodyear F1 GSD3 $484 $494 plus $25ea. install &balance

Any opinions would be appreciatted
Old 09-29-05, 03:07 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say go with the Toyos...They are quiet and perform great wet or dry traction..They also ride soft, you'll definitely need a soft ride with 19 inch low profiles....I dunno much about the other two tires tho..But Im sure you'll be happy with the Toyos..
Old 09-29-05, 03:42 PM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

see this sticky
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113019
Old 09-29-05, 04:49 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camillian
I am shopping for tires while I wait for the rims I ordered from DXC for my 05 SC430. My sizes are 245/35/19F and 275/30/19
Not only do I want a good performance tire, but I want a quiet tire that has a good looking profile to go with the shape of the car. I don't mind spending a little more where I am spending this much allready.

This is the priceing i got so far on these models. Which would you go with. Keep in mind these are canadian prices
245/35/19 275/30/19

Of the 3 you list, the goodyear and toyo are "summer" tires while the michelin are all season.
Don't even think about driving in snow with any high performance summer tire. All three are good but it depends on what your needs are.. For me, I have a summer setup and a winter setup. In winter, I change over to the stock 17's with the Michelin pilot sport AS.
Old 09-29-05, 05:56 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rheiy
Of the 3 you list, the goodyear and toyo are "summer" tires while the michelin are all season.
Don't even think about driving in snow with any high performance summer tire. All three are good but it depends on what your needs are.. For me, I have a summer setup and a winter setup. In winter, I change over to the stock 17's with the Michelin pilot sport AS.
These will be on expensive after market rims and just for summer driving. The only bad weather driving will be in the rain. The car will be in the garage for the winter and only taken out on dry days. Not in the snow!

Would that effect your decision?
Old 09-29-05, 06:32 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

My vote is for the Toyo T1-R. This is a great tire
Old 09-29-05, 06:43 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Default is Toyo a top performer?

Why didn't the Toyo's make the Tire racks top 6 performer list?
Old 09-29-05, 07:40 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

I would guess that it is because the Tire Rack does not carry/sell Toyo.

I just purchased these a week ago. Will not be installing them for another week or two, but will be posting my reviews after they are on. GS300Rich has these on his GS and loves them. The tread design is very nice as well.
Attached Thumbnails Goodyear F1 or Toyo T1-R or Pilot AS or ?-dsc00722-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-29-05, 07:43 PM
TPA_STEVE
Driver

Default Why not top 6?

Tire Rack does not sell these tires so it probably means their list is top 6 tires they sell. Mods should be able to verify this. I followed Rich's lead and bought the Toyo's - got them from online tires for a very good price. Waiting on iForged wheels now - and my 4th tire as FEDEX delivered it to wrong address.
Old 09-29-05, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

of the 3, if i want best performance i would get the toyo t1r easy

but i have the pilot as for my gs400 now, why? they are quiet, they have damn nice tread wear (best of the 3 i think), and they are comfortable. still they maintain very good traction imho
Old 09-30-05, 03:04 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

245/35/19 275/30/19

It all comes down to what your looking for in a tire......keep in mind that the GY & Toyo are Summer rubber & the Michelin is an UHPAS tire (hence part of the reason why they are the most expensive of your group). Folks have been praising the Toyo's up & down on this site for a while now........so I'm leaning towards them.
Old 09-30-05, 04:22 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

These will be on expensive after market rims and just for summer driving. The only bad weather driving will be in the rain. The car will be in the garage for the winter and only taken out on dry days. Not in the snow!

Would that effect your decision?
As long as your not concerned about snow and you don't mind shorter tread wear, I would go with a HP summer tire over an AS tire. In fact, I plan to replace my current summer dunlop sp9000's with the new toyo t1r's. However, if you do want a AS tire that's almost as good as the other 2, go with the Mich PS AS
Old 09-30-05, 04:55 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i have the toyo t1 r as well , i have had them for about a month now... very quiet tire, awesome traction in wet and very grippy tire on dry in fact its very hard for me to induce lock up with my 4 corner brake upgrade

their is one key point that no one has mentioned with these tires...

they were designed to resist neg camber wera on inner and outer parts of the tire.. they broke up the shoulder treads on inner and outer and ran a thin solid piece of rubber so the tire sits on that and the solely on the tread blocks to eat them away

great tire but be advised , for the first 500 miles or so they will feel abit dicey, the tread blocks squirm like crazy until the get scrubbed after that watch out for the boys in blue
Old 09-30-05, 05:24 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Wow the Toyo's seem to be the tire of choice here.

I was leaning towards the goodyears because of the high scores it got on tire rack's rating. A total of 8.8 the highest overall rating. It has excellent wet and dry grip, and excellent noise levels.
I'll have to re think this.

Now if only I could get a good deal on these in Canada
Old 09-30-05, 09:54 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you need to maximize traction and handling, I like the Pilot AS. Yes they are more $ but the tread rating is great. You get more wear out of them which will offset the cost. I had a set of the original Michelin Pilots and they were great. They wore well and only got a little louder as they wear down. The AS has different properties but from owners' feedbacks, the AS behave similarly.

The Toyos are also nice if you want a great summer tire. The Goodyear has had mixed reviews from owners here on CL.

Quick Reply: Goodyear F1 or Toyo T1-R or Pilot AS or ?