Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

rims? need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 01:09 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Solo - Thanks for watching my back!

The Altstadts should fit on the SC430 with no problem. I can't image Lexus did any radical measurment changes with the SC430...I know a few places that sell Altstadts and I plan on (hopefully) importing them soon...you can try Dave at GTA for now (www.gtautosports.com). I think he'll have the best prices (for now!) you can also try Dayle aka Soarer007 (not Dale from Shin-Kai)...

As for the winter wheels, I have NO experience with winter wheels (I live in Southern California!)...I checked TireRack for you and they have NOTHING for the SC430 yet...

A 245/40-18 should fit on a 8.5" rim (unless the Tire manufacturer specifies otherwise) and I can't image you'd have any issues with getting them on the Altstadts...

But rather than doing that, why not do some 19" Altstadts for summer and then put the winter tires on the stock 18" rims and just change out rims during the winter. This will keep the Altstadts in primo condition (harsh tempuratures, road salt, etc...why do that to your nice new Altstadts? )

Yuu Dawg - If you're a full time student, maybe you should worry about the rims after you're done with school. Seriously, why even spend $10 on rims? Spend in on school supplies and proper MAINTANANCE for your car...when I was going to school, I didn't have money either but I could have bought say $1500 rims for my ride (on a credit card), but then I thought WHY BOTHER? I'd rather put it towards a new computer that would help me out with school...I didn't give a **** about fixing up the car because I knew the best I could do was half-*** at the time...I was just happy to have a good working car (I had a Honda Accord LX at the time, nothing special, but it got me to school, work, and back home reliably)
Old 07-18-01, 02:39 AM
YuuDawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

solomon, i was chill, i was just explaining why i'm not spending a lot on rims
and i'm the type of person that needs to get something (like rims) once it's in my head that i want them
damn, man it looks like you need to chill, or at least you got your shift key stuck

nah, i don't believe in school =)

thanks for all the input though, manaray i appreciate your honest opinion

sorry if i'm gonna mess up my car with these, i figure i'm gonna swap out the rims when i can afford new ones anyways =)
Old 07-18-01, 11:10 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

This forum section covers every Lexus coupe from the 1992 SC300 to the 2001 SC430.

That would cover cars ranging from about $12K to $70K+

YuuDawg happens to own a 1996 SC300. Depending on its condition it would probably sell for around $20K.

I think it makes no sense to put $5K+ wheel/tire combo on a $20K car.

This is not a matter of performance. Any 19 inch wheel is going to be heavy and WILL NOT perform as well as a good light 17inch wheel.

This is simply a matter of jewelry for the car which is cool. I think things should be kept in perspective.

$5K wheels on a $20K car = wannabe pimp.

Also, the Altstadt IV as discussed here: http://home.earthlink.net/~cvlocas/wheels.html is 18*8.5, 24.5 lbs and is cast. Not bad but I don't see anything special with that. For $5K wheel/tire combo, I would want a three piece FORGED wheel.

My opinon nothing more.

-Mr. Wigggles

Last edited by MrWigggles; 07-18-01 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-18-01, 02:14 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally posted by YuuDawg
solomon, i was chill, i was just explaining why i'm not spending a lot on rims
and i'm the type of person that needs to get something (like rims) once it's in my head that i want them
damn, man it looks like you need to chill, or at least you got your shift key stuck

nah, i don't believe in school =)

thanks for all the input though, manaray i appreciate your honest opinion

sorry if i'm gonna mess up my car with these, i figure i'm gonna swap out the rims when i can afford new ones anyways =)
Y. D. - Hey Man, I owe you an apology. When I first glanced at your thread about considering installing the "Knock-Off" Wheels on your car, I thought that you were considering saving a few bucks and putting them on a new SC 430. Now that Mr. Wiggles has enlightened me as to the fact that your Ride is one of the Finer '96 SC 300 Models, I get the picture. Sorry to have hasseled with you Brother.

You're well ahead of the game, for being a Full-Time Student and also working Full Time. When I was at Ohio State back in the 60's, my ride was a "Hot" Blue /White Morris Minor 2 Door Stick. My only modification that I could afford was to install a rear-trunk mounted radio antenna @ 45 degrees, for more of a "Rakish" look.

At that time in my life, struggeling through College, Fraternity Parties, and the increasingly exspensive price of Rolling Rock Beer, was about all that I could handle, in addition to my Part Time Job. Been there.......Done That too dude.

In the old days, you were advised to wait around until you could pay cash on the barrel head, and then buy the very best Grade / Quality for the money. Still makes sense today, depending on how long a fellow wants to wait.

Your "Ride" should be fun, and it's appearance make you feel good, feel proud, and happy.

Whatever floats your boat, you should do.Life's pretty short man. You're born, you make car payments, and eventually, you die. Somewhere along the line, you should just "Go For It!"

That's America, Amigo!
Old 09-24-05, 07:38 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

All I can say is do what you want. It's your car and you pay the bills. I can afford to buy HRE or another for my cars, but I am definately not spending that kind of money right now on my SC300. Why spend almost as much on wheels as this car cost in todays market? I respect those that spend the money on nice rims and I have done the same on some of my other cars, but not this one ......not yet. I am sure once I am done with all my performace mods and the car is worth more and is no longer a stock $6-7k car I will reconsider and sell the ones I have, but for now knockoffs are ok for me.

The bottom line is you have to do what feels right to you and those wheels look alot better than the stock ones

This would be a totally different story if you where buying for performance reasons as apposed to for looks; for that purpose I would say don't do it!
Old 09-24-05, 08:01 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

dag dude u brought back a thread almost 4 and a half years old
Old 09-24-05, 08:15 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

Yep, I was searching a key word and started reading without looking at the dates
LOL that is the funniest thing I have ever done on a forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Three years on Supraforums, two on Bimmerforums, and several others and this is definately a first I would delete it out of embaresment, but it is to damn funny even to me!

Like they say if you can't laugh at yourself.....................................
Old 09-24-05, 08:16 PM
seeya
Lead Lap

that's what I get for getting on the forums at 11pm after partying!